PDA

View Full Version : Proof and Data, Bridgeport safer than Wrigleyville!!!

joeynach
07-15-2004, 04:13 PM
Ok after this whole situation has gotton out of hand both here and at cubs sites i thought it was time to come up with some hard data for everyone to see. There is so much bickering back and forth with the media, fans, and such about whose place is really safer to go to. We all know cub fans claim our area is trash and ya da ya da and basically there is gorgeous and the basically the media agrees with them, epecially fox 32. Well here is some hardcore data and facts that prove otherwise from the chicago police department itself. Although this is only 1/3 of a year of data (2003) it accuratly shows the pattern. 2002 data is also listed with comparasion in the link below. Attached is a cut out from a district map of chicago, Brideport (US Cellular) is 2 and Lakeview (wrigley) is 18.

http://egov.cityofchicago.org/webportal/COCWebPortal/COC_EDITORIAL/IndexCrimes_2.html

As you can see the area around our park is much safer crimewise than the area around Wrigley. We had 1,429 reported crimes in 1/3 of a year (2003) vs. their 3,183. Thats a pretty big difference. The thing i found interesting was the property damage category. Lakeview way more vandalism crimes then bridgeport and this is scary to residents. Lakeview/Wrigleyville really is a giant mardi gras area which is dangerous to residents and their property. THey had 2,841 crimes of property to Bridgeports 895, WOW. Anyway here is the link to the page with all the info. It has comparasion to prior's years stats (02 and 03) and other stats as well.

P.S. To anyone interested please feel free to share this information with cub sites and the MEDIA, hear that hangar.

Link to map of police districts (on page 10)

http://egov.cityofchicago.org/webportal/COCWebPortal/COC_EDITORIAL/HateCrimes02_1.pdf

Hangar18
07-15-2004, 04:35 PM
Good Job Joey. You realize youve managed to Piss off Mike Kiley,
Nancy Loo, Mark Giangreco, Jay Moronotti and the rest of the Cub-Loving
Media. What they will say is that we Tampered with the stats .........
What Im going to do.........is make a copy of this, and carry it in the car with me, just for those occasions when dumb sheep-like fans of the north side
begin to spew "Stats" about dangerous areas ............
I suggest many of you do the same :angry:

Kogs35
07-15-2004, 04:41 PM
What Im going to do.........is make a copy of this, and carry it in the car with me, just for those occasions when dumb sheep-like fans of the north side
dont forget to email that to mark suppelsa of fox32. he did his "report" on it and came up with false info

Rocky Soprano
07-15-2004, 04:43 PM
Maybe Walter "batboy" Jacobson will do one of his perspectives on this!

joeynach
07-15-2004, 04:44 PM
I try man. By the way is this not enough to prove our point? You will probably have to print out that map of the districts to show those idiots its for real and we are not cheating by using different areas or something. Sheesh we have been saying it for years, where the heck did fox and all those other media morons get there data from. I got mine from the Chicago Police Dept website. Eat it media and fox 32 losers.

Risk
07-15-2004, 04:51 PM
The only problem with that is that you may be better off talking to a brick wall then trying to talk rationally to Flub fans. Even the most informative, official, factual data can never change the views of the utterly delusional/inept "fans."

Risk

joeynach
07-15-2004, 04:55 PM
The only problem with that is that you may be better off talking to a brick wall then trying to talk rationally to Flub fans. Even the most informative, official, factual data can never change the views of the utterly delusional/inept "fans."

Risk
Still someone should email this information to wally jacobson, suppelsa, other fox people, and just other sports media people in general spread the word and evidence.

How about brooks boyer too............

fado
07-15-2004, 05:09 PM
The Cell is actually in the ninth district. Wrigley, depending on how you look at it is actually in the 23rd district on the east side of Clark. The west side of Clark is the 19th district. I think that is what you really should take a look at. The size of the ninth district compared with the relatively smaller, but just about the same in population, 19th and 23rd districts. They are relatively the same, with Bridgeport being safer. I also attached the link for 2004.

http://egov.cityofchicago.org/webportal/COCWebPortal/COC_EDITORIAL/YTDIndx504.pdf

itsnotrequired
07-15-2004, 05:09 PM
Be careful with the data. Notice that District 2 has more homicides, criminal sexual assault, robbery, aggravated assault/battery, motor vehicle theft and arson crimes than District 18. This results in more violent crime (534 vs. 342) around the Cell. Considering the greater population of District 18 compared with District 2 and you get some not so good looking feelings about the area around the Cell. Property crime is what throws the total crime count into Wrigley's favor: 2,706 in 18 verses a mere 725 in 2.

If I were a casual fan looking to go to a game, violent crime is what I would care about a lot more than property crime. On the other hand, property owners in the areas will obviously have a much higher concern for their property which is why the Alderman for Lakeview is speaking on the residents behalf.

