PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie=Jerry

hawkjt
07-17-2004, 02:22 AM
Everyone ripped manuel for the kind of play that they are showing on the coast. I have always said its the players. Mgrs can only do so much. Everything looks the same as last year and the year before. Not Ozzies fault or manuels. As hawk said the players have to look in the mirror. Grind harder. Have better at bats. Jose needs to hit the ball more and talk less. Shorten your swing Joe Crede. They look like they are still on vacation. Go Sox -wake up please.

inta
07-17-2004, 04:34 AM
i agree.
it was really pissing me off tonight watching the game in the 2nd inning, after carlos got a double, everyone else hit the first pitch they saw and got out.
sure it got the run over, but c'mon... zito is a good pitcher, you don't need to swing at the first offering he throws.

i think ozzie is stressing more small ball play (at least i hope so), but i think the sox jus arent willing to do it. they need a major kick in the ass instead of expecting to hop out of this offensive slide they're in.

fquaye149
07-17-2004, 07:59 AM
you're right, but the headline of this thread makes me mentally unrested

Lip Man 1
07-17-2004, 01:12 PM
At least they have been in the games. I mean I haven't seen any 12-1 blow outs like with Manager Gandhi at the helm.

Lip

Huisj
07-17-2004, 02:17 PM
manual liked to tinker. i think it seems that ozzie kind of does the same sometimes too . . . although definitely not as bad, as some of the tinkering has been as a result of injuries.

Frater Perdurabo
07-17-2004, 02:28 PM
At least they have been in the games. I mean I haven't seen any 12-1 blow outs like with Manager Gandhi at the helm.
I agree to a point. Ozzie has managed his pitchers better, and that is evident in Garland's great leap forward this year.

The Sox improved through the subtraction of Koch, which has nothing to do with Ozzie.

The Sox desperately needed a starting pitcher, and K-Dub stepped to the plate by trading for Garcia, and then locking him up. I guess Ozzie deserves some credit for convincing Garcia to sign a 3-year deal here.

The biggest problem remains the one-dimensional offense. This problem has multiple parts: The plodding, swing for the fences mentality of Lee, Valentin, Konerko and Crede (blame=players); the lack of OBP at the top of the order (blame=GM); the lack of righty-lefty balance (blame=GM).

Every manager will cost a team a few games, and will win a team a few games, with his moves during the course of a season. Ozzie deserves very little blame for the Sox problems. It's time to re-make the roster on the fly, and that's Kenny's job.

duke of dorwood
07-17-2004, 03:08 PM
Its the Core of the team-that's rather obvious now

The Critic
07-17-2004, 04:10 PM
manual liked to tinker. i think it seems that ozzie kind of does the same sometimes too . . . although definitely not as bad, as some of the tinkering has been as a result of injuries.
I think there's a difference between adjusting or playing and hunch, and tinkering.
I am SO GLAD that I don't see the "Getaway Day Lineups" like JM loved to use, especially if the Sox had the series won. Remember THOSE? The "clear the bench, let everyone have the same day off" lineups?
UGH....

BainesHOF
07-17-2004, 04:42 PM
Shorten your swing Joe Crede.
Yes, this is getting ridiculous with Crede. He NEVER adjusts his swing. Then the only time he doesn't fly out is when we need a sacrifice fly.

Palehose13
07-17-2004, 07:14 PM

Lip
Is this something positive from Lip? :tongue: Anyway, I was thinking the same thing when I read the first post in thsi thread. I mean, sheesh...weren't the Sox outscoed something like 200-2 at Oakland last year? At least they are in these games.