PDA

View Full Version : Current Sox Team

balboner
07-16-2004, 10:17 PM
Is there anyone that actually thinks this is a playoff team without Frank for the majority of the rest of the season? The current offense is awful, with way too many easy outs in the line-up on any given night. KW needs to address the catching position, as well as the DH (w/Maggs in the OF). I don't want Everett back on the Sox. He doesn't even come close to filling the shoes of Frank, even though it would be hard to do that. Rather, I want a little more power out of the DH spot, since Ozzie obviously doesn't like to play small ball.

Cowch44
07-16-2004, 10:23 PM
Let me be the first to say
:threadblows:

The Cheat
07-16-2004, 10:36 PM
Sox>Minnesota=Playoffs.

balboner
07-16-2004, 10:44 PM
I think that right now, the Tigers and Indians have to be their licking their chops about the chances they have to win this division. The Indians would be in first place right now if they had a better bullpen, and the Tigers have the most consistent offense in the division. If the Sox struggle against the Tigers this year, the Tigers could easily end up with a better record than them.

lowesox
07-16-2004, 10:48 PM
It's so disapointing for me to continually read people post that we'll win the division because the division is weak. First of all, as a fan, I would hope that you believe that we could win because we're good - not because everybody else is bad.

Secondly, a lot of the same people who are writing the weak division stuff, are the same ones who are praising the Garcia deal. If we win this division because it sucks, doesn't that mean that we should get killed by other good teams in the playoffs?

OEO Magglio
07-16-2004, 10:59 PM
It's so disapointing for me to continually read people post that we'll win the division because the division is weak. First of all, as a fan, I would hope that you believe that we could win because we're good - not because everybody else is bad.

Secondly, a lot of the same people who are writing the weak division stuff, are the same ones who are praising the Garcia deal. If we win this division because it sucks, doesn't that mean that we should get killed by other good teams in the playoffs?It's a weak division and there is no arguing that so they do have a good shot to win the alc. If they get into the playoffs anything can happen. With as streaky as the offense is they could get hot at the right time and just mash in the playoffs or get a hot pitcher ala the marlins last year and cruise through the playoffs. Once you get into a postseason series you just don't know what can happen.

DrCrawdad
07-16-2004, 11:13 PM
I'm watching the game tonight calling out the plays before they happen. Mark allows a couple runners on then I call the HR. I said, "That's not it. After the Sox score a run they'll give it right back plus."

Runner on first, no outs, I call the DP. Immediately there is a DP.

This team is flat. This team flat out (inhales).

MisterB
07-16-2004, 11:16 PM
It's a weak division and there is no arguing that so they do have a good shot to win the alc. If they get into the playoffs anything can happen. With as streaky as the offense is they could get hot at the right time and just mash in the playoffs or get a hot pitcher ala the marlins last year and cruise through the playoffs. Once you get into a postseason series you just don't know what can happen.The Sox offense feasts on mediocre pitching. Even above average pitching can shut them down quite easily. I see a repeat of 2000 if they win the division, with the offense being non-existant.

OEO Magglio
07-16-2004, 11:20 PM
The Sox offense feasts on mediocre pitching. Even above average pitching can shut them down quite easily. I see a repeat of 2000 if they win the division, with the offense being non-existant.I won't argue with that but I'm just saying if you get into the playoffs anything can happen.

LASOXFAN
07-16-2004, 11:26 PM
How the Sox approach the A's...

:kermit

oeo
07-16-2004, 11:42 PM
Can we go to the playoffs with this offense? Yes.
Can we go far into the playoffs with this offense? Hell no.

OurBitchinMinny
07-17-2004, 12:52 AM
People need to start taking the tigers and indians serious. The yankees are a little bit better than oakland and detroit spanked them tonight. If we keep playing like this they are in it for the long haul. I was much more panicked when maggs went down. Maggs is a much better hitter than frank. Not that its a good thing frank went down. We have to see borchard way too much. .260 something in AAA translates to about .200 maybe here.

OEO Magglio
07-17-2004, 12:56 AM
People need to start taking the tigers and indians serious. The yankees are a little bit better than oakland and detroit spanked them tonight. If we keep playing like this they are in it for the long haul. I was much more panicked when maggs went down. Maggs is a much better hitter than frank. Not that its a good thing frank went down. We have to see borchard way too much. .260 something in AAA translates to about .200 maybe here.Where the heck does that come from? Some players end up hitting better in the majors then the minors when they've been down there for a while. It's completely ridiculous to say .267 in the minors translates to .200 in the majors, absolutely ridiculous. It's different for every hitter.

StepsInSC
07-17-2004, 02:12 AM

Secondly, a lot of the same people who are writing the weak division stuff, are the same ones who are praising the Garcia deal. If we win this division because it sucks, doesn't that mean that we should get killed by other good teams in the playoffs?
The playoff are one big happy crapshoot. That's why I don't care about running away with this division, people are always saying "we should be up by 5 games". But IMO as long as we hang in there, we can take it in the final few weeks. Then if by some chance we're on top, who knows what can happen in a best of 5 series. Its almost all luck from that point on.

hawkjt
07-17-2004, 03:12 AM
Best case scenario if we win this division is the Red Sox getting the wildcard and we play the Yankees first. The A's play us much tougher than any team in the league. I will play anyone not on the west coast.