EDIT: If the Cell is indeed in the 9th district, the disparity is even worse.

fado
07-15-2004, 05:14 PM
EDIT: If the Cell is indeed in the 9th district, the disparity is even worse.[/QUOTE]
What everyone has to remember though is that the ninth has a large amount of public housing that is included in it to the south. Those stats skew the numbers greatly. But I agree with you, if an average fan who doesn't know the city well looks at those stats, they would be afraid.

itsnotrequired
07-15-2004, 05:19 PM
What everyone has to remember though is that the ninth has a large amount of public housing that is included in it to the south. Those stats skew the numbers greatly. But I agree with you, if an average fan who doesn't know the city well looks at those stats, they would be afraid.You're right. In fact, the best way to look at it is in terms of distance from the parks. Police Districts are not the best way to look at it but unfortunetly, that is the easiest way the data is organized. I mean, the 9th District goes all the way to Kedzie, for crying out loud! Like something happening at Kedzie and 51st has any relation to the park. Same thing with the 23rd. A crime at Fullerton and Sheridan? I'm guessing Wrigley isn't to blame...

Go to the CitizenICAM to really see what crime is like around the different parks. The Cell is indeed lower but once you factor in population density, it's probably higher.

http://12.17.79.6/

joeynach
07-15-2004, 05:42 PM
The Cell is actually in the ninth district. Wrigley, depending on how you look at it is actually in the 23rd district on the east side of Clark. The west side of Clark is the 19th district. I think that is what you really should take a look at. The size of the ninth district compared with the relatively smaller, but just about the same in population, 19th and 23rd districts. They are relatively the same, with Bridgeport being safer. I also attached the link for 2004.

http://egov.cityofchicago.org/webportal/COCWebPortal/COC_EDITORIAL/YTDIndx504.pdf
Dude look at the link i included for the map of districts. The 23rd and 19th districts look to far north, you can see what looks like montrose harbor jetting out. Wrigley is probably on the far north of 18 you can see the one jetty thing where sort of belmont would be. US Cellular is definatly not in the 9th district that is way to far west. Use the meigs field peninsula as a reference point and look againt. US Cell is in 2, bridgeport neighboorhood, and Wrigley is in 18, Lakeview neighborhood. The 9th is way to big to be bridgeport, its practically touches oak lawn and such, by midway airport and all.

fado
07-15-2004, 06:30 PM
The 9th district is on the corner of 35th and Lowe. It's four blocks west of The Cell. It's boundaries are Dan Ryan to the East, Stevenson to the North (roughly), Kedzie to the West, and 55th to the South. It's one of the largest districts in the city. That's whay I was saying earlier that their are alot of housing projects located to the South that skew the numbers. The Cell is located on the West side of the Dirty Dan, therefore in 9.

Wrigley is located right on a border of two districts. The 23rd is bordered by Lawrence to the north, the lake to the east, clark on the west, and Fullerton to the south. The 19th, has clark as it's eastern border, Lawrence to the north, Fullerton to the South, and roughly Western on the West. Wrigley sits in the 23rd but you have to take into account alot of the bars are located in the 23rd.

italiancee
07-15-2004, 06:32 PM
the cell is in the 9th district bro. working out of 35th and lowe is 9.it is also joined by the 12th which is pilsen neighborhood.i was born in bridgeport.i live in bridgeport still.been arrested in bridgeport.and will prrobably die here (or where ever i retire too when i get old):supernana:

SoxxoS
07-15-2004, 08:17 PM
Maybe Walter "batboy" Jacobson will do one of his perspectives on this!
His only perspective is on how many drinks one can have before driving.

joeynach
07-16-2004, 10:11 AM
You're right. In fact, the best way to look at it is in terms of distance from the parks. Police Districts are not the best way to look at it but unfortunetly, that is the easiest way the data is organized. I mean, the 9th District goes all the way to Kedzie, for crying out loud! Like something happening at Kedzie and 51st has any relation to the park. Same thing with the 23rd. A crime at Fullerton and Sheridan? I'm guessing Wrigley isn't to blame...

Go to the CitizenICAM to really see what crime is like around the different parks. The Cell is indeed lower but once you factor in population density, it's probably higher.

http://12.17.79.6/
Dude i took a look at this link here. Basically i entered the adress of each park and did 4 random searches of crime for 2004. You can only search for 2 week periods so i did one search for Mar-Jun if this year looking at two week periods in each month. The biggest search you could do was 1 square mile around the address. So i searched both stadiums and found there is way more reported crime around wrigley than US Cellular. In all 4 random searches wrigley had asbout 30 to 40 more reported crimes per 2 week period in 1 square mile around the park. Is this not further proof that the neighborhood around our park (bridgeport) is a quiet, safe, blue collor, working class, nice neighborhood. Meanwhile wrigleyville is a cespool of out of control behavior and thus crimes. Not a very calm, relaxed, decent neighborhood to live in.

fledgedrallycap
07-16-2004, 10:24 AM
Just to play devil's advocate, I wouldn't exactly get carried away with these stats. Look at the major offenses: Homicide, Sexual Assualt, Robbery, Battery. The Southside has an unfortunate lead in those categories while Lakeview carries it's weight in Property and Theft, relatively minor in comparison.

Anyone who actually goes to Bridgeport and visits Comiskey knows the area is nice, but you can't change the minds of individuals who don't want to be enlightened.

joeynach
07-16-2004, 10:35 AM
Anyone who actually goes to Bridgeport and visits Comiskey knows the area is nice, but you can't change the minds of individuals who don't want to be enlightened.
While this is very true i think the point we are trying to make is that there is nothing wrong at all with the neighborhood around US Cellular. Its just as nice and peacful as the area around wrigley (im not talking about the projects across the ryan). Bridgeport might not be a rich white yuppie haven with bars, pubs, resturants, patios, clubs and such but its neighborhood is very calm and traditional. I compare it to beverly (where is used to live), but a little more urban like, as beverly has some suburb qualities with open spaces and such. The point is there is no evidence to nark on the neighborhood around US Cellular being dangerous, nor the people. We have seen the proof, its just as safe as the north side park to walk through the neigborhood to get to your car or something.

itsnotrequired
07-16-2004, 11:36 AM
Dude i took a look at this link here. Basically i entered the adress of each park and did 4 random searches of crime for 2004. You can only search for 2 week periods so i did one search for Mar-Jun if this year looking at two week periods in each month. The biggest search you could do was 1 square mile around the address. So i searched both stadiums and found there is way more reported crime around wrigley than US Cellular. In all 4 random searches wrigley had asbout 30 to 40 more reported crimes per 2 week period in 1 square mile around the park. Is this not further proof that the neighborhood around our park (bridgeport) is a quiet, safe, blue collor, working class, nice neighborhood. Meanwhile wrigleyville is a cespool of out of control behavior and thus crimes. Not a very calm, relaxed, decent neighborhood to live in.I have always said the the area directly around Wrigley has more crime totals that the same area around the Cell (say, a 1 mile radius). This is indeed a "fact" but needs to be put in perspective. There are around 75,000 people living within a 1 mile radius of Wrigley; there is only about 35,000 living within a 1 mile radius od the Cell. So unless the crime totals around Wrigley are double what they are around the Cell, you really couldn't call it more dangerous. Also, look at the violent crimes compared to property crimes; there are more around the Cell. Wrigley has way more property crimes but Average Joe is going to care more about his family's safety rather than if his car gets peed on.

All that being said, I would not call the area around the Cell "unsafe". I have no problem walking around that area, day or night. But if someone sees more violent crime around the area than they are used to, they will stay away. Even if the levels are low enough that one really couldn't call it "dangerous".

I'm just pointing these things out because raw numbers don't always tell the whole story. If I was a Cub fan and someone pointed out the "fact" that the Wrigley area has more crime, I would do a little research to see what that really means. Sort of like that report on Fox saying their were more arrests on Sox property. Are the parking lots included? This will have an affect on what the totals "really" mean. I just don't want some Sox fan getting in some Cubs fan's face with these totals and have the Cubs fan come back with the arguments I laid out above.:smile:

joeynach
07-16-2004, 12:03 PM
I have always said the the area directly around Wrigley has more crime totals that the same area around the Cell (say, a 1 mile radius). This is indeed a "fact" but needs to be put in perspective. There are around 75,000 people living within a 1 mile radius of Wrigley; there is only about 35,000 living within a 1 mile radius od the Cell. So unless the crime totals around Wrigley are double what they are around the Cell, you really couldn't call it more dangerous. Also, look at the violent crimes compared to property crimes; there are more around the Cell. Wrigley has way more property crimes but Average Joe is going to care more about his family's safety rather than if his car gets peed on.

All that being said, I would not call the area around the Cell "unsafe". I have no problem walking around that area, day or night. But if someone sees more violent crime around the area than they are used to, they will stay away. Even if the levels are low enough that one really couldn't call it "dangerous".

I'm just pointing these things out because raw numbers don't always tell the whole story. If I was a Cub fan and someone pointed out the "fact" that the Wrigley area has more crime, I would do a little research to see what that really means. Sort of like that report on Fox saying their were more arrests on Sox property. Are the parking lots included? This will have an affect on what the totals "really" mean. I just don't want some Sox fan getting in some Cubs fan's face with these totals and have the Cubs fan come back with the arguments I laid out above.:smile:
Very true but it someone did use this info to try and get into a cub fans face they would probably just say something totally dumb as a comeback like attendance, they took 2 of 4, etc. So in fact we could trap them into embarassing themselves. Haha

itsnotrequired
07-16-2004, 12:09 PM
Very true but it someone did use this info to try and get into a cub fans face they would probably just say something totally dumb as a comeback like attendance, they took 2 of 4, etc. So in fact we could trap them into embarassing themselves. Haha
ZING!!!

vegyrex
07-16-2004, 12:27 PM
If I was a Cub fan and someone pointed out the "fact" that the Wrigley area has more crime, I would do a little research to see what that really means.

A flub fan do research??? :rolling:

joeynach
07-16-2004, 04:31 PM
A flub fan do research??? :rolling:
Tooshay!