PDA

View Full Version : Welcome Chris Boden..."cue evil laugh, please..."

hsnterprize
07-16-2004, 07:47 AM
According to Robert Feder's column in today's Sun Times, (http://www.suntimes.com/output/feder/cst-fin-feder161.html) Chris Boden will take over for Damon Andrews as the in-studio host for White Sox pre and post game shows. Now here's the twist...

According to my news director, Chris is a HUGE CUBS FAN who HATES the White Sox. So how about that for irony, huh? I remember him saying to our favorite 9-11 AM radio personality that we Sox fans "do have an inferiority complex." Well, Chris...we're your audience now, pal. So remember...it's U.S. Cellular Field, not Wrigley Field, and when you see the home team in silver and black, that's not a color problem with the TV monitors and such. As for Andrews, I won't repeat the story, but he's taking the sports director position at KTLA in Los Angeles. What I can give y'all the "scoop" on is that he's originally from L.A., and he's glad to take the position in light of being in his hometown, and that he can be close to his grandfather who is in his old age. Say a prayer for Damon, will ya?

In all seriousness, Chris has been trying to get back into TV since his leaving CBS 2. I talked with him when I covered a game a couple of weeks ago. Congrats to him, but I think it's kinda funny he has to talk about the White Sox, and the Sox fans and their "inferiority complexes" and all. He's a professional, but it's now going to be tougher to tell whether he's sincere in his praise of the Sox since he's a Cub fan personafied.

Kogs35
07-16-2004, 08:43 AM
According to Robert Feder's column in today's Sun Times, (http://www.suntimes.com/output/feder/cst-fin-feder161.html)Chris Boden will take over for Damon Andrews as the in-studio host for White Sox pre and post game shows. Now here's the twist...

According to my news director, Chris is a HUGE CUBS FAN who HATES the White Sox. So how about that for irony, huh? I remember him saying to our favorite 9-11 AM radio personality that we Sox fans "do have an inferiority complex." Well, Chris...we're your audience now, pal. So remember...it's U.S. Cellular Field, not Wrigley Field, and when you see the home team in silver and black, that's not a color problem with the TV monitors and such. As for Andrews, I won't repeat the story, but he's taking the sports director position at KTLA in Los Angeles. What I can give y'all the "scoop" on is that he's originally from L.A., and he's glad to take the position in light of being in his hometown, and that he can be close to his grandfather who is in his old age. Say a prayer for Damon, will ya?

In all seriousness, Chris has been trying to get back into TV since his leaving CBS 2. I talked with him when I covered a game a couple of weeks ago. Congrats to him, but I think it's kinda funny he has to talk about the White Sox, and the Sox fans and their "inferiority complexes" and all. He's a professional, but it's now going to be tougher to tell whether he's sincere in his praise of the Sox since he's a Cub fan personafied.
i thought he was a sox fan. i remember him saying that he was a sox fan when he hosted a sunday show with dave judea.

Over By There
07-16-2004, 08:53 AM
He hosts "The Cub Show" Sunday mornings on WMVP too, right? Hmm.

Brian26
07-16-2004, 09:06 AM
He hosts "The Cub Show" Sunday mornings on WMVP too, right? Hmm.

Yep.

DrCrawdad
07-16-2004, 09:22 AM
...According to my news director, Chris is a HUGE CUBS FAN who HATES the White Sox...

:wills
I think you know which team I love and which team I loath.

Kogs35
07-16-2004, 09:38 AM
any1 remember in 2000 eric goodman i think was his name hosted the sox and cubs pre and post on fsn.

Tekijawa
07-16-2004, 09:58 AM
ANy way we can flood him with email's about his feelings on how much better the Sox are than the Cubs that he'd have to answer on air?

hellenicsoxfan
07-16-2004, 06:33 PM
If they were going to make a Cub fan the host, wouldn't Grobber have been a much better choice?

DrCrawdad
07-16-2004, 08:41 PM
If they were going to make a Cub fan the host, wouldn't Grobber have been a much better choice?

Here! Here!

BainesHOF
07-16-2004, 11:01 PM
It's really too bad Damon Andrews is leaving. We've seen plenty of clowns around Sox broadcasts over the years, but Andrews was not one of them. He had just the right touch. I'll miss him a lot.

If what is being said about Bowden being a Cubs fan, I don't want him anywhere near a Sox broadcast.

