PDA

View Full Version : how do you figure Magic Numbers?

soxwon
07-15-2004, 09:31 PM
someone posted last week our magic number was 85 is this correct, or is it 79?
how do you figure it out?

Whitesox029
07-15-2004, 09:37 PM
everytime the sox win or the twins lose, our magic number goes down by one, so if I were to take a wild guess at a mathematical formula, I'd say it's the number of games we have left minus the number of games we are ahead with half games rounded up to the nearest 1. If so, that makes it 77. I could be wrong.

FightingBillini
07-15-2004, 09:39 PM
Obviously, the team needs to be in first place. You count the number of games the teams have left, then subtract games for the lead the team has. The number you have left is the number of either Sox wins or Twins losses to give us the championship. The number is in the high 70s, but I dont want to figure it out until late august, a half game lead is fleeting.

Whitesox029
07-15-2004, 09:51 PM
Obviously, the team needs to be in first place. You count the number of games the teams have left, then subtract games for the lead the team has. The number you have left is the number of either Sox wins or Twins losses to give us the championship. The number is in the high 70s, but I dont want to figure it out until late august, a half game lead is fleeting.The team doesn't necessarily have to be in first. You just add the number of games behind (The magic number will be greater than the remaining games). If the season runs out before the magic number, well then that means you didn't win the division. Theoretically all teams have a magic number, even the Royals. And I need to correct myself--our number is 78 because I forgot to count our makeup against Philly.

The Cheat
07-16-2004, 01:21 AM
Magic number (while in first place) = 163 - (Your wins + 2nd place's losses). The Magic number can be figured when you're not in first place, In that case it's you substitute the number of losses from the 1st place team.

Tragic Number (death clock) = 163 -(your losses + 1st place's wins)

http://www.hae.com/bp/magic.html

BlackAndWhite
07-16-2004, 09:03 AM
how do you figure Magic Numbers?
First, you start by waiting until late August...:D: