PDA

View Full Version : Carlos Delgado

fado
07-16-2004, 12:57 PM
Did anyone see this? I don't see it listed in threads here. Looks like the Jays have asked Delgado to waive his no-trade clause. If this is true and he does, KW should go get him. Talk about a powerful bat in our lineup to replace Thomas.

Link (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-bluejays-delgado&prov=ap&type=lgns)

OEO Magglio
07-16-2004, 12:59 PM
Did anyone see this? I don't see it listed in threads here. Looks like the Jays have asked Delgado to waive his no-trade clause. If this is true and he does, KW should go get him. Talk about a powerful bat in our lineup to replace Thomas.He makes way to much money to even think about him, he makes 18.5 mill this year so it's not going to happen. He'll end up on the dodgers.

Erik The Red
07-16-2004, 01:00 PM
Only if Toronto picks up some of his salary. He's making WAAAAAAAAAAY too much money this year, upwards of 19 mil I think.

Edit: Darn, OEO beat me to it.

DickAllen72
07-16-2004, 01:00 PM
Did anyone see this? I don't see it listed in threads here. Looks like the Jays have asked Delgado to waive his no-trade clause. If this is true and he does, KW should go get him. Talk about a powerful bat in our lineup to replace Thomas.

I wanted to get Delgado early in the year, before Konerko got hot. We should JUMP at the chance to get him now that Frank is out!

fado
07-16-2004, 01:03 PM
I understand he makes 18 mil. but he should only be owed about 9 mil. If the Sox and Jays can maybe split the remainder of the salary I say why not. Throw some lower tier prospects in the mix and I bet you get a good shot.

Erik The Red
07-16-2004, 01:05 PM
Well, don't forget, he's also been banged up this year. We don't want damaged goods.

samram
07-16-2004, 01:07 PM
He's also hitting .223, which is not good, no matter how often he has played hurt.

DickAllen72
07-16-2004, 01:13 PM
He's also hitting .223, which is not good, no matter how often he has played hurt.

If he's healthy he'll be red hot in the second half. Plus playing with a contender will help. And he'll get along quite well on this team.

samram
07-16-2004, 01:19 PM
If he's healthy he'll be red hot in the second half. Plus playing with a contender will help. And he'll get along quite well on this team.1. Is he going to be healthy?

2. He has never been on a contender before, so no one knows how he will react under pressure.

If he is healthy and Toronto will pick up significant amounts of his salary, and Frank is going to be out for a long time, then he would be a good pickup. If Frank will be back soon, there's no point creating a logjam.

SSN721
07-16-2004, 01:23 PM
I think too much of a risk w/o a guarantee of him being healthy the rest of the year. The last thing we need is another 1st baseman/DH on the DL. And for everyone who complains that Paulie is overpaid, 9 mil for someone who is hitting .223? I think it is crazy unless Toronto picks up a substantial amount of his salary. And by substantial I mean close to all of it. And I dont think they will. I think he will go to a team that can better afford the risk than we can.

samram
07-16-2004, 01:27 PM
I think too much of a risk w/o a guarantee of him being healthy the rest of the year. The last thing we need is another 1st baseman/DH on the DL. And for everyone who complains that Paulie is overpaid, 9 mil for someone who is hitting .223? I think it is crazy unless Toronto picks up a substantial amount of his salary. And by substantial I mean close to all of it. And I dont think they will. I think he will go to a team that can better afford the risk than we can.
Well, the one good thing (from a potential acquirer's POV) about his being a free agent after the season is Toronto would have to pay almost all (and probably 100%) of the remaining salary to get any decent prospects.

DickAllen72
07-16-2004, 01:30 PM
If he is healthy and Toronto will pick up significant amounts of his salary, and Frank is going to be out for a long time, then he would be a good pickup. If Frank will be back soon, there's no point creating a logjam.

I believe Frank will be out for most of the season. Even if he tries to come back in three weeks, I doubt his ankle will feel any better and his production will be similar to what it was the last three weeks he played on it.

If Delgado is healthy (that is a big "if"), I'd pay him what's remaining on his contract.

