PDA

View Full Version : Why don't we go after this guy?

Sell Jerry Sell!
07-15-2004, 03:02 PM
ESPN is reporting that the Mariners are going to let Olerud go.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1840371

I say we go for him, he can play a good first base, he can provide left handed balance to our lineup and with Frank out, we can DH Paulie.

Any thoughts?

P.S. Cbs sportsline has the Cubs 3 in their power rankings and us 8, how in the name of Bill Veeck does that happen?!?!:angry:

JDP
07-15-2004, 03:09 PM
Because if Seattle cuts him loose, whomever picks him up will be responsible for the rest of what is owed on the $7.7M owed to him

*shudder*

Basten
07-15-2004, 03:16 PM
ESPN is reporting that the Mariners are going to let Olerud go.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1840371

I say we go for him, he can play a good first base, he can provide left handed balance to our lineup and with Frank out, we can DH Paulie.

Any thoughts?

P.S. Cbs sportsline has the Cubs 3 in their power rankings and us 8, how in the name of Bill Veeck does that happen?!?!:angry:
**** no!

bafiarocks03
07-15-2004, 03:19 PM
One Word..........no!!!

Dadawg_77
07-15-2004, 03:20 PM
John was a good player and good defensive first baseman, but his mid 700 OPS isn't coming close to replacing Frank's production and we have Gload for that.

Iguana775
07-15-2004, 04:13 PM
If he clears waivers and gets his out right release, sign him for the Vet min and see what he can do.

Aidan
07-15-2004, 05:04 PM
Too old and too expensive. Not to mention his skills are declining rapidly.

eshunn2001
07-15-2004, 05:06 PM
Too old and too expensive. Not to mention his skills are declining rapidly.Not to include, he now SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!

scottyl
07-15-2004, 08:24 PM
He would fit the need the Sox have for a first baseman who wears a batting helmet.

SoxFan76
07-15-2004, 08:27 PM
He would fit the need the Sox have for a first baseman who wears a batting helmet.
I might go to hell for laughing at that. I forgot excatly why he wears it, but it was something pretty serious.

Cowch44
07-15-2004, 08:30 PM

Any thoughts?
Have you even looked at Paulie's fielding this year? Why would we play Paulie at DH?

munchman33
07-15-2004, 08:57 PM
I might go to hell for laughing at that. I forgot excatly why he wears it, but it was something pretty serious.
He suffered an anyeurism in college, and any blow to the head could be fatal.

munchman33
07-15-2004, 09:01 PM
Have you even looked at Paulie's fielding this year? Why would we play Paulie at DH?
You sir, need stop stop right there. I can't stand it when people perpetuate the untrue ascertain that Paulie is a good defensive first baseman because he has a good fielding percentage. He flat out stinks. He has absolutely zero range. If a ball is not right at him, or six inches to his glove side, he has absolutely no chance at getting the ball. I've never in my life seen a first basemen with worse instincts.

guillen4life13
07-15-2004, 11:43 PM
Olerud was designated for assignment, and if the Sox wait 10 days and get him, the M's will be responsible for his 7.7 mil salary.

I know he's in a down year, but he would be free (as I understand it), and he could turn it around with a contender. He's a very good defensive 1B, a left handed bat, and could be a very good all-around hitter.

Hey, there's nothing to lose, right?

Aidan
07-16-2004, 12:02 AM
If Seattle ends up having to pay the rest of his salary, I wouldn't mind taking a flier on him as a left-handed DH. However, he is definately on the downward spiral of his career.

guillen4life13
07-16-2004, 12:03 AM
If Seattle ends up having to pay the rest of his salary, I wouldn't mind taking a flier on him as a left-handed DH. However, he is definately on the downward spiral of his career.
Yea, but the way I see it, it can't hurt.

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-16-2004, 12:06 AM
He has a .354 OBP despite a very low average. Maybe a change of scenary would do him good. I'm still for getting Carl Everett, but if we can't, I don't think that Olerud would be as bad as Borchard/Gload at DH once Maggs starts playing RF.

Aidan
07-16-2004, 12:26 AM
I still think Carl Everett makes the most sense. He's relatively cheap and he can switch hit. He's also a pretty clutch hitter. With the Expos tanking another season, I could see them taking low-tier prospect(s) for him. Olerud is normally a good hitter with little power but he is probably a worse base-clogger than Paulie. Carl isn't too speedy either but he looks like the Flash next to Olerud.

JB98
07-16-2004, 12:31 AM
I still think Carl Everett makes the most sense. He's relatively cheap and he can switch hit. He's also a pretty clutch hitter. With the Expos tanking another season, I could see them taking low-tier prospect(s) for him. Olerud is normally a good hitter with little power but he is probably a worse base-clogger than Paulie. Carl isn't too speedy either but he looks like the Flash next to Olerud.
I agree that Crazy Carl makes the most sense. If we learn that Frank is out for the long haul, we should acquire Carl to be the DH. I do not want to see Everett in CF again.

Olerud = washed-up
He was horrible the second half of last year and horrible so far this year. He has no speed, foot speed or bat speed, and no power to speak of. I think he'd be a totally worthless acquisition at this stage.

Aidan
07-16-2004, 12:36 AM
I agree that Crazy Carl makes the most sense. If we learn that Frank is out for the long haul, we should acquire Carl to be the DH. I do not want to see Everett in CF again.

Olerud = washed-up
He was horrible the second half of last year and horrible so far this year. He has no speed, foot speed or bat speed, and no power to speak of. I think he'd be a totally worthless acquisition at this stage.Agreed. Olerud is a shell of his former self. He will probably retire soon.

scottyl
07-16-2004, 12:50 AM
He suffered an anyeurism in college, and any blow to the head could be fatal.

I didn't realize that. Sorry I made the joke.

Nellie_Fox
07-16-2004, 01:22 AM
He would fit the need the Sox have for a first baseman who wears a batting helmet.Dick Allen always wore a batting helmet in the field. It was because the Phillies fans used to throw stuff at him, and he just got used to having it on all the time.

Aidan
07-16-2004, 01:31 AM
Wait a second... does Olerud really wear a batting helmet on the field?

EDIT: Wow, brutal...
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/features/olerud0125.html
Dr. Winn emerged from the Harborview Medical Center operating room Feb. 27, and told a large contingent from the O-Zone that the surgery was successful. They gave him a standing ovation.

Olerud faced a long road back. Doctors cut a window in the side of his head to gain access to the aneurysm, and wired the bone back in, leaving a vulnerable area. He still wears a helmet on the field at all times.

As a precaution while dealing with an elite athlete, doctors ran tubes into his neck and ankles to lessen the possibility of damaging his left arm or hands, which would ruin his career. Olerud came through surgery fine, but it left him very weak.

WhiteSox = Life
07-16-2004, 01:37 AM
Wait a second... does Olerud really wear a batting helmet on the field?
Yes, he does. See the above posts for further confirmation.

Jerome
07-16-2004, 05:52 PM
You sir, need stop stop right there. I can't stand it when people perpetuate the untrue ascertain that Paulie is a good defensive first baseman because he has a good fielding percentage. He flat out stinks. He has absolutely zero range. If a ball is not right at him, or six inches to his glove side, he has absolutely no chance at getting the ball. I've never in my life seen a first basemen with worse instincts.

Yeah, Konerko sucks. He's cost the Sox way too many games with his horrible defense at first.

Deadguy
07-16-2004, 06:07 PM
He's a very good defensive 1B, a left handed bat, and could be a very good all-around hitter.

He would never get to see time at 1B, since Konerko refuses to DH and says he's more comfortable while playing 1B.

StillMissOzzie
07-16-2004, 06:08 PM
We all know that KW loves a bargain, and the Sox would only be on the hook for the pro-rata share of the $300K MLB minimum. WHat if the Sox picked him up from release, parked him in Charlotte for 5-6 weeks, and then brought him up for the stretch drive?

SMO
:gulp:

munchman33
07-17-2004, 03:28 PM
Yeah, Konerko sucks. He's cost the Sox way too many games with his horrible defense at first.
If I had a dime for every ground ball that got by him causing a run to score that a decent first basemen would reach, I'd have about $1.50 this year alone.