PDA

View Full Version : 1918 World Series

Fenway
07-16-2004, 02:50 PM
In doing some research on the 1918 World Series between the Red Sox and Cubs, it appears the Chicago games were played at Comiskey Park, not on the North Side. Anybody have more info on this?

Thanks

If this is the case it would mean the Red Sox will be playing for the first time ever at Wrigley in 2005. Scalpers will set records with that one.

CHISOXFAN13
07-16-2004, 02:53 PM
In doing some research on the 1918 World Series between the Red Sox and Cubs, it appears the Chicago games were played at Comiskey Park, not on the North Side. Anybody have more info on this?

Thanks

If this is the case it would mean the Red Sox will be playing for the first time ever at Wrigley in 2005. Scalpers will set records with that one.

Do we know for a fact already what the Interlague matchups are going to be? I find that strange.

Fenway
07-16-2004, 02:55 PM
Red Sox officials let it be known they are booked for Wrigley in 2005. The 2 teams have yet to meet since interleague started in 1997.

Do we know for a fact already what the Interlague matchups are going to be? I find that strange.

CHISOXFAN13
07-16-2004, 03:00 PM
Red Sox officials let it be known they are booked for Wrigley in 2005. The 2 teams have yet to meet since interleague started in 1997.

Cool, thanks for the update.

Foulke You
07-16-2004, 03:04 PM
Oh lord...and we thought the ridiculous hype surrounding the Yankees vs Cubs series was bad. Yeesh. My stomach is turning just thinking about it. I can hear it now:

"The Boston Red Sox are coming to Chicago for the 1st time ever since 1918!!!! This is the greatest dream matchup of all time!! The battle of the two most cursed teams ever! Who will win in a fictional fight a billy goat vs the ghost of Babe Ruth?? We can do city comparisons where we put a bowl of New England Clam Chowder vs a slice of Giordano's stuffed pizza!! Thank God, the Red Sox are here to play a team the entire city of Chicago is behind!"

:angry: :angry: :angry:

daveeym
07-16-2004, 03:04 PM

Thanks

If this is the case it would mean the Red Sox will be playing for the first time ever at Wrigley in 2005. Scalpers will set records with that one.Damn straight that's when it's gonna be, definitely not gonna be this October. :gulp:

mantis1212
07-16-2004, 03:09 PM

Thanks

Yes, I read that they were played at Comiskey because of the extra capacity- to make more money.

Baby Fisk
07-16-2004, 03:15 PM
Yes, the 1918 World Series was played at Comiskey Park. The NL team arranged to play there instead of Wrigley Field, because even back in 1918 everyone knew Wrigley Field was a cramped, outdated garbage dump. Beautiful, spaceous Comiskey Park was vastly superior and held more people (the real reason).

Fenway
07-16-2004, 03:18 PM
I can tell you that Red Sox fans are already planning their trip.

I found it amusing that the NY papers last year were all saying it was the Yankees first visit to Chicago since 1935. Where they think Comiskey is Gary?

Oh lord...and we thought the ridiculous hype surrounding the Yankees vs Cubs series was bad. Yeesh. My stomach is turning just thinking about it. I can hear it now:
stuffed pizza!! Thank God, the Red Sox are here to play a team the entire city of Chicago is behind!"

Kogs35
07-16-2004, 03:19 PM
i was under the imprestion that the cubs where spose to go to boston and ny for interleague while toronto and baltimore where spose to go there. ehhh cubs people u can never belive them

Fenway
07-16-2004, 03:28 PM
The papers here said Boston going to St Louis and Chicago, at Fenway we get Milwaukee and Pittsburgh.

I have a gut feeling Boston will be in Chicago come October but playing at 35th St.

Course if Boston doesn't start winning on the road, we won't be playing anybody.

i was under the imprestion that the cubs where spose to go to boston and ny for interleague while toronto and baltimore where spose to go there. ehhh cubs people u can never belive them

HomeFish
07-16-2004, 03:33 PM
Congrats on winning that one, by the way. I wasn't alive, but I would have been cheering for you guys.

Frater Perdurabo
07-16-2004, 03:41 PM
Did I read somewhere that there were suspicions that the Cubs "threw" the 1918 Series, but that this info was "lost" amid the hype over the 1919 Black Sox?

Kogs35
07-16-2004, 04:10 PM
The papers here said Boston going to St Louis and Chicago, at Fenway we get Milwaukee and Pittsburgh.

I have a gut feeling Boston will be in Chicago come October but playing at 35th St.

Course if Boston doesn't start winning on the road, we won't be playing anybody.
if fox and espn have there way that may change. i do know for the white sox the dodgers r coming to town for a weekend set in june, and either the rockies or diamondbacks r coming here, while they will goto colorado or san diago and visit the giants for a weekend set. i know if it wasnt for fox the sox would of played the mets instead of the expos this year.

MarqSox
07-16-2004, 04:14 PM
Did I read somewhere that there were suspicions that the Cubs "threw" the 1918 Series, but that this info was "lost" amid the hype over the 1919 Black Sox?Yes. The Black Sox investigation actually grew out of an investigation into rumors that the Cubs threw the 1918 Series. Whether the Cubs threw it or not, who knows.

SoxFan76
07-16-2004, 05:09 PM
If I was a Red Sox fan, I would be upset that people drag Boston down to the Cubs level. Atleast the Red Sox aren't called the Loveable Losers. Atleast the BoSox compete every year.

Fenway
07-16-2004, 05:52 PM
Publishers Weekly, March 19, 2001
The possibility that the 1918 series was fixed is certain to inflame New Englanders.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0595148263/qid=1090014713/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-6700453-9147324?v=glance&s=books

Yes. The Black Sox investigation actually grew out of an investigation into rumors that the Cubs threw the 1918 Series. Whether the Cubs threw it or not, who knows.

TommyJohn
07-17-2004, 12:44 AM
Sneering Chicago Media Ass here. We are looking forward to the Red Sox' first trip to Chicago since 1918. It will be the greatest event in the history of baseball, and perhaps mankind. Between us and the East Coast literati it will be the greatest orgy of hype and self-pity in sports history. We are designing the curse headlines even as I write this.

CURSES!

Which curse is worse?

BAMBINO VS. THE BILLY GOAT!

Who has the better pizza?

Kennedy-Daley Connection
A look at how Boston and Chicago helped shape America.

Now I know you scummy Sox fans will say "but Boston always plays here!"
Yeah? Well, now they are playing a team people care about, peasants.

*sneer* *sneer* *sneer*

By the way, I see that they played the 1918 World Series in original Cominsky
Field, or whatever they're calling it now. Was anybody mugged or murdered
on the way in?

*sneer* *sneer* *sneer*

Red Sox here for the first time ever? I'll be there!
Bottoms up! -Walter Jacobson

bigfoot
07-17-2004, 12:55 AM
Did I read somewhere that there were suspicions that the Cubs "threw" the 1918 Series, but that this info was "lost" amid the hype over the 1919 Black Sox?
I read the same thing, FP. I believe the allegations came out about the Cobz throwing the '18 W/S during the investigation & trial in 1920 about the 1919 W/S. But the trail wasn't as warm and some of the principals were gone/dead(?) and not as easy to procecute. And if the LL's had gone down for the beef, they would have had just another excuse. And the Red Sox would have not 'won' anything in '18.

bigfoot
07-17-2004, 12:58 AM
Seems like the Chicago Police will have opened that new court room next to the Urinal, just in time for the Red Sox to come to town! Maybe FauxNews can do a scathing expose' on the crime in WiggleyBurg.

Blob
07-17-2004, 10:13 AM
Yes, the 1918 World Series was played at Comiskey Park. The NL team arranged to play there instead of Wrigley Field, because even back in 1918 everyone knew Wrigley Field was a cramped, outdated garbage dump. Beautiful, spaceous Comiskey Park was vastly superior and held more people (the real reason).
It must have gotten better in the last 86 years. No one thinks of it that way today!

PaleHoseGeorge
07-17-2004, 11:11 AM
Weegham Park was a bandbox when it was built and it is still a bandbox today. Everybody knew the best ballpark in the city was Comiskey's Sox Park; that's why the Lovable Losers played their home games there.

The Urinal all of baseball's dumbest "fans" believe is a shrine today was a creation of Wrigley and Veeck back in the 30's and 40's. The pile of crap that the Federal League built for the Whales in 1914 bears absolutely no resemblence to the pisshole that stands there today.

