PDA

View Full Version : Big Unit wants to go to either St. Louis or New York

WhiteSoxFan84
07-16-2004, 02:10 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=ari

It's on the front page of the ESPN Arizona Diamondbacks website. He wants to go to either the Yankees or the Cardinals, but since the Cardinals probably can't afford him, guess who is leading the race for the next big thing on the market?

ESPN also notes that the White Sox, Mets, Red Sox, Cubs, and Angels are in the running as well.

Mickster
07-16-2004, 02:12 PM
Randy Johnson (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=4288)'s agents have informed clubs that the Big Unit's preference (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1840380) is to be traded to either the Yankees or Cardinals, ESPN's Peter Gammons reported. Gammons reported this on BBTN yesterday and this is their source for this story. Take it for what it's worth.....

WhiteSoxFan84
07-16-2004, 02:15 PM
Either way it sucks and it's sad how fickle this mullet wearing idiot is. He only wants to go to the two teams with the best records in baseball? How much thinking did he put into that request?

Flight #24
07-16-2004, 02:16 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=ari

It's on the front page of the ESPN Arizona Diamondbacks website. He wants to go to either the Yankees or the Cardinals, but since the Cardinals probably can't afford him, guess who is leading the race for the next big thing on the market?

ESPN also notes that the White Sox, Mets, Red Sox, Cubs, and Angels are in the running as well.
I wonder if the Prior injury helps the Sox's chances. It could easily remove the Cubs from his list since he wants to go to a team that ALREADY has a good shot to win, not one where with him then they have a shot. Cubsw/ Prior qualify, Cubs w/o Prior do not - basically swapping RJ for Prior would keep then even.

Then there's the fact that if it is serious arm damage (elbow surgery), then the Cubs might be less willing to part with prized pitching prospects. I know that TJ is not career-ending as it used to be, but there's a lot of question marks around if & when Prior will be back & effective. So the Cubs may be less willing to deal Guzman, Brownlie, etc. That hurts the RJ trade chances of teams like Boston & NY that would have wanted to flip someone to the Cubs for prospets and turn those around for RJ.

KW still has to make a case to RJ for the Sox AND come up with a reasonable deal for both sides, but our chances keep getting better.

PorkChopExpress
07-16-2004, 02:20 PM
I wonder if the Prior injury helps the Sox's chances. It could easily remove the Cubs from his list since he wants to go to a team that ALREADY has a good shot to win, not one where with him then they have a shot. Cubsw/ Prior qualify, Cubs w/o Prior do not - basically swapping RJ for Prior would keep then even.

Then there's the fact that if it is serious arm damage (elbow surgery), then the Cubs might be less willing to part with prized pitching prospects. I know that TJ is not career-ending as it used to be, but there's a lot of question marks around if & when Prior will be back & effective. So the Cubs may be less willing to deal Guzman, Brownlie, etc. That hurts the RJ trade chances of teams like Boston & NY that would have wanted to flip someone to the Cubs for prospets and turn those around for RJ.

KW still has to make a case to RJ for the Sox AND come up with a reasonable deal for both sides, but our chances keep getting better.
Then again, with Prior out, the Cubs may be even more determined to get someone to replace him. The door swings both ways.

Basten
07-16-2004, 02:39 PM
I wonder if the Prior injury helps the Sox's chances..
I think it hurt the Sox because it makes Unit even more anxious to go to the Cards.

What hurt our chances the most:

-recent 5 game losing streak
-unconvincing offensive efforts against Seattle and Oakland
-only a 0.5 game lead
-Two words: White Sox

oeo
07-16-2004, 02:42 PM
What if we give the D-Backs a deal they can't pass up, better than the Yanks? Randy not only said that he wants to go to a contender but also wants to help the D-Backs.

Iwritecode
07-16-2004, 03:12 PM
What if we give the D-Backs a deal they can't pass up, better than the Yanks? Randy not only said that he wants to go to a contender but also wants to help the D-Backs.

True. He may want to go to the Yankees but they still have to come up with a package that the D-Backs will accept in return.

The last I knew their cupboard is pretty bare...

Tekijawa
07-16-2004, 03:15 PM
The last I knew their cupboard is pretty bare...Pretty Sure they sent their entire Cupbord to Milwaukee for Sexson.

Foulke You
07-16-2004, 03:24 PM
I wouldn't put a lot of stock in where the national media says Johnson is going to end up. When have the Sox EVER been considered the favorite to land a top flight player, yet Kenny Williams has shown time and again his ability to pull a big trade off under the radar screen:

Bartolo Colon- Everyone had him going to the Yankees or Red Sox
Freddy Garcia- Again, everyone in the media had him going to the Yankees
Carl Everett- Bunch of teams mentioned in the running for his services, not the White Sox
Roberto Alomar- Bunch of teams mentioned, not until 1 day before the deal did the rumors start that the White Sox were close to getting him
Nomar Garciaparra- ALMOST happened, but still came out of nowhere...the media had Nomar in Dodger blue or on the Angels

Now, I'm not saying we're going to land Randy Johnson for sure, but I'm saying we have as good a chance as any of the teams mentioned to get him. It's all going to come down to who puts the best package together and which team RJ will sign off on going to.