PDA

View Full Version : Barry Zito

Chek2002
07-15-2004, 03:01 PM
I have heard that Oakland may try to trade Barry Zito. If Oakland makes Zito available the Sox should try to make a deal. I realize his numbers are not that great this season, but they are better than Schoeneweis or anybody else who we can plug into the fifth spot. A rotation of Garcia, Buehrle, Garland, Loaiza, and Zito would be pretty darn good. Zito is signed through next season with an option for the 2006 season I believe. He is also relatively cheap, making only 3 million this season. Also, Zito is only 26 only a year older than Rauch but much more prov-en, and has postseason experience. Any thoughts? :D:

samram
07-15-2004, 03:04 PM
Zito isn't going anywhere unless Hudson comes back and shows his problems are behind him. Otherwise, he's going to stay there.

JDP
07-15-2004, 03:04 PM
Unsubstantiated and probably going to be moved, but none-the-less...

Zito makes $2.7M this season, $4.8M next season and the A's have an '06 option at $7.0M. Why trade that talent and CY (obviously) potential when he is quite cheap? Doesn't make sense......

fledgedrallycap
07-15-2004, 03:06 PM
The great Billy Beane knows all....

ode to veeck
07-15-2004, 03:10 PM
we should hammer Zito this weekend so bad we drive down his trade value, thereby getting a chance to get him on the cheap

Sox Sweep in Oakland this weekend!!

JDP
07-15-2004, 03:10 PM
The great Billy Beane knows all....
He sure knew what he was doing when trading away Billy Koch........

leftfieldbleachy
07-16-2004, 05:41 AM
Bearing in mind that most people consider Billy Beane to be a pretty smart guy, and most of the rest would concede that he is not a moron, just who would you be suggesting the Sox give up in exchange for Zito?

fquaye149
07-16-2004, 06:26 AM
Bearing in mind that most people consider Billy Beane to be a pretty smart guy, and most of the rest would concede that he is not a moron, just who would you be suggesting the Sox give up in exchange for Zito?
i'm sure there's someone in the minors who knows how to keep the bat on his shoulder who billy can tell everyone he fleeced us for.

Or an UNBELIEVABLE middle reliever!

leftfieldbleachy
07-16-2004, 06:37 AM
So you're relying on the tendency of Beane to give up high-level players with recent Cy Young awards and below-market contracts for minor league players who "keep the bat on their shoulders"?

Or in other words, seeing as there is no evidence of such a tendency, you're basically pulling all of this out of your ass?

jackbrohamer
07-16-2004, 05:46 PM
:troll

right? Not much of an attempt to hide it either

Jerome
07-16-2004, 05:57 PM
'keeping the bat on his shoulder" has worked pretty well for the A's the last couple of years since BB took over, all at a lower payroll than pretty much every team.

leftfieldbleachy
07-16-2004, 08:23 PM
What was trolling?

People are suggesting a trade for Zito, I asked who we should be trading to get him, that Oakland would actually go for, and I got a smartass non-answer.

C'mon, don't be like the New York fans who say, "Why don't we trade Bubba Crosby for Guerrero?" If you think trading for Zito would be a good move, let's hear an offer that would make sense.

Lip Man 1
07-16-2004, 09:19 PM
Well the way he's pitching against the Sox so far, he's not going anywhere.

Lip

FarWestChicago
07-16-2004, 09:22 PM
Well the way he's pitching against the Sox so far, he's not going anywhere.

LipOne of them has to go. Mulder and Hudson aren't going anywhere. Zito's :smokin: "habits" are a real concern for the A's. He's still the most likely candidate.

Win1ForMe
07-16-2004, 09:29 PM
One of them has to go. Mulder and Hudson aren't going anywhere. Zito's :smokin: "habits" are a real concern for the A's. He's still the most likely candidate.
Well, what is Beane looking for in return? Prospects? Accolades? A book deal?

FarWestChicago
07-16-2004, 09:32 PM
Well, what is Beane looking for in return? Prospects? Accolades? A book deal?I imagine whatever he can get. They can't afford to keep all three of them.

leftfieldbleachy
07-16-2004, 09:45 PM
They can afford to keep him through next year though. He's set to make less than $5M next year, with a $7M club option for 2006. MAYBE they'll trade him in the offseason after this year, but I really don't think Oakland wants to trade him before the deadline.

LauraJ14
07-16-2004, 10:17 PM
I don't think that there are many players on the Sox that would fit Beane's idea of OPS except for Frank.

StillMissOzzie
07-16-2004, 10:42 PM
One of them has to go. Mulder and Hudson aren't going anywhere. Zito's :smokin: "habits" are a real concern for the A's. He's still the most likely candidate.
What kind of "habits" are you alluding to, FWC? Zito on the wacky weed?

SMO
:gulp:

FarWestChicago
07-16-2004, 11:02 PM
What kind of "habits" are you alluding to, FWC? Zito on the wacky weed?

SMO
:gulp:That's what the local rumor mill says. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

StillMissOzzie
07-16-2004, 11:19 PM
That's what the local rumor mill says. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Ahhhh, I see. I just now noted your location, which means you really are "FarWest"!

SMO
:gulp:

FarWestChicago
07-16-2004, 11:36 PM
Ahhhh, I see. I just now noted your location, which means you really are "FarWest"!

SMO
:gulp:Yep. http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/cool.gif

Mohoney
07-17-2004, 12:41 AM
I have heard that Oakland may try to trade Barry Zito. If Oakland makes Zito available the Sox should try to make a deal. I realize his numbers are not that great this season, but they are better than Schoeneweis or anybody else who we can plug into the fifth spot. A rotation of Garcia, Buehrle, Garland, Loaiza, and Zito would be pretty darn good. Zito is signed through next season with an option for the 2006 season I believe. He is also relatively cheap, making only 3 million this season. Also, Zito is only 26 only a year older than Rauch but much more prov-en, and has postseason experience. Any thoughts? :D:

Oakland wants way too much in terms of a return. We can't give away anything on the Major League roster right now, and Oakland simply won't budge on their demands.

Basebalalldatime
07-24-2004, 12:25 PM
If the A's put Zito on the trading block. We should try and get him, we need a little more pitching. His number aren't great , but they're not horrible. Look at Freddy's numbers his weren't to good either. We turned him around. Zito is a great pitcher. He most likely has the nastiest hook in baseball. If he's out there, I hope Kenny takes a look at him.:cool:

:supernana: :bandance: :supernana: :dtroll: :supernana: :bandance: :supernana: