PDA

View Full Version : Big Frank should have surgery NOW

mdep524
07-15-2004, 12:37 PM
I love Frank and want to see him in the Sox line up as much as possible, but I am getting very worried that we are not going to see him at all again in '04 because of the way he and the Sox are handling his foot injury. To get him to produce like Frank, he needs to get surgery, and he needs to get it NOW.

It is a bit naive to think that a mere three weeks rest is going to a.) make all the pain in his foot go away for the rest of the season, and b.) make all the "junk" that's been collecting in there magically disappear. I feel like all parties are just looking for the quick fix with this strategy, and it could backfire on them big time.

So realistically we'd be looking at a situation in which Frank comes back after three weeks, realizes he can't give 100% effort, and then opts for surgery which would likely end his season.

Frank's a tough guy, but he doesn't play that well through pain, especially on his plant foot. There's no question the Sox would suffer without Frank in the line up for all of August, but wouldn't you rather have him around in late September and October, playing at 100%, than still tentative and pained?

That's why I think it is imperative that Frank get his surgery NOW NOW NOW. If he waits three weeks, his season could be over. If he gets it done now, he could come back to make an impact at the end of the year.

Tekijawa
07-15-2004, 01:23 PM
It is a bit naive to think that a mere three weeks rest is going to a.) make all the pain in his foot go away for the rest of the season, and b.) make all the "junk" that's been collecting in there magically disappear. I feel like all parties are just looking for the quick fix with this strategy, and it could backfire on them big time.
Because if he has Surgery then he's out for the rest of the year... waiting 3 weeks, now closer to 2 weeks, to see if it feels any better is the way to go, at least he has a shot of coming back then!

Randar68
07-15-2004, 01:24 PM
I love Frank and want to see him in the Sox line up as much as possible, but I am getting very worried that we are not going to see him at all again in '04 because of the way he and the Sox are handling his foot injury. To get him to produce like Frank, he needs to get surgery, and he needs to get it NOW.

So realistically we'd be looking at a situation in which Frank comes back after three weeks, realizes he can't give 100% effort, and then opts for surgery which would likely end his season.

Frank's a tough guy, but he doesn't play that well through pain, especially on his plant foot. There's no question the Sox would suffer without Frank in the line up for all of August, but wouldn't you rather have him around in late September and October, playing at 100%, than still tentative and pained?

That's why I think it is imperative that Frank get his surgery NOW NOW NOW. If he waits three weeks, his season could be over. If he gets it done now, he could come back to make an impact at the end of the year.
If he has surgery today, his season is still going to be OVER. What difference does it make?

mantis1212
07-15-2004, 01:28 PM
If he has surgery today, his season is still going to be OVER. What difference does it make?
I heard the surgery would have kept him out for 6-8 weeks. That means he could be back for September, and maybe October

nlentz88
07-15-2004, 01:38 PM
If Frank were to have surgery now, there's no telling whether or not he'd be able to rejoin the team later in the season (post-season?). Even if he did return later, it might take awhile for him to return to form.

However, if Frank were to have surgery now it would make Kenny Williams' job so much easier. As it is, KW will not know if he needs to find a replacement for Frank's bat until after big Frank returns from the DL, and that won't be until only a few days remain before the trade deadline. If KW knew today that Frank was going to miss most of the rest of his season while recovering from surgery, then our tireless GM could go out and make a deal for a big bat (hopefully a lefty) for the lineup.

Just my $0.02.

Randar68
07-15-2004, 01:40 PM
I heard the surgery would have kept him out for 6-8 weeks. That means he could be back for September, and maybe October
He's 270 pounds with a foot problem that may require surgery. Do you believe 6-8 weeks? I don't.

Mickster
07-15-2004, 01:40 PM
If Frank were to have surgery now, there's no telling whether or not he'd be able to rejoin the team later in the season (post-season?). Even if he did return later, it might take awhile for him to return to form.

However, if Frank were to have surgery now it would make Kenny Williams' job so much easier. As it is, KW will not know if he needs to find a replacement for Frank's bat until after big Frank returns from the DL, and that won't be until only a few days remain before the trade deadline. If KW knew today that Frank was going to miss most of the rest of his season while recovering from surgery, then our tireless GM could go out and make a deal for a big bat (hopefully a lefty) for the lineup.

Just my $0.02.
KW is stupid, but he's no idiot. I'm sure that he already has it in his plans....

duke of dorwood
07-15-2004, 01:55 PM
I wouldnt want ANY surgery unless it was necessary.

duke of dorwood
07-15-2004, 01:57 PM
And we ARE screwed without him in the line-up-recall Wrigley Field?

mdep524
07-15-2004, 01:57 PM
I heard the surgery would have kept him out for 6-8 weeks. That means he could be back for September, and maybe OctoberThat was my understanding too.

After observing Frank's other injuries over the years- foot, triceps- he does not usually come back and play well with the nagging pain. I just don't see him coming back in 3 weeks and playing like Frank. It's just not the way he operates. So IMO if he gets surgery now there's some chance he can come back and play in late September/October, but if he doesn't he's done for the season.

joeynach
07-15-2004, 02:52 PM

What i heard is they are not sure exactly what the injury is. It stems from the bone spur problem, but thius could just be a case of a tendonitis from the spurs. Thus just taking two weeks off of it might take the pain away so he can continue at least until the offseason. If its not just a flare up of tendenitis then the spurs need to be removed surgically and good bye Frank. However, the only way to find out is for him to rest it for 2 weeks and see how it reacts.

beckett21
07-15-2004, 03:13 PM
He's 270 pounds with a foot problem that may require surgery. Do you believe 6-8 weeks? I don't.Exactly right Randar. This is part of the problem.

I have made multiple posts on this in the past week, see the other threads. I don't have time right now to rehash the subject. Here is one of them:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36751&page=3

IMO the Sox are doing the right thing here. Surgery now or two weeks from now will really make no difference. Once you cut on him, however, there is no turning back. My guess is that he is done if he has surgery now or in 2 or 3 weeks. The ONLY hope is that they can keep him comfortable enough to be productive for the rest of the season.

Take my professional opinion FWIW, I'm speculating based upon the sparse facts I have seen. But I see nothing gained by doing this immediately. If he has surgery, just assume he is done for 2004. No matter if they do it today or in 2 weeks.

jeremyb1
07-15-2004, 03:44 PM
Exactly right Randar. This is part of the problem.

I have made multiple posts on this in the past week, see the other threads. I don't have time right now to rehash the subject. Here is one of them:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36751&page=3

IMO the Sox are doing the right thing here. Surgery now or two weeks from now will really make no difference. Once you cut on him, however, there is no turning back. My guess is that he is done if he has surgery now or in 2 or 3 weeks. The ONLY hope is that they can keep him comfortable enough to be productive for the rest of the season.

Take my professional opinion FWIW, I'm speculating based upon the sparse facts I have seen. But I see nothing gained by doing this immediately. If he has surgery, just assume he is done for 2004. No matter if they do it today or in 2 weeks.

I was going to say something along the lines of "come on let's leave this to the doctors" but then I read your profile. Hehe. Point taken.

Brian26
07-15-2004, 03:53 PM
I was going to say something along the lines of "come on let's leave this to the doctors" but then I read your profile. Hehe. Point taken.

Hehe, same here. I guess Beckett is the real deal :D:

beckett21
07-15-2004, 05:38 PM
Hehe, same here. I guess Beckett is the real deal :D:Believe me, I COULDN'T make up a profile like that! Who would honestly believe it?? :D:

I'm not saying my point is any more valid than anyone else's. It is certainly a hot-button topic worthy of debate.

That said, I do have real life experience as a treating physician for these types of conditions. But none of my patients make $6 million dollars a year (or something like that) or DH for a major league baseball team, at least that I know of. :redneck

Not being intimately involved in this case, my educated opinion is that they are taking the proper course of action to this point. No guarantee either way with surgery; the only guarantee would be that he would miss at least two months, probably, if not the season. Bracing can be remarkably effective, hopefully effective enough to prolong the surgery until the offseason. No guarantee though, but it seems to be the best and possibly only hope to salvaging the big guy's season.

They will have a better idea in the next week or two. My guess is that we will have a decision before the trade deadline so that KW can act appropriately if necessary. Patience, folks. Two weeks give or take is not going to be a make or break here.

Don't let my *presence* dampen any discussion however; people should continue to express their opinions. Wanting the surgery immediately is a valid thought. I would be willing to guarantee that this was discussed. Surgery can always be unpredictable though, so at any point in time it could be season-ending. I think they just want to be absolutely positively sure that there is no alternative.

Glad I'm not making that call. :)