StepsInSC
07-16-2004, 02:37 PM
Even if he's healthy, NO.

I believe in putting a team together, not just a collection of players. Another low average-high power hitter is NOT what we need!

habibharu
07-16-2004, 03:11 PM
he might not even be traded: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1841046

fledgedrallycap
07-16-2004, 03:12 PM
His agent is claiming they will not lift his no-trade flag

maurice
07-16-2004, 03:17 PM
Delgado is far from a one-dimensional power hitter. His OBP over the past three years is .413. He's posted 90+ RBI each of the past eight years, topping out at 145 last season.

When he's healthy, he's REAL good . . . AND he bats lefthanded.

PorkChopExpress
07-16-2004, 04:40 PM
Even if he's healthy, NO.

I believe in putting a team together, not just a collection of players. Another low average-high power hitter is NOT what we need!
Amen! Frank's .434 OBP needs to be replaced. We already have plenty of power hitters. Let's find someone who gets on base so that when one of our power hitters tags one, it's for at least two runs instead of one.

beckett21
07-16-2004, 05:24 PM
I mentioned this a few days ago in another thread and was shot down as if I had three heads. :o:

Personally I think it's a great idea.

He's a lefty.

He's a proven power hitter.

He's a free agent at the end of the season.

He's the only guy who we could possibly get to replace the presence of Frank.

And I believe he is now healthy, and due for a monster second half.

If we can't get Randy, this would be a fantastic impact move that would really solidify our offense.

Win1ForMe
07-16-2004, 05:44 PM
I mentioned this a few days ago in another thread and was shot down as if I had three heads. :o:

Personally I think it's a great idea.

He's a lefty.

He's a proven power hitter.

He's a free agent at the end of the season.

He's the only guy who we could possibly get to replace the presence of Frank.

And I believe he is now healthy, and due for a monster second half.

If we can't get Randy, this would be a fantastic impact move that would really solidify our offense.I agree, he's as close to a Frank-type as anyone available. And of course we'll get Hawk's obligatory...

:hawk
"You know DJ, when people ask me which player in today's game would I most like to be, there's not even a question in my mind, it's Carlos Delgado. The ball just jumps off his bat, and the sound his bat makes....it's phenomenal. Ab-solutely phenomenal."

The one problem seems to be a team must offer Delgado a contract extension for him to waive his no trade clause. Don't know if he'll hold to that, but it's obvious he won't get one here. I guess we could also look at Palmeiro although that's not nearly as attractive.

beckett21
07-16-2004, 05:54 PM
The one problem seems to be a team must offer Delgado a contract extension for him to waive his no trade clause. Don't know if he'll hold to that, but it's obvious he won't get one here. I guess we could also look at Palmeiro although that's not nearly as attractive.Yeah too bad about the contract extension, that makes it much more unlikely assuming it was ever even an option.

Unless he can also play right field, this is a problem. :(:

I've always been impressed with him as a hitter though, and assuming his rib injury is behind him I would expect All-Star numbers in the second half. Scary to think of what he would do at USCF. :o:

He is NOT a .223 hitter. The only question for me would be health; if that checks out, I'm comfortable gambling on it. (Hey, it's not my money!)

Palmeiro would be servicable, I'd be thrilled to *settle* for him were he available. Far better option than say Olerud. There's still Everett I suppose too. But Delgado could step into Frank's spot and we would not miss a beat. He's about the only guy you can say that about that could be available this season.

lowesox
07-16-2004, 07:12 PM
Hm... This is most certainly intriguing for a few reasons. One, this is a guy with a HUGE bat. The fact that he's on a down year makes him even more attractive to me.

How much of the 18million still needs to be paid?

With Paulie having a big year, the sox could acquire Carlos now and then trade Paulie for young players in the offseason.

Delgado is one guy capable of making us miss Ordonez a lot less next season. And it sounds like the jays will dump him for nothing at this point.

