PDA

View Full Version : *Official* July 16 post-game thread vs. A's

pczarapa
07-16-2004, 11:43 PM
KC 12, Twinkies 3 - that lessens the sting in my mind. I'm not sure what it is about these west coast trips, but I'm sure happy we don't have that many games left out west.

South Side
07-17-2004, 12:28 AM
Has the situation grown so dire that we have lost all energy even to start a post game thread? I'm scared...:?:

OurBitchinMinny
07-17-2004, 12:31 AM
All I know is cleveland is coming. Im starting to worry more about them than the twinkies.

OurBitchinMinny
07-17-2004, 12:35 AM
detroit is right there too. Weve let this damn thing become a 4 team race

fquaye149
07-17-2004, 12:36 AM
All I know is cleveland is coming. Im starting to worry more about them than the twinkies.
ok. don't.

Cowch44
07-17-2004, 12:37 AM
I blame this on our 5th starter and Billy. If they didn't do some of those things, we would be like 5+ games in first.

South Side
07-17-2004, 12:38 AM
This game basically just pissed me off and I am not even thinking about Cleveland yet but about absolutely taking the next 2... What is going on with them? I just don't get it... Yeah, yeah it's baseball (slumps, highs, lows, etc...) but they just don't look like the Sox these past 2 games. If it really is this physcological crap about the West then they need to do something about it. We're getting lucky right now w/ the Twins losing both days but in reality we should be taking advantage of them right now and gaining a 2 game lead (or is it 1?), either way... This is where my faith in Ozzie comes in. I know he won't let this continue.

OEO Magglio
07-17-2004, 12:38 AM
Well we mine as well make this the post game thread now. Another ugly game, even though we lost both games the first time out there I thought the west coast jinx was over with because both games were played well but I guess not.

OurBitchinMinny
07-17-2004, 12:39 AM
ok. don't.
Why not? Their starters are pitching better and they can hit too. The longer the sox let the tigers and indians stay in the race the more confident they will become. Those teams are not pushovers.

Cowch44
07-17-2004, 12:39 AM
They just suck in the Collesium(sp?)...

South Side
07-17-2004, 12:40 AM
I blame this on our 5th starter and Billy. If they didn't do some of those things, we would be like 5+ games in first.
That's in the past... We need to blame the lack of offense and it seems now the attitude of the team. They looked absolutely pitiful out there tonight, with the exception of Carlos (despite his ****ty ****ty throw home).

OurBitchinMinny
But they suck in anaheim and seattle too. I think they lost 2/3 to seattle earlier this year up at safeco.

Cowch44
But we musn't forget that Freddy's been in the AL West his whole career so maybe he can bring us a win.

South Side
07-17-2004, 12:42 AM
They just suck in the Collesium(sp?)...
This is not a valid excuse!! It looks like the players have this idea in their head as well and it's not working!

Basten
07-17-2004, 01:00 AM
Has the situation grown so dire that we have lost all energy even to start a post game thread? I'm scared...:?:To be perfectly blunt, these losers (which these pull-happy clowns have been since roughly June of 2000) do not deserve a game thread.

Too many selfish hitters who can't hit good pitching, can't hit rookie pitching, can't hit RHP, can't hit on the road, can't hit when the team needs a big winning streak to gain some separation from the ever-mediocre Twins and in the process possibly make it more appealing for a grumpy HOF to come here -- and for JR to actually want to loosen up the purse strings and pay for said grumpy HOF.......Same old song and dance, in other words.

Today it wouldn't have mattered if Buehle had given up 2 runs in 9 innings of work - we'd still find a way to lose. I was pretty harsh on Judy yesterday, but offense put him in an unenviable position.

I have a feeling (more like deja vu) that Frank's presence wouldn't have helped much, either - nor would have Steve Finley's.

Outside of Carlos Lee (then again, his horrible throw warrants taking away his double), everybody else stunk up the joint - and in baseball, as a rule, you need at least 2-3 players to have a good game to put some runs on the board. We were flat and deserved to lose both games - you can only pull so many flukey, errr, dramatic comebacks out of your ass before baseball Gods say "no more!".

Freddy and Esteban must step up big-time in the next 2 days and not expect anything from the offense. Tough task, sure, but for the money they're making/looking to make, it's a fair request.

I would advise Ozzie to punish certain hitters for (once again) swinging for the fences, but at this point there is NOBODY to fill in their place.

:gulp:

Lip Man 1
07-17-2004, 01:15 AM
According to the Tribune story the Sox have the lowest team batting average in baseball for the month of July, they have scored two runs or less in 8 of the 12 games in the month and in the last four games they have a total of 10 runs and 19 hits.

I understand about losing Maggs and I understand about losing Frank but this is ridiculous. I'd be satisfied with one win in Oakland....that's how bad its gotten there.

Perhaps it's the culmination of tough team after tough team night after night after night since June 1st. Since that month began the Sox have played 9 series against teams that are contenders for the post season, have had a series with a team around the .500 mark (Cleveland) and have had only three series against 'bad' teams Seattle and Montreal. And in those games the Sox went only 5-4.

That is a brutal slate of games.

I don't know...I'm out of answers or speculation.

Lip

South Side
07-17-2004, 01:22 AM
According to the Tribune story the Sox have the lowest team batting average in baseball for the month of July, they have scored two runs or less in 8 of the 12 games in the month and in the last four games they have a total of 10 runs and 19 hits.

