PDA

View Full Version : Mid-Season Attendance Comparisons

Baby Fisk
07-15-2004, 11:37 AM
Sorry if this was already posted -- I looked around but didn't see it anywhere, so here's a comparison of MLB attendance figures compared to this time last year (% change).

Sox attendance is up. Philly and San Diego obviously benefit from that new stadium bounce, while baseball attendance in Canada shows a pathetic decline. Most other clubs' attendance is unsurprising.

AMERICAN LEAGUE

1. New York Yankees: (+ 16 per cent)

2. Anaheim Angels: (+ 14 per cent)

3. Boston Red Sox: (+ 6 per cent)

4. Baltimore Orioles: (+ 14 per cent)

5. Seattle Mariners: (- 8 per cent)

6. Oakland Athletics: (+ 4 per cent)

7. Chicago White Sox: (+ 12 per cent)

8. Minnesota Twins: (- 5 per cent)

9. Cleveland Indians: (- 3 per cent)

10. Kansas City Royals: (+ 7 per cent)

11. Toronto Blue Jays: (-13 per cent)

12. Detroit Tigers: (+ 30 per cent)

13. Tampa Bay Devil Rays: (+ 30 per cent)

NATIONAL LEAGUE

1. Los Angeles Dodgers: (+11 per cent)

2. Philadelphia Phillies: (+ 69 per cent)

3. San Francisco Giants: ( 0 )

4. Chicago Cubs: (+ 11 per cent)

5. Houston Astros: (+ 34 per cent)

6. St. Louis Cardinals: (+ 4 per cent)

7. San Diego Padres: (+ 47 per cent)

8. Arizona Diamondbacks: (- 2 per cent)

9. Colorado Rockies: (+ 5 per cent)

10. Cincinnati Reds: (+ 1 per cent)

11. Atlanta Braves: (+ 2 per cent)

12. New York Mets: (+ 6 per cent)

13. Milwaukee Brewers: (+ 25 per cent)

14. Florida Marlins: (+ 63 per cent)

15. Pittsburgh Pirates: (- 10 per cent)

16. Montreal Expos: (- 25 per cent)

cheeses_h_rice
07-15-2004, 11:44 AM
I wonder why the Royals' attendance has increased this year -- more season tickets, perhaps? Surely it can't be a lot of walkups, can it?

Iwritecode
07-15-2004, 01:07 PM
So is it a good thing or a bad thing that the Sox attendance has increased more percentage-wise compared to the Cubs???

Lip Man 1
07-15-2004, 01:15 PM
Based on what happened last season, I'd bet the Royals sold a lot of off season tickets for this year.

Lip

MisterB
07-15-2004, 01:20 PM
So is it a good thing or a bad thing that the Sox attendance has increased more percentage-wise compared to the Cubs???Consider this: Last year the Flubs got a few outs away from a WS appearance and seemed to improve in the offseason; The Sox fizzled down the stretch and made no blockbuster moves. I'd say the Sox' increase is remarkably good.

Iwritecode
07-15-2004, 01:42 PM
Consider this: Last year the Flubs got a few outs away from a WS appearance and seemed to improve in the offseason; The Sox fizzled down the stretch and made no blockbuster moves. I'd say the Sox' increase is remarkably good.

True, but on the other hand, the Cubs didn't really have a whole lot of room to improve their attendance. Remember, they are the only team in baseball that can draw 2.5 million+ while losing 90+ games. Them winning last year just gives fans more of an excuse to flock to the worlds largest beer garden...

The Sox increase could have been more, but I'm not going to complain. It could have been a decrease as well... Kudos to Ozzie and Kenny for finally giving us something worthwhile to spend our money to go see.

TornLabrum
07-15-2004, 02:17 PM
True, but on the other hand, the Cubs didn't really have a whole lot of room to improve their attendance. Remember, they are the only team in baseball that can draw 2.5 million+ while losing 90+ games. Them winning last year just gives fans more of an excuse to flock to the worlds largest beer garden...

The Sox increase could have been more, but I'm not going to complain. It could have been a decrease as well... Kudos to Ozzie and Kenny for finally giving us something worthwhile to spend our money to go see.
What the Cubs did was increase their pre-season ticket sales in April-May and September, dates when they used to have to discount ticket prices for most weekday games. That's the cause of most of the increase, and I'm willing to bet their percentage increase was higher on May 31 than it is now.

Blob
07-15-2004, 02:24 PM
Based on what happened last season, I'd bet the Royals sold a lot of off season tickets for this year.

LipYou are probably right. Zach23 and I ran into a few KC fans during that first series here and they were pretty giddy about their team.:redneck

Boy, I would love to run into those guys again now!!