PDA

View Full Version : White Sox-McDonald's Ads

Viva Magglio
07-15-2004, 09:28 PM
We have all seen the the array of McDonald's "Feed the Rivalry" commercials featuring the White Sox-Cubs rivalry. But have you noticed that almost all the ads feature the White Sox fan doing something bad to the Cub fan:

Sox fan tatoo artist tatooing the White Sox logo to a Cub fan's back
Elderly Sox fan deflating the tires of a young Cub fan's bike.
White Sox fan dousing a Cub fan with a lawn sprinkler.
In comparison, I have only seen one of the McDonald's ads featuring the opposite happening, and that is much more benign. That is the one with the Cub fan father making his baby son cry upon the appearance of a White Sox baby rattle.

It looks like McDonald's has created an anti-White Sox campaing by stereotyping us. I am not certain that was their intent, but that is the perception by me.

FightingBillini
07-15-2004, 09:29 PM
I agree. I noticed that too.

MarqSox
07-15-2004, 09:30 PM
I noticed it, and I love it. I wish all the commercials had us picking on Cubs fans -- they deserve it.:gulp:

Viva Magglio
07-15-2004, 09:32 PM
I noticed it, and I love it. I wish all the commercials had us picking on Cubs fans -- they deserve it.:gulp:
But that feeds right into the negative Sox fan stereotype of us being more intersted in attacking the Cubs than following our own team.

doctor30th
07-15-2004, 09:34 PM
What about the Fox Sports Net commercials where criminals who look pretty scummy break into a sox fans house and then replace everything after they notice is a sox fan. That one ticks me off a bit.

Palehose13
07-15-2004, 09:43 PM
What about the Fox Sports Net commercials where criminals who look pretty scummy break into a sox fans house and then replace everything after they notice is a sox fan. That one ticks me off a bit.

That is an FSN commercial. They do it for every region with their team. I get to see the commercials b/c I have the MLB extra innings package, but if I didn't I would be pissed too and think it was a stereotype.

DirtyWindow
07-15-2004, 09:56 PM
and were ALL the sox fans black or hispanic? cause it seems to me like EVERY commercial that features a cubs fan and a sox fan have the sox fan a minority. i see that as being very racist on both accounts

HomeFish
07-15-2004, 09:59 PM
and were ALL the sox fans black or hispanic? cause it seems to me like EVERY commercial that features a cubs fan and a sox fan have the sox fan a minority. i see that as being very racist on both accounts

Actually, in these ads all of the minorities are Cub fans.

nasox
07-15-2004, 10:03 PM
Actually, in these ads all of the minorities are Cub fans.
Not really. It is half and half.

mantis1212
07-15-2004, 10:06 PM
These were funny at first, when the interleague games were coming up. I think its time to kill 'em.

Chisox_cali
07-15-2004, 10:06 PM
Some of you guys are really reaching for the conspiracy....

the_valenstache
07-16-2004, 12:55 AM
Some of you guys are really reaching for the conspiracy....
AMEN.

Would you rather it was a Cubs fan picking on a Sox fan?

There'd be a million posts about how McDonalds is part of the ever-growing media conspiracy to have the Sox contracted by uniting the national populace against our humble little team.

Aidan
07-16-2004, 12:57 AM
My dad told me about this. They make the White Sox fans look like absolute thugs while the Cubs fan is just a "fun-loving" dad playing with his kid. When I finally saw them I knew they were definately a biased set of commercials.

guillen4life13
07-16-2004, 01:02 AM
I look at it much differently.

For me, the Cubs fan always looks STUPID!!! The tattoo one? That guy seems stupid! I mean, c'mon.

If you're looking to find something, you'll definitely find it.

milrtyme28
07-16-2004, 02:20 AM
i agree - the cub fan in the tatoo commercial looks like the typical moron cub fan and the tatoo artist even plays with the guy - "cubbie blue and you!"

they portray the cub fan as the typical drunken frat boy - I think its great. :D:

ClaudelSleptHere
07-16-2004, 03:32 AM
Why not have one where the Sox fans walk right past a McDonalds saying "Let's wait 'til we get to our ballpark and get some good food." On second thought, that one might not fly for McDonalds. Okay, how about thousands of Cub fans pouring out of Wrigley and going straight to McDonalds for some "good food."

Uncle_Patrick
07-16-2004, 09:06 AM
I think the commercial with that tattoo plays up the stereotypes of both fans, actually. There's the Sox fan, a heavily-tattooed, white trash type, and there's the Cub's fan, the cell phone-chatting, frat boy.

The other commercials are pretty harmless. The old man deflating the kid's tire, the guy spraying the other guy with the hose or whatever, they all pretty tame. You know there'd probably be an 8 page thread bashing McDonald's if the commercials portrayed Sox fans on the receiving end of abuse by Cubs fans.

DumpJerry
07-16-2004, 09:11 AM
I think the Mickey D ads sum up how it feels to be a Sox fan, I love 'em!

I also love the Pepsi ad where the Sox fan burns Mr. Steriod with a hot taco and then mocks his "this is my chest" gesture......

DaveIsHere
07-16-2004, 09:14 AM
These commercials are great, they give the impression that Sox Fans are that much smarter than the "go with" Flub fans. You people are way too sensitive

Uncle_Patrick
07-16-2004, 09:16 AM
These commercials are great, they give the impression that Sox Fans are that much smarter than the "go with" Flub fans. You people are way too sensitive
Agreed. In those commercials, the only time a Cub fan has the upper hand is when he teaches his baby to make noises at a White Sox rattle. Wow, that's impressive.

mantis1212
07-16-2004, 10:18 AM
I look at it much differently.

For me, the Cubs fan always looks STUPID!!! The tattoo one? That guy seems stupid! I mean, c'mon.

If you're looking to find something, you'll definitely find it.
That tattoo commercial is by far the funniest one! "It's gonna be CUBBIE BLUE DUDE- CUBBIE BLUE!!!"
The guy looks like a total idiot- I know Cub fans who absolutely hate that commercial. How can you complain about that??

nlentz88
07-16-2004, 11:51 AM
I think we can all agree that these commercials (both the McDonald's ones and the Pepsi one) all stereotype Sox fans and Cub fans. As with all stereotypes, there is always a seed of truth to the over-generalization.

Are all Sox fans resentful of the Cubs and looking to rain on their parade? No, not all Sox fans, but many do.

Are all Scrub fans cell-phone chatting frat boys? No, but many are.

McDonald's is not to blame here nor is their advertising agency. All they did was tap into the generally accepted stereotypes of Sox and Cub fans.

If Sox or Sub fans aren't interested in the way they're portrayed in commercials, then maybe they should do something to change the way their respective fan bases are perceived.

Personally, I have no desire to change the way Sox fans are perceived. I like being portrayed as the rough, tough fans in town. I like being shown as the type of fan who is so loyal to his team that he wages his own personal war against the fans of the rival team. To me, this stereotype isn't negative at all. I'd much rather be portrayed as a rough, vindictive tattoo artist than an idiot Cubs fan who gets duped. I'd rather be perceived as the type of fan who would sabotage Shammy Sosa's buritto than a Cubs fan who trains his infant to make noises when shown a Sox rattle.

And yes, these commerials meant so much more when we were playing in the cross town series. Now they're starting to get old, although I do still like the Pepsi one because it showcases Sammy's amazing acting ability ("It's so real!").

Erik The Red
07-16-2004, 12:04 PM
although I do still like the Pepsi one because it showcases Sammy's amazing acting ability ("It's so real!"). HAHA, I almost forgot about that commercial. God, I wish I could dig up a video of that to laugh at.

sox_fan_forever
07-16-2004, 12:13 PM
I love the tattoo commercial. That guy is such a sterotypical scrub fan! Cracks me up every time. I do agree though that the commercials are getting a little old.

nasox
07-16-2004, 06:10 PM
My reaction to these commercials:

Meh.

Jerome
07-16-2004, 06:33 PM
Looks like the newspaper column inch-counters have spawned into the TV commercial sensitivity watchers.