PDA

View Full Version : I have a feeling KW will trade for...

Aidan
07-16-2004, 06:26 PM
...Roberto Alomar again.
Diamondbacks | Alomar on the Block - from www.KFFL.com (http://www.kffl.com/)
Fri, 16 Jul 2004 12:37:07 -0700
MLB.com's Tom Singer reports the Arizona Diamondbacks are interested in trading 2B Roberto Alomar. He brings a cheap pro-rated $1 million contract and is getting a quiet buzz on the market.

Palehose13
07-16-2004, 06:41 PM
Wasn't that bridge burned and don't the Sox have enough middle infielders?

Aidan
07-16-2004, 07:29 PM
Wasn't that bridge burned and don't the Sox have enough middle infielders?I'm not sure it was burned. With Uribe slumping and Harris being good one game and horrible the next, I could see it happening. Uribe would be the utility super-sub and Harris would go back to being a 2B/CF bench pinch runner.

patbooyah
07-16-2004, 07:31 PM
yes folks- another hypothetical trade thread started by aidan.

Cowch44
07-16-2004, 07:54 PM
Why do people start threads like this?:?:
To put ideas in our heads and make us think things could happen that won't.
Olerud, Walker, Delgado, and now Robbie...again. sheesh

Mohoney
07-17-2004, 03:11 AM
I'm not sure it was burned. With Uribe slumping and Harris being good one game and horrible the next, I could see it happening. Uribe would be the utility super-sub and Harris would go back to being a 2B/CF bench pinch runner.

I would do it, too. How much would a Unit/Finley/Robbie package cost in terms of prospects?

Aidan
07-17-2004, 03:33 AM
yes folks- another hypothetical trade thread started by aidan.It isn't just a hypothetical trade. Patbooyah, everytime you try to rip on me, I end up burning you. Maybe you should keep your mouth shut from now on. Eat this ya tool...

http://010808074621704.baseball.sportsline.com/news/7460238
Roberto Alomar, 2B, Arizona: He's on the list more because the Diamondbacks are committed to Scott Hairston as their second baseman than there being a high level of interest in the 12-time All-Star on the trade market. Alomar probably will be unloaded essentially for peanuts, and the Arizona Republic reports the Astros, White Sox and Yankees are believed to have interest. Of course, the Yankees are more focused on dealing for pitching, the White Sox were burned by "renting" Alomar last year and the Astros have some guy named Jeff Kent at second base, so none of those three proposed destinations is a guarantee. Alomar is unlikely to revert to his old elite Fantasy form even if he does get moved in the coming weeks, but at least he would have a better chance at starting status on another team.But it seems the Yankees want him the most now...

From Sportsline.com:
The Yankees are monitoring what the Diamondbacks do with Roberto Alomar on the trade market, according to the New York Post. He has told friends many times that he would love to play for the Yankees.
(Updated 07/07/2004).

fquaye149
07-17-2004, 09:04 AM
maybe you should post that information initially

Aidan
07-17-2004, 07:01 PM
maybe you should post that information initiallyMaybe I didn't have the information initially. :rolleyes:

patbooyah
07-17-2004, 07:20 PM
It isn't just a hypothetical trade. Patbooyah, everytime you try to rip on me, I end up burning you. Maybe you should keep your mouth shut from now on. Eat this ya tool...

http://010808074621704.baseball.sportsline.com/news/7460238
But it seems the Yankees want him the most now...

From Sportsline.com:

oh wow. i feel burned. im scorched with embarrassment. imagine my surprise when i found out the sox traded for roberto alomar. oh wait- that never happened. let me know when one of your trade theories comes true, okay? cause when that happens you'll be 1 for 12.

best,
"tool"

Aidan
07-17-2004, 07:24 PM
oh wow. i feel burned. im scorched with embarrassment. imagine my surprise when i found out the sox traded for roberto alomar. oh wait- that never happened. let me know when one of your trade theories comes true, okay? cause when that happens you'll be 1 for 12.

best,
"tool"Well, it proves that my thinking wasn't just "hypothetical" like you said. The article shows that the Sox did actually show some interest in Alomar. Just because it didn't happen yet doesn't mean it won't. This IS the "Talking Baseball" forum. I'm not posting this stuff in the "Sox Clubhouse" forum. Maybe you should calm down on the dumb remarks for the sake of a cheap laugh. You're not that funny. And if you don't like what I post, DON'T READ IT MORON!!!