Grobber33
07-16-2004, 11:15 PM
Thanks for the kind thoughts! I have to say Damon is a Class Act,a true Pro and an even better person who will indeed be missed here. I wish him the best.
Chris will do a good job however. He was a Student of mine at Columbia College and he will be well aware of which team he's doing the post game for.
Plenty of my former Students are doing well and Chris is one of them.
Give him a shot,I think you'll all be pleased!

hsnterprize
07-16-2004, 11:53 PM
Thanks for the kind thoughts! I have to say Damon is a Class Act,a true Pro and an even better person who will indeed be missed here. I wish him the best.
Chris will do a good job however. He was a Student of mine at Columbia College and he will be well aware of which team he's doing the post game for.
Plenty of my former Students are doing well and Chris is one of them.
Give him a shot,I think you'll all be pleased! Hey, fellow Columbia alum...

When were you a teacher at Columbia? Who knows...maybe I'd be in a better position if I were one of your former students, too.

I talked to Chris when I was at the Cell. He's a good guy. If anything, I started this thread just to poke some harmless fun. He is a pro, and it'll be good to see how he works the studio and such.

But...seeing you doing the pre and post-game thing wouldn't be bad either.

Grobber33
07-17-2004, 11:24 AM
Hey, fellow Columbia alum...

When were you a teacher at Columbia? Who knows...maybe I'd be in a better position if I were one of your former students, too.

I talked to Chris when I was at the Cell. He's a good guy. If anything, I started this thread just to poke some harmless fun. He is a pro, and it'll be good to see how he works the studio and such.

But...seeing you doing the pre and post-game thing wouldn't be bad either.
I Graduated from Columbia in 1973 and thought two different sources there from 1976 thru 1985. The late Al Parker was the reason I did it,and he was an idle of amny of us. Al was a major reason that School is as good as it is today!
I ceased teaching in 1986 because the TV Dept Chairman for lack of a better term-hated my guts. I dont knwo why,because I was always very respectful towords him. I will not menetion his name out of respect since he passes away over a year ago.
I am proud of the fact that many of my former Students have done well.
Ppeggy Kucinski(WMAQ-TV),Kenny McReynolds(WCIU-TV),Jim Kozimore(has done NBA games,used to be on WMVP),Jim Modelski(used to be WMVP Sports Director),Mike Ogulnick(now at WMVP) and even a guy names Bob Elson Jr who went into business for himself rather than follow in his HOF Dad's footsteps. There were others.

Columbia is not known much around the Country for two reasons,,,,,we dont have Sports Teams, and we dont have riots!!
Pat Sejak(Wheel of Fortune)and Chet Coppock are both Columbia Alums.

BainesHOF
07-17-2004, 11:32 AM
Grobber -

Let's cut to the chase. Is Bowden a Cubs fan or a Sox fan?

I don't want merely a professional in that position. Nor am I looking for a blatant homer. I simply want someone who will have a lot of passion for the team.

Frankfan4life
07-17-2004, 11:49 AM
It's really too bad Damon Andrews is leaving. We've seen plenty of clowns around Sox broadcasts over the years, but Andrews was not one of them. He had just the right touch. I'll miss him a lot.

If what is being said about Bowden being a Cubs fan, I don't want him anywhere near a Sox broadcast.My feelings exactly. Damon Andrews "the Big Guy" was great. He did his job with a great deal of professionalism and enthusiasm. I'm really going to miss him.

I just wonder why they couldn't find a White Sox fan or a neutral party to do these broadcasts. No matter how good professionally Bowden is, I'll think that secretly he'll be happy when the Sox lose.

Grobber33
07-17-2004, 01:28 PM
My feelings exactly. Damon Andrews "the Big Guy" was great. He did his job with a great deal of professionalism and enthusiasm. I'm really going to miss him.

I just wonder why they couldn't find a White Sox fan or a neutral party to do these broadcasts. No matter how good professionally Bowden is, I'll think that secretly he'll be happy when the Sox lose.
To be honest, I don't know. I always THOUGHT he was a Sox Fan,but others say differently. So,tell you what I'd do.....I'll ask him when I next see him. He'll tell me the truth,and I'll then pass it on to this thread. Fair enough??

Realist
07-17-2004, 02:05 PM
I Graduated from Columbia in 1973 and thought two different sources there from 1976 thru 1985. The late Al Parker was the reason I did it,and he was an idle of amny of us. Al was a major reason that School is as good as it is today!
I ceased teaching in 1986 because the TV Dept Chairman for lack of a better term-hated my guts. I dont knwo why,because I was always very respectful towords him. I will not menetion his name out of respect since he passes away over a year ago.
Ppeggy Kucinski(WMAQ-TV),Kenny McReynolds(WCIU-TV),Jim Kozimore(has done NBA games,used to be on WMVP),Jim Modelski(used to be WMVP Sports Director),Mike Ogulnick(now at WMVP) and even a guy names Bob Elson Jr who went into business for himself rather than follow in his HOF Dad's footsteps. There were others.

