PDA

View Full Version : OZ we need the smallball, like last night!

joeynach
07-16-2004, 10:50 AM
Oz says he wants to play smallball but when we need it the most he never does. Last night the sox were having a tough time with harden and his 97 mph fastball. We were not hit through 4 and had no baserunners until the 5th inning. We were getting behind in the counts and just didn't seem to be able to score. This is when we need OZ, it happens, but we need to create something positive. A bunt hit, steals, hit and run, sacrifices, fake steals to disrupt the pitcher, fake bunts, whatever. We need to play that game to rattle the pitcher to get a guy in scoring position anyway how. Even if there is already 1 out, sacrafice a guy over to 2nd. It is more likey a guy at 2nd with 2 outs will rattle the pitcher more into give the hitter something to smack then a guy on 1st with 1 out where the pitcher only needs a grounder to end the inning. Come one OZ man everyone could see we needed it so just do it, stir something up here.

infohawk
07-16-2004, 11:47 AM
First of all, I do agree that the Sox should probably incorporate small-ball more consistently. Part of the problem is that they don't really have the personnel to do it as much as Ozzie would probably like. Ozzie inherited sluggers and is making a run with what he has. The team can certainly win by scoring a lot of runs, but we will have to accept the inevitable slumps as part of the structural make-up of this team. My prediction is that the team will be reshaped somewhat over the next couple of years into a unit more adept at pitching, speed and defense. I'm sure that's what Ozzie really wants.

Secondly, I was disappointed with a loss last night, but the Sox did have the tying run at home plate on two occasions. The final occasion was in the ninth inning. Harden pitched a great game. I'm encouraged that the Sox were in the game to the very end.

That said, let's pick up a win tonight!!!

Iwritecode
07-16-2004, 01:11 PM
We were not hit through 4 and had no baserunners until the 5th inning.

I'd say that's a pretty good reason why you didn't see much hit&run, sacrifices, steals, ect...

You need baserunners to make smallball work...

JB98
07-16-2004, 01:15 PM
Oz says he wants to play smallball but when we need it the most he never does. Last night the sox were having a tough time with harden and his 97 mph fastball. We were not hit through 4 and had no baserunners until the 5th inning. We were getting behind in the counts and just didn't seem to be able to score. This is when we need OZ, it happens, but we need to create something positive. A bunt hit, steals, hit and run, sacrifices, fake steals to disrupt the pitcher, fake bunts, whatever. We need to play that game to rattle the pitcher to get a guy in scoring position anyway how. Even if there is already 1 out, sacrafice a guy over to 2nd. It is more likey a guy at 2nd with 2 outs will rattle the pitcher more into give the hitter something to smack then a guy on 1st with 1 out where the pitcher only needs a grounder to end the inning. Come one OZ man everyone could see we needed it so just do it, stir something up here.
It's pretty hard to steal, hit-and-run or sacrifice when nobody is on base. Maybe somebody could have tried to bunt for a hit, but it's not easy to bunt a 95 mph heater, nor is it easy to bunt on Chavez.

Also, any American League manager who orders a sacrifice bunt with one out should be fired on the spot and sentenced to coach high school girls softball for all eternity. That's not how the game is supposed to be played, IMO.

joeynach
07-16-2004, 04:29 PM
It's pretty hard to steal, hit-and-run or sacrifice when nobody is on base. Maybe somebody could have tried to bunt for a hit, but it's not easy to bunt a 95 mph heater, nor is it easy to bunt on Chavez.

Also, any American League manager who orders a sacrifice bunt with one out should be fired on the spot and sentenced to coach high school girls softball for all eternity. That's not how the game is supposed to be played, IMO.
THere is no supposed to. Whatever the situation at hand calls for us what we need to do. Regardless of the norm we need to win every game we can and put oursleves in a postion to, i dont care what you are supposed to do, i want to give myslef the best situation to win.

jeremyb1
07-16-2004, 04:34 PM
I'm never a huge fan of small ball but I think it's a worse idea for our team than most. Our stregth is power we score most of our runs off of extra base hits so giving up outs to advance runners is pretty pointless. There's nothing like using an out to sacrifice a guy to third or watch a player get thrown out at second followed by a home run in the next at bat.

Dadawg_77
07-16-2004, 04:57 PM
I'm never a huge fan of small ball but I think it's a worse idea for our team than most. Our stregth is power we score most of our runs off of extra base hits so giving up outs to advance runners is pretty pointless. There's nothing like using an out to sacrifice a guy to third or watch a player get thrown out at second followed by a home run in the next at bat.
Plus when you are facing a four run defciet, playing for one run isn't going to cut it and playing small ball with only six runners on base is hard to do.