patbooyah
07-17-2004, 07:33 PM
Well, it proves that my thinking wasn't just "hypothetical" like you said. The article shows that the Sox did actually show some interest in Alomar. Just because it didn't happen yet doesn't mean it won't. This IS the "Talking Baseball" forum. I'm not posting this stuff in the "Sox Clubhouse" forum. Maybe you should calm down on the dumb remarks for the sake of a cheap laugh. You're not that funny. And if you don't like what I post, DON'T READ IT MORON!

you've already admitted- twice- that when you created this thread you were making a hypothetical scenario. that was my point. and i was right. still am right.

its hard to ignore what you write when your trademark wit and intelligence can be found in almost every thread. i'm sorry- i'll do better.

and for the record, i'm hilarious. :bandance: <--more trademark comedy

Brian26
07-17-2004, 07:39 PM
Well, it proves that my thinking wasn't just "hypothetical" like you said. The article shows that the Sox did actually show some interest in Alomar. Just because it didn't happen yet doesn't mean it won't. This IS the "Talking Baseball" forum. I'm not posting this stuff in the "Sox Clubhouse" forum. Maybe you should calm down on the dumb remarks for the sake of a cheap laugh. You're not that funny. And if you don't like what I post, DON'T READ IT MORON!!!
Chill it, brother. No need to start getting your panties in a bunch. The fact is, the White Sox may have or may not have talked to them about Robbie. The Arizona Republic newspaper isn't Gospel. And to be honest, if I were Kenny Williams, I wouldn't touch Robbie Alomar with a 10-ft pole.

patbooyah
07-17-2004, 07:41 PM
and for the record, in my original post i shouldn't have made it personally against you.

it was meant to express general tiredness of trade rumors.

Aidan
07-17-2004, 08:03 PM
Chill it, brother. No need to start getting your panties in a bunch. The fact is, the White Sox may have or may not have talked to them about Robbie. The Arizona Republic newspaper isn't Gospel. And to be honest, if I were Kenny Williams, I wouldn't touch Robbie Alomar with a 10-ft pole.Robbie Alomar didn't do well for us last season but this season he's not doing that bad in a very limited role with Scott Hairston as the starter...

Roberto Alomar
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=4189
.286 AVG
1 HR
12 RBI
84 At Bats

He is dirt cheap at $924,234 for the season and Arizona would take a bucket of balls for him. With Uribe trying to hit homers with every swing (and failing) and Harris struggling to get on base, I wouldn't mind seeing him as our lead-off man again. Hasn't anyone noticed we need a lead-off man?

Brian26
07-17-2004, 08:07 PM
He is dirt cheap at $924,234 for the season and Arizona would take a bucket of balls for him. With Uribe trying to hit homers with every swing (and failing) and Harris struggling to get on base, I wouldn't mind seeing him as our lead-off man again. Hasn't anyone noticed we need a lead-off man?
Anyone remember Robbie lazily running down to first base every time he weakly grounded out for us last year? Anyone remember him playing with the intensity of a snail? I rather take my chances with Uribe or Willie right now than have Robbie Alomar moving into "Shut-Down Mode" if the Sox happen to fall a game or two off the pace.

dickallen15
07-17-2004, 08:10 PM
Robbie Alomar didn't do well for us last season but this season he's not doing that bad in a very limited role with Scott Hairston as the starter...

Roberto Alomar
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=4189
.286 AVG
1 HR
12 RBI
84 At Bats

He is dirt cheap at $924,234 for the season and Arizona would take a bucket of balls for him. With Uribe trying to hit homers with every swing (and failing) and Harris struggling to get on base, I wouldn't mind seeing him as our lead-off man again. Hasn't anyone noticed we need a lead-off man?You are right. Its not as far fetched as some believe. Wouldn't it be ironic if KW picks up Alomar and Everett one more time?

Cowch44
07-17-2004, 08:13 PM
You are right. Its not as far fetched as some believe. Wouldn't it be ironic if KW picks up Alomar and Everett one more time?I'd be pretty mad if he traded away 7 more Minor leaguers, but it would be ironic. I thought the Sox should've signed one of two in the offseason atleast.