The Randy Johnson sounds great, but this is the kind of acquisition that makes the more sense for this team.

bigfoot
07-16-2004, 07:16 PM
I agree that Delgado has the best upside, but not at $18+ mil + and extention. Palmiero downside is that he ONLY pulls the and can't drive a bal through the 'shift', hits .250 ....lots of Xtra base hits, but can't count on him to get on ahead of anyone. Olerud, done!
Everett, cheap salary, but what is Montreal wanting? If the Sox are going to give highly rated prospects/pitching for high priced talent, why not shoot for Beltran, when Houston pulls the plug? If the Sox are going to spend the $ & talent anyway, why not go for the best? We would forget all about, whoever used to pay CF here for a long, long time. (SorryCrash,et.al.) Anyone remember seeing old film of Mickey Mantle? This guy is close. Not quite, but close.

Aidan
07-16-2004, 07:18 PM
"Agent says Delgado is staying put"
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1841046

Overpriced and getting older (32) anyways.

beckett21
07-16-2004, 07:21 PM
I agree that Delgado has the best upside, but not at $18+ mil + and extention. Palmiero downside is that he ONLY pulls the and can't drive a bal through the 'shift', hits .250 ....lots of Xtra base hits, but can't count on him to get on ahead of anyone. Olerud, done!
Everett, cheap salary, but what is Montreal wanting? If the Sox are going to give highly rated prospects/pitching for high priced talent, why not shoot for Beltran, when Houston pulls the plug? If the Sox are going to spend the $ & talent anyway, why not go for the best? We would forget all about, whoever used to pay CF here for a long, long time. (SorryCrash,et.al.) Anyone remember seeing old film of Mickey Mantle? This guy is close. Not quite, but close.
I don't honestly believe Houston will trade Beltran. If so, by all means he is the guy.

RE: Delgado: The extension is what would be the sticking point. You would have to pro-rate the $18 mil for whatever the balance of the season would be, so cut it at least in half.

If Delgado insists on an extension, then we are out. Besides, he still would have to waive his no-trade clause. As the deadline gets closer, though, who knows.

lowesox
07-16-2004, 07:35 PM
Since we're introducing a few guys we'd like to see on the Sox, does anybody know if Craig Biggio is supposed to be available this year? I know he's been playing outfield but if we could play him at second we'd have a pretty good tablesetter which we've been missing all year.

HomerCoach
07-16-2004, 09:10 PM
i'll take 40 HR, near .300 avg and 1.000 ops anytime.

HomerCoach
07-16-2004, 09:11 PM
Since we're introducing a few guys we'd like to see on the Sox, does anybody know if Craig Biggio is supposed to be available this year? I know he's been playing outfield but if we could play him at second we'd have a pretty good tablesetter which we've been missing all year.
or Jeff Bagwell?

Deadguy
07-16-2004, 10:01 PM
or Jeff Bagwell?
No offense to Bagwell, but he's pretty much finished. He's got serious problems with his left shoulder, which is why his numbers have steadily declined over the past few years. The Astros would have a tough time moving someone who makes as much as he does:

2004: $13.0M
2005: $15.0M
2006: $17.0M
2007: Team option $18.0M or $7.0M buyout

beckett21
07-16-2004, 10:04 PM
There's a grinder for ya. Good question, I have no idea. I'd much rather see him than Robbie Alomar part deux, that's for sure.

Bagwell's another one, but I'm not convinced that Houston will go into white flag mode this year. They invested too much into this season to give up now, but the clock is definitely ticking.

If Houston is unloading, though, give me Beltran. Go for the throat.

HomerCoach
07-16-2004, 10:09 PM
There's a grinder for ya. Good question, I have no idea. I'd much rather see him than Robbie Alomar part deux, that's for sure.

Bagwell's another one, but I'm not convinced that Houston will go into white flag mode this year. They invested too much into this season to give up now, but the clock is definitely ticking.

I bet Nolan Ryan can still bring the heat! He could pad his K total a little.

bigfoot
07-17-2004, 12:28 AM

Absolutely! The old killer B's are the just that old. Biggio's slowing down at the bat, Bags has both shoulder's(can't throw, I didn't know about the left) and his back is a mess. Gimme Beltran, 27 y/o switchhitting CF. What's worth more? The 'Stros need bodies, to make up for the ones in KC. Give them equal value +, get the job done!