Columbia is not known much around the Country for two reasons,,,,,we dont have Sports Teams, and we dont have riots!!
Pat Sejak(Wheel of Fortune)and Chet Coppock are both Columbia Alums.Probably the most successful former Columbia College student has to be Janusz Kaminski (http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0001405/#cinematographer). He was a friend of mine when we went to Columbia together and now he's Steven Spielberg's cinematographer on everything he shoots.

He's won two Academy Awards for Best Cinematography. One for Schindler's List and one for Saving Private Ryan. It's ironic how how much Janusz was so anti-Hollywood when we were students together and now he's Spielberg's guy.

Columbia College has garnered a great reputation and is very well known in the film community throughout the country.

----

I teach part-time in the film department at Columbia College. I've heard that the politics can get pretty ugly, so I steer way clear of that stuff. I show up at my class, teach my class and get the hell outta there. The only time any of the other staff would even see me is when I would turn my grades in at the end of the semester and I'd have to go to the film office. The people in the office would invariably say, "You teach here??" when I'd show up that last week of class. Maybe I'm a little paranoid but I could swear I could hear a little disappointment in the tone of their voice as if they wish I would come around the office more often so they'd have something bad to say about me. :D:

Now we get to turn our grades in via the internet so I don't even have to ever "show up at the office". All they get to do is read my fabulous review by the students and wonder just who the hell I am.

Grobber, you should consider teaching at Columbia again. Now that the part time faculty has been unionized, we're making some pretty decent coinage. It can't be beat as far as part-time jobs go.
:offtopic:

----

I'm really gonna miss Damon Andrews. I was just thinking last week about how much he's improved and what a treat it is to watch him during the pre and post game shows. <--- ON TOPIC! :smile:

Grobber33
07-17-2004, 03:55 PM
[QUOTE=Realist]

Columbia College has garnered a great reputation and is very well known in the film community throughout the country.

Grobber, you should consider teaching at Columbia again. Now that the part time faculty has been unionized, we're making some pretty decent coinage. It can't be beat as far as part-time jobs go.

To be honest,it paid very well when I was there also. It was a fun place to be a Student as well as Faculty Member,and I was luckey to be both.

OK, just talked to Chris Boden and he's a native South Sider,but his household was Cub Fans, yet he told me he's not really partial to eather team,but will be to the Sox now.

Frankfan4life
07-17-2004, 10:07 PM
To be honest, I don't know. I always THOUGHT he was a Sox Fan,but others say differently. So,tell you what I'd do.....I'll ask him when I next see him. He'll tell me the truth,and I'll then pass it on to this thread. Fair enough??Fair. I really hope he is a Sox fan. I don't want to see a Sox commentator wearing cubbie blue on the street. It wouldn't seem right.

BainesHOF
07-18-2004, 03:30 AM
OK, just talked to Chris Boden and he's a native South Sider,but his household was Cub Fans, yet he told me he's not really partial to eather team,but will be to the Sox now.
Thanks for the info. I'm not sure I entirely believe Chris' answer. How many baseball fans grow up in Chicago and don't have an allegiance to one team or the other?

In any case, I'll give him a chance. He has some big shoes to fill in more ways than one. Damon Andrews was probably the most underrated on-air sports personality in the city.

hsnterprize
07-18-2004, 12:20 PM
Grobber -

Let's cut to the chase. Is Bowden a Cubs fan or a Sox fan?

I don't want merely a professional in that position. Nor am I looking for a blatant homer. I simply want someone who will have a lot of passion for the team.Well to quote a source I can assure has a TON of credibility, Mr. Boden was seen wearing Cubbie blue at a game he recently attended, and that his wife, who is a Sox fan, bought a Sox outfit for their baby and Chris was none too happy about it.

hsnterprize
07-18-2004, 12:29 PM

Pat Sejak(Wheel of Fortune)and Chet Coppock are both Columbia Alums.Al Parker will ALWAYS hold a place in my heart. He was a friend as well as a mentor to my brief media career. Even Carmen DeFalco can attest to Mr. Parker's kindness and professionalism. Let's face it, if you're in the Chicago media in one way or another, you know about how Columbia College is a precedent to one's success in this business.

Josh Liss was my biggest inspriation as a speaker for a class I took with Al. Josh is the sports director for WBBM NewsRadio 780, and he's big to me because he's around my age. A young guy the sports director of a major-market radio station like WBBM is a guy who's got a pretty neat gig. I pray I'll be able to follow his tracks very soon. Not only am I a news/sports reporter at WMBI, but I'm also a news anchor at the Illinois Radio Network (Julie Swieca is there, too as a sports anchor. I'll be anchoring sports there soon).

Ah...Columbia College. Me and other students/alumni have said the only normal people there are the radio, TV, journalism, and film students. Do you or any Columbia alumni/students concur?