The outfield wall, the ivy, the bleachers, and the scoreboard all date to the late-30's and 40's. The exterior facade is a hodge podge of ****, most of it dating from the 60's. The seating contours date to the 60's too, including those obstructed view seats in the front row Steve Bartman had for Game 6 of last year's NLCS. He couldn't see Alou standing beneath him! That's what happens when you start with a pisshole and try to make it into a "shrine."

Here's a plain fact: 99 percent of the "diehard Cubs fans" couldn't identify the pre-30's Urinal if their life depended on it. Meanwhile every Sox Fan can identify Sox Park from the very start. Comiskey's arches had graced 35th & Shields for nearly 30 years before Veeck planted the first wall weeds inside that dump, a ridiculous fantasy to make a silk purse from a sow's ear.

Cubs Park has been a dump from day 1, a second-rate facility built for a third-rate team playing in a fourth-rate league, and then taken over by another outfit that spent most of the 20th century glorifying losing. Even Wrigley himself admitted he was only fixing up the dump because he knew fielding a winning team wasn't important.

So now morons who used to throw back fake home run balls get their own morning sportsblab radio show, and the Midwest's largest media conglomerate creates fairytales for tourists from Iowa to believe. Like sheep unloading at the slaughterhouse, their bus debarks at Clark and Addison where their ignorant bleating about how great the "shrine" is is only interrupted by stepping in urine while washing their hands in a sink the classless drunk before them used to pee in.

These people get exactly what they deserve. Count me out.

:bandance:

TornLabrum
07-17-2004, 11:34 AM
I read the same thing, FP. I believe the allegations came out about the Cobz throwing the '18 W/S during the investigation & trial in 1920 about the 1919 W/S. But the trail wasn't as warm and some of the principals were gone/dead(?) and not as easy to procecute. And if the LL's had gone down for the beef, they would have had just another excuse. And the Red Sox would have not 'won' anything in '18.
The Black Sox investigation did not come out of an investigation of the 1918 World Series. It came out of an investigation of gamblers trying to fix a regular season Cubs game. The Cubs manager got wind of the fact that gamblers had attempted to get their scheduled starter for the day to throw a game. Instead of pitching the guy, he instead started his ace Pete Alexander, who in typical Cubs fashion lost the game anyway.

The grand jury was convened to investigate the influence of gamblers based on that incident and it spread to include the 1919 Series.

I can't remember the name of the Cubs pitcher or who the Cubs were playing that day. I'd have to look it up, but I'm too lazy.

bigfoot
07-17-2004, 01:27 PM
The Black Sox investigation did not come out of an investigation of the 1918 World Series. It came out of an investigation of gamblers trying to fix a regular season Cubs game. The Cubs manager got wind of the fact that gamblers had attempted to get their scheduled starter for the day to throw a game. Instead of pitching the guy, he instead started his ace Pete Alexander, who in typical Cubs fashion lost the game anyway.

The grand jury was convened to investigate the influence of gamblers based on that incident and it spread to include the 1919 Series.

I can't remember the name of the Cubs pitcher or who the Cubs were playing that day. I'd have to look it up, but I'm too lazy.
Thanks for the correct info TL. I sit corrected, in my orthopedic shorts.
Any truth to the rumor that PK Wrigley had lights already to be installed for the 1942 season when WWll started and the steel was worth more than he paid for it and was sold? Then after the war, the LL's were so bad that no one would come to see them anyway.

TornLabrum
07-17-2004, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the correct info TL. I sit corrected, in my orthopedic shorts.
Any truth to the rumor that PK Wrigley had lights already to be installed for the 1942 season when WWll started and the steel was worth more than he paid for it and was sold? Then after the war, the LL's were so bad that no one would come to see them anyway.
I've read in numerous places that Wrigley was going to install lights for '42. The versions I've read didn't discuss the dollar value of the steel. The motive has always been given as one of patriotism rather than greed. The government needed all the steel it could get, and according to the authors I've read, Wrigley was simply doing his patriotic duty by having it used for better purposes.

I've never seen the amount he sold the light standards for, thoguh.

jackbrohamer
07-17-2004, 04:16 PM
"Beautiful Wrigley Field," according to Bill Veeck ("Veeck As In Wreck"), was what Wrigley ordered his front-office employees in the 1930s to call the park whenever they referred to it in public. Which proves that if you keep repeating the same lie often enough people will start to believe it.

flo-B-flo
07-17-2004, 04:57 PM
I read a column by Rapaport in the trib about the c***(I'm not saying their name again) throwing the world series. Can anyone find that column?