Aidan
07-17-2004, 08:26 PM
Anyone remember Robbie lazily running down to first base every time he weakly grounded out for us last year? Anyone remember him playing with the intensity of a snail? I rather take my chances with Uribe or Willie right now than have Robbie Alomar moving into "Shut-Down Mode" if the Sox happen to fall a game or two off the pace.In every baseball game I watch, I see players lazily running to first base on groundouts. I know it's sad but EVERYONE does it. However, I DO remember his amazing defense at 2B last season and his bat seems to be fine this season. I know Uribe's defense at 2B is great but his homerun swing is not, especially when he is a #1 or #2 in the lineup.
You are right. Its not as far fetched as some believe. Wouldn't it be ironic if KW picks up Alomar and Everett one more time?I'd be pretty mad if he traded away 7 more Minor leaguers, but it would be ironic. I thought the Sox should've signed one of two in the offseason atleast.It would be ironic but definately not out of the realm of possibility. We need a lead-off hitter and maybe a DH if Borchard doesn't start hitting. Alomar and Everett would fill those spots but this time they could be had for nothing. It wouldn't cost a ton of minor leaguers. I'm sure Arizona and Montreal wouldn't mind dumping them.

Palehose13
07-17-2004, 08:39 PM
If KW is looking second base, I would rather have Roberts if Baltimore is making him available.

Aidan
07-17-2004, 08:48 PM
If KW is looking second base, I would rather have Roberts if Baltimore is making him available.Who wouldn't? That guy is exactly what Willie Harris is supposed to be - a legitimate basestealing threat in the lead-off spot. But I doubt the Orioles would make him available since he's only making $345,000 this season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6741

I think they would be more inclined to trade Jerry Hairston Jr.

Palehose13
07-17-2004, 08:54 PM
I think they would be more inclined to trade Jerry Hairston Jr.
Then I'd take him, if his salary isn't too much.

Aidan
07-17-2004, 09:05 PM
Then I'd take him, if his salary isn't too much.I don't know what his salary is but he's doing quite well this season too...

Jerry Hairston Jr.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6127
.313 AVG
1 HR
19 RBI
11 SB

He's normally at 2B but since Brian Roberts is better defensively at 2B, they use Hairston as their DH.

Basten
07-17-2004, 09:11 PM
Wasn't that bridge burned and don't the Sox have enough middle infielders?
Insurence.

Just in case Willie and Uribe stay in the crapper. Smart move - Robbie IS a HOF'er afterall.

Palehose13
07-17-2004, 09:16 PM
Insurance.

Just in case Willie and Uribe stay in the crapper. Smart move - Robbie IS a HOF'er afterall.
I'd still rahter have Roberts of Hairston, jr. from Baltimore if one is available. The Sox would not be getting Robbie in HOF form. If that is the thinking, why not go and see if Cal Ripken, jr is interested in coming out of retirement...he'll be in the HOF too!

Aidan
07-17-2004, 09:22 PM
I'd still rahter have Roberts of Hairston, jr. from Baltimore if one is available. The Sox would not be getting Robbie in HOF form. If that is the thinking, why not go and see if Cal Ripken, jr is interested in coming out of retirement...he'll be in the HOF too!Agreed. Alomar is 36 and isn't in his HOF form anymore but I think he still has one more year in his tank.

Basten
07-17-2004, 09:34 PM
I'd still rahter have Roberts of Hairston, jr. from Baltimore if one is available. The Sox would not be getting Robbie in HOF form. If that is the thinking, why not go and see if Cal Ripken, jr is interested in coming out of retirement...he'll be in the HOF too!They're not pursuing Hairston nor Roberts, apparently.

And never understmate HOF talents. Robbie has sucked for 2 years now, but watching Larkin and Biggio kicking ass at 39-40, you just never know. He is only 36.

Maybe 950 OPS is out of the question, but I wouldn't be suprised if Robbie somehow musters 800 OPS one of these days - he should be platooned again lefties in favor of Uribe, natch. Right now he has 375 OBP vs RHP, even if he never regains the batspeed and intensity of his younger days, he can be quite productive in a platoon role.

You need depth and experience on a playoff team.

the_valenstache
07-17-2004, 10:26 PM
PASS.

Next rumor, please.

bigfoot
07-17-2004, 11:37 PM
Insurence.

HOF.....Nolan Ryan available? He can run as fast as Robbie.

pearso66
07-18-2004, 01:29 AM
They're not pursuing Hairston nor Roberts, apparently.

And never understmate HOF talents. Robbie has sucked for 2 years now, but watching Larkin and Biggio kicking ass at 39-40, you just never know. He is only 36.

Maybe 950 OPS is out of the question, but I wouldn't be suprised if Robbie somehow musters 800 OPS one of these days - he should be platooned again lefties in favor of Uribe, natch. Right now he has 375 OBP vs RHP, even if he never regains the batspeed and intensity of his younger days, he can be quite productive in a platoon role.

The only problem with platooning him with Uribe is that we already have 2 guys who cant hit lefties that play those positions. What we need is another guy who can hit lefties so Uribe can sub for 1 and the other guy can sub for the other.

Mohoney
07-18-2004, 02:13 AM
They're not pursuing Hairston nor Roberts, apparently.

I really wouldn't care too much about his SLG, just his OBP. If his OBP can be .350+ and he can still provide amazing defense, that's pretty much all I need.

I don't need too many homers from my leadoff guy. I need a baserunner to get on ahead of Magglio, Lee, and Konerko.

Basten
07-18-2004, 02:20 AM
The only problem with platooning him with Uribe is that we already have 2 guys who cant hit lefties that play those positions. What we need is another guy who can hit lefties so Uribe can sub for 1 and the other guy can sub for the other.I don't see what this has to do with Robbie. He brings experience and a good OBP against RHP. Uribe subs for him against LHP. Rowand subs for Harris against LHP.

Valentin? He plays every day because you cannot risk a streaky hitter sulking and/or getting out of sync while sitting on the bench, which could end up negatively affecting his clutch power production against RHP as well - and you simply can't lose that. Right now he is pulling inside pitches way foul, often with HR distance off southpaws. Once he (hopefully) stops trying to pull an outside pitch all the time, his production off LHP will jump by at least 100-150 OPS points. He was extremely effective against lefties with that line-drive-friendly approach in Spring Training, but for some reason (foolishly) went away from it in the regular season in favor of more power. In this Oakland series, he had another couple of long loud strikes off Zito and Redman, which is a shame. Hopefully, Walker can convince him to stop being so greedy on every damn pitch in the 2nd half - and power will always be there as long as contact is made.

pearso66
07-18-2004, 02:43 AM
I don't see what this has to do with Robbie. He brings experience and a good OBP against RHP. Uribe subs for him against LHP. Rowand subs for Harris against LHP.

Valentin? He plays every day because you cannot risk a streaky hitter sulking and/or getting out of sync while sitting on the bench, which could end up negatively affecting his clutch power production against RHP as well - and you simply can't lose that. Right now he is pulling inside pitches way foul, often with HR distance off southpaws. Once he (hopefully) stops trying to pull an outside pitch all the time, his production off LHP will jump by at least 100-150 OPS points. He was extremely effective against lefties with that line-drive-friendly approach in Spring Training, but for some reason (foolishly) went away from it in the regular season in favor of more power. In this Oakland series, he had another couple of long loud strikes off Zito and Redman, which is a shame. Hopefully, Walker can convince him to stop being so greedy on every damn pitch in the 2nd half - and power will always be there as long as contact is made.
To me it doesn't sound like trying to pull the inside pitch is his problem, given that he is crushing the ball. It sounds like his timing is a little off, and he is getting a little ahead of the pitch therefor pulling it foul. But I wouldn't know, I havnt seen a game since Sunday, and I rarely get more than 1 a week.

Basten
07-18-2004, 01:22 PM
To me it doesn't sound like trying to pull the inside pitch is his problem, given that he is crushing the ball. It sounds like his timing is a little off, and he is getting a little ahead of the pitch therefor pulling it foul. But I wouldn't know, I havnt seen a game since Sunday, and I rarely get more than 1 a week.Let me put it this way: when was the last time Jose hit the ball to LF, LCF, CF and RCF.....especially off a lefty?

That ball on outer portion of the plate Redman struck him out on was begging to be slapped down the LF line - Jose practically fell out of his shoes trying to HR to RF. Story of his life.

pearso66
07-18-2004, 01:47 PM
Let me put it this way: when was the last time Jose hit the ball to LF, LCF, CF and RCF.....especially off a lefty?

That ball on outer portion of the plate Redman struck him out on was begging to be slapped down the LF line - Jose practically fell out of his shoes trying to HR to RF. Story of his life.
I misread your post. I thought you said he was trying to pull inside pitches, Whcih he should do, I agree, he should go the opposite way on an outside pitch.

Nick@Nite
07-18-2004, 02:12 PM
Right day, wrong player.