PDA

View Full Version : **Definitive** WSI Randy Johnson Poll

nasox
07-15-2004, 02:29 PM
Yes or No?

Erik The Red
07-15-2004, 02:32 PM
I think you meant "trade", not "poll" for RJ.

nasox
07-15-2004, 02:33 PM
Whoops. My bad. Can a Mod please change that? Thanks.

Rocky Soprano
07-15-2004, 02:33 PM
I say do it, show the world that we are SERIOUS contenders. On the other hand, dont let AZ rip us off in the process.

Baby Fisk
07-15-2004, 02:35 PM
I say do it, show the world that we are SERIOUS contenders. On the other hand, dont let AZ rip us off in the process.Right on, Rocky!

Iwritecode
07-15-2004, 02:43 PM

Yes, I think KW should definetly poll for RJ.

I'm still undecided about trading for him though... :D:

Erik The Red
07-15-2004, 03:05 PM
Ahh, a fellow programmer. Where do you work in Rockford? We have clients there.

Kadafi311
07-15-2004, 03:11 PM
More importantly... even if KW pulled the trigger, would RJ waive his no-trade to play for us?

rmusacch
07-15-2004, 03:45 PM
More importantly... even if KW pulled the trigger, would RJ waive his no-trade to play for us?
Greenbacks always talk.

Iwritecode
07-15-2004, 03:58 PM
Ahh, a fellow programmer. Where do you work in Rockford? We have clients there.

Nope, about an hour south of Rockford in a little town called Mt. Morris. I'm part of the second-largest magazine fulfillment company in the US.

Just cause I know your next question, I do mostly mainframe (PL/1 and COBOL) programming.

How bout you?

Erik The Red
07-15-2004, 04:10 PM
Gosh, a COBOL programmer! A dying (and thus well-paid) breed. I still have nightmares about compiling COBOL modules and using JCL in college. I'd have no trouble doing it, though, for the kind of money COBOL programmers make.

I work for a small business in Geneva called Intersec Design. We do marketing, packaging design, and web design/e-commerce. I of course work on the web design end.

Kadafi311
07-15-2004, 04:18 PM
Greenbacks always talk.
He's guaranteed those greenbacks no matter where he plays, I don't see how this is relevant.

ode to veeck
07-15-2004, 04:19 PM
**Difinitive** ... kind of an oxymoron spelled that way

PorkChopExpress
07-15-2004, 04:23 PM
I say do it, show the world that we are SERIOUS contenders. On the other hand, dont let AZ rip us off in the process.
I think we're serious contenders right now. This trade would make us serious favorites. Do it Kenny!

patbooyah
07-15-2004, 04:37 PM
frankly, i dont think the guy would mix well with our clubhouse. i've met him and he was kind of a jerk. This story was originally published in the New York Times. For funs sake i link to the etaiwannews.

http://www.etaiwannews.com/Sports/2004/07/15/1089858001.htm

After Johnson checked Lawrence Rocca's press badge and noticed he was from The Star-Ledger of Newark, New Jersey, another reporter teasingly told Johnson to be careful because The Star-Ledger was the newspaper that the mobster Tony Soprano read in "The Sopranos" television show. Rocca told Johnson the paper had a good real estate section if he needed to relocate to New Jersey. "Now I'm not going to go there just because you guys are making a mockery of it," Johnson said, suddenly growing irate. "This is my livelihood."

Johnson told Rocca he was seeing Johnson's "dark side" and ordered him to "walk away." When Rocca did not immediately leave, Johnson told him it would be advisable to leave before Johnson did something he regretted.

He argued with his teammate Luis Gonzalez after a botched fly ball last week and has been mostly testy with reporters who have asked trade questions. "I'm not a nice guy," Johnson said. "I'm a mean guy."

Kadafi311
07-15-2004, 04:40 PM
**Difinitive** ... kind of an oxymoron spelled that way
:rolling:

Mickster
07-15-2004, 04:44 PM
It's **Difinitive** that 33% of the people who took this poll are morons.....

fquaye149
07-15-2004, 04:55 PM
Yes, I think KW should definetly poll for RJ.

I'm still undecided about trading for him though... :D:
don't you mean "difinitely" "poll"?

sorry couldn't resist

nasox
07-15-2004, 05:01 PM
Wow! What was I on when I made this poll.....:redface: :cower:

Basten
07-15-2004, 05:08 PM
It's **Difinitive** that 33% of the people who took this poll are morons.....
I am glad someone said it.