Palehose13
07-17-2004, 09:26 PM
Weegham Park was a bandbox when it was built and it is still a bandbox today. Everybody knew the best ballpark in the city was Comiskey's Sox Park; that's why the Lovable Losers played their home games there.

The Urinal all of baseball's dumbest "fans" believe is a shrine today was a creation of Wrigley and Veeck back in the 30's and 40's. The pile of crap that the Federal League built for the Whales in 1914 bears absolutely no resemblence to the pisshole that stands there today.

The outfield wall, the ivy, the bleachers, and the scoreboard all date to the late-30's and 40's. The exterior facade is a hodge podge of ****, most of it dating from the 60's. The seating contours date to the 60's too, including those obstructed view seats in the front row Steve Bartman had for Game 6 of last year's NLCS. He couldn't see Alou standing beneath him! That's what happens when you start with a pisshole and try to make it into a "shrine."

Here's a plain fact: 99 percent of the "diehard Cubs fans" couldn't identify the pre-30's Urinal if their life depended on it. Meanwhile every Sox Fan can identify Sox Park from the very start. Comiskey's arches had graced 35th & Shields for nearly 30 years before Veeck planted the first wall weeds inside that dump, a ridiculous fantasy to make a silk purse from a sow's ear.

Cubs Park has been a dump from day 1, a second-rate facility built for a third-rate team playing in a fourth-rate league, and then taken over by another outfit that spent most of the 20th century glorifying losing. Even Wrigley himself admitted he was only fixing up the dump because he knew fielding a winning team wasn't important.

So now morons who used to throw back fake home run balls get their own morning sportsblab radio show, and the Midwest's largest media conglomerate creates fairytales for tourists from Iowa to believe. Like sheep unloading at the slaughterhouse, their bus debarks at Clark and Addison where their ignorant bleating about how great the "shrine" is is only interrupted by stepping in urine while washing their hands in a sink the classless drunk before them used to pee in.

Best. Post. Ever. :thumbsup:

Mohoney
07-18-2004, 02:23 AM

"The Boston Red Sox are coming to Chicago for the 1st time ever since 1918!!!! This is the greatest dream matchup of all time!! The battle of the two most cursed teams ever! Who will win in a fictional fight a billy goat vs the ghost of Babe Ruth?? We can do city comparisons where we put a bowl of New England Clam Chowder vs a slice of Giordano's stuffed pizza!! Thank God, the Red Sox are here to play a team the entire city of Chicago is behind!"

:boston

"We're here, live, at the 2005 World Series Preview. Berman and I are getting goosebumps. This is the greatest moment of my life!"

John Barrett
07-18-2004, 11:49 AM
Yes, I read that they were played at Comiskey because of the extra capacity- to make more money.

1918 WorldSeris (http://www.thediamondangle.com/marasco/hist/1918.html)

Wsoxmike59
07-18-2004, 12:37 PM

I can't remember the name of the Cubs pitcher or who the Cubs were playing that day. I'd have to look it up, but I'm too lazy.The Cubs pitcher suspected of being on the take was Claude Hendrix (no relation to Jimi) I've posted a link below where they tell the story of the suspected Cub-Phillies "fixed" game investigation and the uncovering of the Black Sox scandal coming to light.

http://www.wichita.edu/insidewsu/@5-3-2001/Hendrix_myth.htm

TornLabrum
07-18-2004, 02:24 PM
The Cubs pitcher suspected of being on the take was Claude Hendrix (no relation to Jimi) I've posted a link below where they tell the story of the suspected Cub-Phillies "fixed" game investigation and the uncovering of the Black Sox scandal coming to light.

http://www.wichita.edu/insidewsu/@5-3-2001/Hendrix_myth.htm
Thanks. I couldn't remember Hendrix's name. I thought it was the Phillies, but since I didn't have source materials next to me, I decided to pass on that, too.

robertks61
07-18-2004, 09:03 PM

Excellent!!!!!!!!!

Fenway
07-20-2004, 10:44 PM
Excellent!!!!!!!!!
I have to admit the outside of Wrigley reminds me of the Federal Prison in Danbury, CT :D: