PDA

View Full Version : Andy Gonzalez was promoted to Birmingham

maurice
07-16-2004, 02:53 PM
The title of the thread says it all.

Randar68
07-16-2004, 02:56 PM
The title of the thread says it all.
Happy for him. Good kid, and I hope he keeps working at the plate. He makes a lot of contact and walks a great deal, so I'm hoping his average keeps coming around.

May be a lot of movement over the next 24-48 hours.

Tekijawa
07-16-2004, 03:10 PM
May be a lot of movement over the next 24-48 hours.
Do you know something and Can't say or do you know nothing and can only say this?

The Tom
07-16-2004, 03:32 PM
Does that mean Nanita is moving to fill his hole at W-S.

Randar68
07-16-2004, 04:11 PM
Do you know something and Can't say or do you know nothing and can only say this?If I knew something, I'd say it, LOL! Seriously, though. This time of year is when a lot of movement is made. People are shuffled around, promoted, traded, filling injury slots. Gonzalez moving up opens a hole for someone at ever level from W-S down, essentially. This time of year is also when players making progress at rookie ball are promoted.

Pure speculation, but there is a nice handful of players in Kanny and W-S that are ready to move up. I hope Rogo (though he's earned a promotion) and a few others are still in W-S so I can talk to them when I'm there.

Chisoxfn
07-16-2004, 06:34 PM
He'll probably go back down to Winston Salem in a few weeks. Reyes was placed on the disabled list for the Barons and they needed a starting shortstop.

One thing I want to say about Gonzo is he's really starting to show signs of once again becoming the shortstop of the future. Everytime I've seen him play he makes a web gem. He's got great range and a strong arm, although he's still prone to errors, but with time, those will go away.

I love the fact that he really has a good eye and his swing has come a long way from what I saw of him last year.

maurice
07-16-2004, 06:47 PM
One thing I want to say about Gonzo is he's really starting to show signs of once again becoming the shortstop of the future. Everytime I've seen him play he makes a web gem. He's got great range and a strong arm, although he's still prone to errors, but with time, those will go away.
This raises an interesting point. Gonzo hasn't playerd much SS lately, because Lopez is the primary SS at W-S. IIRC, Lopez was at 2B with Gonzo at SS in Kanny last season. Has the organization decided that Lopez is a better SS than Gonzo at this point?

Chisoxfn
07-16-2004, 06:51 PM
This raises an interesting point. Gonzo hasn't playerd much SS lately, because Lopez is the primary SS at W-S. IIRC, Lopez was at 2B with Gonzo at SS in Kanny last season. Has the organization decided that Lopez is a better SS than Gonzo at this point? I don't think so. Once Fields was signed, Lopez moved back to 2nd with Andy playing short. All I can say is the two have tremendous chemistry and their were some amazing plays. They will be fun to watch if they both can make it up. Both have the tools to do it, just needs to be seen whether they can hit enough.

Rex Hudler
07-17-2004, 01:55 AM
He'll probably go back down to Winston Salem in a few weeks. Reyes was placed on the disabled list for the Barons and they needed a starting shortstop.

I love the fact that he really has a good eye and his swing has come a long way from what I saw of him last year.
I think maturity is the biggest reason for his improvement this year. If he performs well, I could see him staying at Birmingham. Reyes could get released if Andy forces the issue with his play. So far he has looked somewhat overmatched at the plate. It's only two nights, so no reason to judge in haste, but I haven't seen a lot of good swings out of him yet.

Basten
07-17-2004, 09:09 PM
How come Mighty Casey Rogowski is still in A-ball?

-Basten from WSI, Net

jeremyb1
07-18-2004, 12:33 AM
Happy for him. Good kid, and I hope he keeps working at the plate. He makes a lot of contact and walks a great deal, so I'm hoping his average keeps coming around.

You're right Randar. I'd never noticed it before but he walks at an impressive clip. With his defense if he can keep that plate discipline up and hit for decent average he's a solid prospect.