Kadafi311
07-15-2004, 05:34 PM
He argued with his teammate Luis Gonzalez after a botched fly ball last week and has been mostly testy with reporters who have asked trade questions. "I'm not a nice guy," Johnson said. "I'm a mean guy."
Maybe it's just me, but I have a hard time fearing anyone with a mullet, or the previous owner of a mullet for that matter. Regardless of vertical stature.

denev1
07-15-2004, 06:08 PM
Yes or No?
Is this even a question if there are absolutely no consequences associated with getting RJ?

FightingBillini
07-15-2004, 09:26 PM
I cant understand why people dont want this trade made at all costs. If we dont make any changes now, we will go to the playoffs. I dont want to just GO to the playoffs, we have been in the playoffs before. I want to make some noise, and improve our record in National League parks this year. Landing the Big Unit would go a LONG way towards that. My grandpa (r.i.p.) never saw the White Sox win the World Series. I want it this year at all costs. If we win it this year, we will fill the park every game for the next three years even if we have the worst team in baseball. The future is for losers, we have been looking to the future for 87 years. For those of you who still dont want Randy Johnson becuase of our precious prospects, here is an unlikely scenario for you to dream about:

Saturday, July 31, 2004, 9:45 PM - AP Wire
Today the second city's second franchise took a huge step towards winning its first championship since 1917, The White Sox traded RHP Mike Jackson and an autographed Rick White jersey to the Arizona Diamondbacks for LHP Randy Johnson and CF Steve Finley. They then traded RHP Cliff Politte and the rights to Norberto Martin to the Anahiem Angels for RHP Fransisco Rodriquez, RF Vladimir Guerrero, and cash. The team also annonced they will use the cash to replace US Cellular Field's seats with green ones, build a home run porch in right field, and put up bars on the streets surrounding the park.

Until that happens, accept that you have to crack some eggs to make an omelete.

gobears1987
07-15-2004, 09:28 PM
mixed fellings, it would help now. But, he costs too much. $16 million this year and next is too much. We can keep Maggs for that amount.

If he pulled it I would stand behind the Sox and hope it works.

patbooyah
07-15-2004, 09:33 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I have a hard time fearing anyone with a mullet, or the previous owner of a mullet for that matter. Regardless of vertical stature.
are you kidding me? mullets should inspire fear in even daCoach!

Cowch44
07-15-2004, 09:37 PM
I wish JR could raise the payroll just a bit. I mean the Yankees are up to like 180 million and we're still down at 65 million.

gobears1987
07-15-2004, 09:41 PM
I guess I will waffle like John F'ing Kerry here on this deal.

34rancher
07-15-2004, 09:41 PM

Yeah, but a 95 MPH slider between the ears has a way of doing wonders..........

gobears1987
07-15-2004, 09:46 PM
I would like it, but we need batting more than pitching right now, especially with Frank gone for an indefinate amount of time. I would be more in favor of a Beltran or Everett move. I would agree to a deal for a middle reliever, but we don't need another starter right now. It would help but isn't a critical need as replacing Frank is.

I would not complain if this deal occurs, but I think we should do other trades 1st. It is possible we can do more than 1 deal here.

idseer
07-15-2004, 09:48 PM
i don't go for him. too much to give up for an undependable old man. we'd almost certainly lose magglio. and give up more prospects in return. we'd be losing too much of this teams future and as much as i'd like to win now, i will still be a sox fan for years to come and i don't want to see us mortgage our future for a one shot deal.

Basten
07-16-2004, 02:24 AM
I cant understand why people dont want this trade made at all costs. If we dont make any changes now, we will go to the playoffs. I dont want to just GO to the playoffs, we have been in the playoffs before. I want to make some noise, and improve our record in National League parks this year. Landing the Big Unit would go a LONG way towards that. My grandpa (r.i.p.) never saw the White Sox win the World Series. I want it this year at all costs. If we win it this year, we will fill the park every game for the next three years even if we have the worst team in baseball. The future is for losers, we have been looking to the future for 87 years. For those of you who still dont want Randy Johnson becuase of our precious prospects, here is an unlikely scenario for you to dream about:

Saturday, July 31, 2004, 9:45 PM - AP Wire
Today the second city's second franchise took a huge step towards winning its first championship since 1917, The White Sox traded RHP Mike Jackson and an autographed Rick White jersey to the Arizona Diamondbacks for LHP Randy Johnson and CF Steve Finley. They then traded RHP Cliff Politte and the rights to Norberto Martin to the Anahiem Angels for RHP Fransisco Rodriquez, RF Vladimir Guerrero, and cash. The team also annonced they will use the cash to replace US Cellular Field's seats with green ones, build a home run porch in right field, and put up bars on the streets surrounding the park.

Until that happens, accept that you have to crack some eggs to make an omelete.Yeah, no kidding.

At worst, Sox lose in the first round. 2 home games + all the additional revenue pulled in the regular season as the fanbase has responded to JR's efforts.....it all makes for an increased payroll in 2005.

