PDA

View Full Version : Cubune Toadies Strike Again!

PaleHoseGeorge
09-27-2001, 10:32 AM
The headlines for the past two days have been outrageous. In fact, it has been the headlines that have been most outrageous all season long. Clowns like Rogers and Sullivan don't write the headlines; the Cubune editors do.

So is it any surprise these upwardly-mobile corporate toads have treated us to the following...

After Tuesday's loss, the Cubune buried the Sox on page six with this headline: "Sox still can't solve Twins". Of course the Flubbies had lost, too, to the last-place Pirates, the worst team in the league. The Cubune toadies gave them this page one (bottom of the page) headline: "Role Reversal: Pirates Romp".

So after last night's Sox victory and the Cubs finally beating the Pirates, here's how the Cubune spins it. The Sox get a left-handed compliment with this page three headline: "Surging Sox finally solve fading Twins". Meanwhile the Cubs get page one's feature headline "Last (home)stand, Cubs seal 'must' win--and must keep winning"

Now exactly how is the Twins "fade" any different than the Cubs'? Why weren't the "fading Cubs" noted in Tuesday's headline? And how is it the Cubune will take a slap at the Sox's opponent, Minnesota, a team that actually accomplished something this year, while the Flubs' opponent, the worst team in the National League, gets off with nothing at all? The Cubune's toadies aren't saying. There are promotions waiting for those most-favored. No sense rocking the boat taking a needless jab at a sister division's performance.

And butter wouldn't melt in their mouth.

Remember this next time one of the Cubune employees whines how unfair it is to accuse them of bias.

cheeses_h_rice
09-27-2001, 10:43 AM
Another thing I've noticed on Cubsinteractive.com is that the Sox victories are usually buried about the 5th story down -- today it appears after stories about Jordan, the Bears, and U of I's football game this weekend -- and that the "what's coming" column always displays the Flubbie pitching matchups without even mentioning the Sox games at all.

You wouldn't know that the Sox's record was just 3 games worse than the Flubs, or that the Sox were about as far out of first as the Flubbies were, from the looks of things.

Oh, that's right -- the Flubs are 4.5 games behind the Wild Card leader (in third place overall) with 10 games to play. Their chances of winning the Wild Card are still quite good, *****.

GASHWOUND
09-27-2001, 11:46 AM
The Sun-Times is no fair paper either. Not only do they employ Moronotti, headlines suck and most of the time they stick the Sox recap Waaaay at the bottom of the page. On the internet anyway. The only paper that gives us our fair due is the DailySouthtown. I met Mr. Joe C. one time and he was very nice. Cool guy.

Tragg
09-27-2001, 04:03 PM
To be fair, the Cubs are still in the race - fading, but a lot closer than we are.
I can't criticize giving them top headines at this time of the year considering their position in the standings v. ours.

Nellie_Fox
09-28-2001, 10:35 AM
The Sox are now 2 games back of the Cubs. It is a very real possibility the Sox could end up in second place and the Cubs in third, with the Cubs having a worse record. I don't know about you folks, but that will take some of the sting out of this season for me.

Fisk Fan
09-28-2001, 10:59 AM
I can't wait to read the headlines if the Sox finish with a better record than the Flubs. It will be delicious!!!

Then again, that too will probably be swept under the rug.