PDA

View Full Version : I was listening to the Score last night, and...

hsnterprize
07-17-2004, 09:40 AM
Some guy called in after the host criticized Sammy Sosa's lack of coming through in the clutch in yesterday's loss to Milwaukee. This caller sounded so irate at not only the Score for being "negative" about Sosa, but also accused Sox fans for calling in and crying about hating Sosa. This caller said Sosa was the "Sox's Lou Brock", meaning the Sox traded away Sosa, and then he got hot with another team like Brock did when we went from the Cubs to the St. Louis Cardinals.

Chris Rahnje was the on-air host, and this caller said the Cubs would outdo "your St. Louis Cardinals" Chris kept on asking why the Cardinals were his Cardinals...to which the caller gave no answer. However, the tone of this caller and Chris' reponse was pretty evident...he was mad at the "negativity" Chris and others were showing towards the Cubs (never mind they're 8 games out of 1st place, and a game out of the wildcard race behind San Francisco.), and accusing Sox fans for being the source of the negativity towards Sosa...citing our "jealousy" in not having Sosa, and the jealousy we have towards all the attention the Cubs get in comparison to the Sox.

MUsoxfan
07-17-2004, 10:10 AM
I've often desired to have a selfish, cheating, wife beating, non-clutch hitting, strike-out king back on the southside. Man, I MISS HIM! I think we should do what Cub fans suggest and trade Magglio get him back. Magglio would look good in Cubbie blue!

samram
07-17-2004, 10:35 AM
Maybe Cubs fans, bored with the Goat's Curse, are looking for a new curse- The Curse of Sox Fan Negativity- upon which to blame their misfortunes. If only Sox fans would love Sammy the way Cubs fans do, well, surely he would turn that love into 110 wins for the Cubbies.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-17-2004, 10:44 AM
Maybe Cubs fans, bored with the Goat's Curse, are looking for a new curse- The Curse of Sox Fan Negativity- upon which to blame their misfortunes. If only Sox fans would love Sammy the way Cubs fans do, well, surely he would turn that love into 110 wins for the Cubbies.
I like it. I'm more than willing to help them in anyway possible to believe all the silliness that makes them "cursed" in their own minds.
:cool:

The only "curse" is the curse of embracing losing as lovable. They fill that pisshole whether they win or lose, the game's outcome is strictly an afterthought for most of the "fans" and tourists.

StrTrkker
07-17-2004, 11:15 AM
Whats so laughable about the Cub Fans who call in...not only to the Score but also to WGN & CLTV...is most of them are now saying how even if they dont win the NL Central that they're still are only 1/2 game behind in the wild card race.

Geez....I guess all that pre-season talk about the winning the division is all but forgotten.

:tongue:

daveeym
07-17-2004, 03:23 PM
I've often desired to have a selfish, cheating, wife beating, non-clutch hitting, strike-out king back on the southside. Man, I MISS HIM! I think we should do what Cub fans suggest and trade Magglio get him back. Magglio would look good in Cubbie blue! teal :duel: not teal.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-17-2004, 03:29 PM
Geez....I guess all that pre-season talk about the winning the division is all but forgotten.If they don't watch out, the wild-card talk will quickly degenerate into a discussion over whether they'll finally achieve two winning seasons in a row for the first time in 30 years.

:lynch&mcfail
"Don't worry Cubs fans, it will work out great! Stinking up the joint is how we managed to get all the top draft picks the last 10 years!"

samram
07-17-2004, 03:43 PM
If they don't watch out, the wild-card talk will quickly degenerate into a discussion over whether they'll finally achieve two winning seasons in a row for the first time in 30 years.

:lynch&mcfail
"Don't worry Cubs fans, it will work out great! Stinking up the joint is how we managed to get all the top draft picks the last 10 years!"
I still think the media would throw a giant parade the day they got win #82.

StrTrkker
07-17-2004, 04:50 PM
I still think the media would throw a giant parade the day they got win #82.I had to chuckle at this as I remember in the 1977 season the Cubs had just won their 81st game and Jack Brickhouse said after the game that no matter what at least the Cubs will have a winning season.

Turns out the Cubs lost 5 in a row to finish 81-81.

http://baseball-reference.com/

:tongue:

LongLiveFisk
07-17-2004, 11:49 PM
Yes, I heard this guy huffing and puffing and his voice rising in laughable melodrama with each word he said. Actually, I understood the point he made about Cubs fans not appreciating Sosa's offensive output, but after he made those comments about Sox fans dissing him, and Ranje told him that it's not just Sox fans calling in and ripping Sosa but also Cubs fans, this guy said that it's because they keep hearing Sox fans say these things and start believing themselves that the guy is a loser. That's the part that floored me as a Sox fan. We don't even exist so how can we have any influence on anything?

maurice
07-19-2004, 11:51 AM
Murphy and his crew were riding Sosa and the cubs all morning today. The majority opinion was that the playoffs are out of the question, because the team is too stupid to win.

Murphy must be a Sox fan.

Maximo
07-19-2004, 12:01 PM
Murphy and his crew were riding Sosa and the cubs all morning today. The majority opinion was that the playoffs are out of the question, because the team is too stupid to win.

As much as I tell myself to not listen to that junk, I must confess that I tune in to Murphy's show occasionally when the Cubs are on a "downer". Talk about moody....last Thursday morning he was all "giddy" about trade rumors (Johnson, Cabrera, Garciaparra) and predicted the Cubs would sweep the Brewers.

Today....he's calling them one of the "dumbest teams in baseball" and ready to concede not only the division, but the wildcard, as well.

He wouldn't last 20 posts as a Sox fan on this Board.

Rudy Law
07-19-2004, 03:13 PM

I'm gonna eat that Sosa Fo breakfest

Fungo
07-19-2004, 03:41 PM
Murphy and his crew were riding Sosa and the cubs all morning today. The majority opinion was that the playoffs are out of the question, because the team is too stupid to win.Their fans must be rubbing off on them.

Nellie_Fox
07-20-2004, 01:52 AM
Whats so laughable about the Cub Fans who call in...not only to the Score but also to WGN & CLTV...is most of them are now saying how even if they dont win the NL Central that they're still are only 1/2 game behind in the wild card race.Just think; then they can raise another "Wild Card Champion" pennant.