Ok, so Carlos Lee/Paul Konerko and Esteban/Jose have to leave in order to make room for Maggs and Unit next year. Big friggin' deal, you can get a LF/1B for half what they're making these days -- David Ortiz was making 3 Mill last year and 4 this year for instance. Sox will STILL be going for it in 2005, obviously, so I don't want to hear this "it's all or nothing this year" crap.

Best case scenario, Sox make the World Series, or maybe even, dare I say it, win it all.....and EVERYTHING changes in a blink of an eye. Everything.

Aidan
07-16-2004, 02:28 AM
It's all over folks...
Yankees | Team Officially in the Hunt for Randy Johnson - from www.KFFL.com
Thu, 15 Jul 2004 19:36:35 -0700
Updating previous items, Ben Walker, of the Associated Press, reports the New York Yankees have officially told Arizona Diamondbacks general manager Joe Garagiola Jr. they are interested in dealing for Arizona SP Randy Johnson.

Basten
07-16-2004, 02:30 AM
It's all over folks...No, it's not.

Make a much better offer than the Yankees and Unit is yours.

Garland didn't help our cause though by being his mediocre self again tonight. :mad:

Aidan
07-16-2004, 02:43 AM
No, it's not.

Make a much better offer than the Yankees and Unit is yours.

Garland didn't help our cause though by being his mediocre self again tonight. :mad:Getting the Unit isn't going to help our offensive slump any. Get the Big Unit AND Steve Finley! That would be a deal that would solve both problems...

Rotation:
Randy Johnson
Freddy Garcia
Mark Buerhle
Jon Garland
Esteban Loaiza

Lineup:
2B Juan Uribe
CF Steve Finley
RF Magglio Ordonez
LF Carlos Lee
1B Paul Konerko
DH Aaron Rowand
SS Jose Valentin
3B Joe Crede
C Sandy Alomar Jr.

Basten
07-16-2004, 03:04 AM
Getting the Unit isn't going to help our offensive slump any. Get the Big Unit AND Steve Finley! That would be a deal that would solve both problems...
Sure it will - it takes pressure off of the offense and puts it right on the opposing pitcher. Our offense will come around as they did last year in Aguust and September.

I am not averse to getting Finley, but if JR somehow swallow Unit's 5 Mill this year, I can't see him adding another 3+ for Finley.

Let's face, we have to gut it out with Harris/Rowand in CF. Last 2 at bats by Willie today were gold - that's how a lead-off man has to approach a tough RHP the likes of which we'll be seeing in postseason. Rowand can mash LHP, we know that.

ClaudelSleptHere
07-16-2004, 03:16 AM
As much as I'd love to see him in our rotation, I just don't think he fixes the more serious holes in the batting order, unless we let him hit for himself.

Aidan
07-16-2004, 03:37 AM
As much as I'd love to see him in our rotation, I just don't think he fixes the more serious holes in the batting order, unless we let him hit for himself.The main holes in our lineup are the #1 and the #9 spot. We need either Willie or Timo to step up and start hitting consistently in the leadoff spot. Willie would be ideal with all his speed but he's got to get on base first and then actually TRY to steal. The catcher spot may have to be addressed via a trade. Sandy is old and can't play everyday, Burke is a AAA catcher, and watching Ben Davis swing the bat makes me sick. I would be happy with Greg Zaun. Jeez, I can't believe we are all drooling over Greg Zaun.

AnkleSox
07-16-2004, 04:48 AM
I really think Johnson would be clubhouse cancer.

Iwritecode
07-16-2004, 11:03 AM
Gosh, a COBOL programmer! A dying (and thus well-paid) breed. I still have nightmares about compiling COBOL modules and using JCL in college. I'd have no trouble doing it, though, for the kind of money COBOL programmers make.

I wish... You obviously don't know the demand for programmers around here. There isn't one!

It's bad enough that I have to travel an hour south of Rockford as it is. Basically it's either this, or move to Chicago and learn web programming...

Erik The Red
07-16-2004, 11:21 AM
Ouch. I remember all the COBOL jobs I was looking at when I was still in college, and they were always the highest-paying. Times change, I guess.

If you want to learn web programming, a good place to start is http://www.w3schools.com. Lotsa tutorials there. You can get free webspace to mess around with ASP at http://www.brinkster.com. Wrox Press puts out excellent books to teach yourself from, you can probably get them used on eBay pretty cheap. Also, the boards over at Ars Technica (http://episteme.arstechnica.com/6/ubb.x) are really informative, people there know their stuff.

Aidan
07-16-2004, 11:56 AM
Ack! I took COBOL at DePaul University. What a boring language.