I understand about losing Maggs and I understand about losing Frank but this is ridiculous. I'd be satisfied with one win in Oakland....that's how bad its gotten there.

Perhaps it's the culmination of tough team after tough team night after night after night since June 1st.

I don't know...I'm out of answers or speculation.

Lip
Well isn't that something to be proud of... We must win the next 2 PERIOD.

Lip Man 1
07-17-2004, 01:35 AM
The way Mulder is pitching I'd be shocked if that happened.

Lip

Basten
07-17-2004, 01:37 AM
I understand about losing Maggs and I understand about losing Frank but this is ridiculous.
LipWhy are you so surprised?

This swinging-for-the-fences-refusing-to-make-constant-adjustements-and-folding-under-slightest-expectations crap has been around since June of 2000.

We're gonna put a 12-5 hurtin' on a mediocre pitcher at USCF, and then lose 3-2 and 5-3 to a hurler who can get a decent breaking ball over on the road. Then we'll bitch about how a team that scores 5.5 runs a game should have a better record according to the omniscient Pythagore.

Our pitchers are gonna nibble their way into trouble, give up the runs/lead and only THEN start attacking and jamming the hitters. After the game is lost, we will all say how they "at least gave the team a chance to win". Blech.

I figured that with the addition of Ozzie, this team would smarten up and develop some ****ing killer instinct for a change - you know, the one that allows a solid-but-not-that-great team like the Giants to go from 10 under .500 to 10 over in a span of one month, or the one that allows Texas to keep afloat despite having holes at every other position -- and why are Brewers 5 games over .500 again......?

But to no avail, there is always something that keeps this Sox team from taking off - and it's not just injuries. Maybe what we call underachieving is just good ol' lack of talent? Then again, Minnesota just flat-out blows.

I dunno, I am sure as hell getting tired of this maddening inconsistency in a hurry.

StepsInSC
07-17-2004, 02:06 AM
There's no PERIOD about it. With the Twins playing like crap, and the Tigers and Indians being the Tigers and Indians, as long as we hang around near the top of the division we'll have a shot. I could care less if we get swept in Oakland, I just want the west coast trip done with.

JB98
07-17-2004, 02:10 AM
Well, forget it. They are going to lose the next two. I turned the game off in the second inning tonight. I figure, why waste my time when I know the Sox have no chance to win? This West coast thing has become mental with the players. If they don't believe in themselves, then why should I believe in them?

The only good news is, Minnesota has failed to take advantage so far on a weekend where the schedule is clearly in their favor. This road trip is really going to be horrible. I wouldn't be stunned if we end up 2-6 or 1-7. It will turn around on the next homestand, but in the meantime, I'm afraid we might have to ride this one out. There's no use in bitching about the schedule. It's unrelenting, and the Sox just have to deal.

StepsInSC
07-17-2004, 02:10 AM
Why are you so surprised?

This swinging-for-the-fences-refusing-to-make-constant-adjustements-and-folding-under-slightest-expectations crap has been around since June of 2000.

We're gonna put a 12-5 hurtin' on a mediocre pitcher at USCF, and then lose 3-2 and 5-3 to a hurler who can get a decent breaking ball over on the road. Then we'll bitch about how a team that scores 5.5 runs a game should have a better record according to the omniscient Pythagore.

Our pitchers are gonna nibble their way into trouble, give up the runs/lead and only THEN start attacking and jamming the hitters. After the game is lost, we will all say how they "at least gave the team a chance to win". Blech.

I figured that with the addition of Ozzie, this team would smarten up and develop some ****ing killer instinct for a change - you know, the one that allows a solid-but-not-that-great team like the Giants to go from 10 under .500 to 10 over in a span of one month, or the one that allows Texas to keep afloat despite having holes at every other position -- and why are Brewers 5 games over .500 again......?

But to no avail, there is always something that keeps this Sox team from taking off - and it's not just injuries. Maybe what we call underachieving is just good ol' lack of talent? Then again, Minnesota just flat-out blows.
You hit a lot on the head. Personally I think this team is not that talented. Look at our lineup. Minny is a solid team. You indirectly mentioned how this Sox team pads their stats. Its so true. We'll win by 10 runs then not score any the next day, so of course it averages out to 5 runs per game. Whereas it seems like the Twins score a lot more consistant number of runs per game, even if it is lower than our average.

hawkjt
07-17-2004, 03:05 AM
Since Santana shut us down in Minny we have had one good offensive game, the miracle comeback against the Angels That is 1 of 12. Yea, Carlos had the two dingers in the Seattle game but that was it. It is a typical silent bat period for the whole team and without a healthy Frank we dont even get walks. They can not string any hits together. It is sad. Cleveland is getting 19 hits and 16 runs against the Seattle team we struggled to get 5 hits against. We better snap out of it in Cleveland or it could get ugly fast. Even KC is going to get healthy and will be no pushover for us.

fquaye149
07-17-2004, 08:56 AM
Why not? Their starters are pitching better and they can hit too. The longer the sox let the tigers and indians stay in the race the more confident they will become. Those teams are not pushovers.
i'm not saying they're not decent teams (though, really they're not that good) but the twins are the team to worry about. honest.

Lip Man 1
07-17-2004, 02:16 PM
I would tend to agree that if you take off the rose colored glasses the Sox are not as good as some on this board think.

I simply can't see them winning the World Series with this bunch, even if Frank was healthy. Now there are still two weeks to go until the trade deadline, we'll see what the team looks like (and where it is in the standings) on July 31st

Lip