PDA

View Full Version : Silvy and Carmen

South Side
07-14-2004, 11:15 PM
Did anyone happen to hear Brooks Boyer tonight? If so, what did he say? Thanks.

OzzieBall2004
07-14-2004, 11:43 PM
I caught all of it except the Q and A with callers. He spoke on a few general things, how the Us vs Them campaign came about. From what I remember, they actually did market research at the games with various fans and even a few Flubs fans. He laso talked about the transition from marketing the Bulls to marketing the White Sox. He also talked about Shingo and how he has a "million dollar smile" and how the gong intro came about.

He really seems like a stand up guy, and as a recent marketing grad from Marquette, he's got the number one job in the city in my eyes.

milrtyme28
07-15-2004, 12:25 AM
boyer brought up an issue that i really hadnt thought of up until this point. a caller called in to ask if the tues night 1/2 price nights could just be 1/2 price nights without everyone bringing pepsi proof of purchase, etc. for next season.

i had expected him to say that the sox have some sort of marketing agreement with pepsi and this cant be avoided but actually he introduced some doubt over weather or not this will be in place for next season at all. He made a lot of sense while doing so. boyer basically said that they are having difficulty deciding if the half price nights are fair to season ticket holders who have already paid full price for their tickets and now have a walk up ticket purchaser sitting next to them that paid half price for the same seat they paid full price for.

I had never considered this aspect before but while I go to 10-15 games every season I do not have season tickets because I would have to sell 75% of them in order to make it worthwile. I work too much. That said, I would probably be a little teed too if everyone around me made a one day comittment to the team and got to see the game for half of the price I paid for 81 games. ( especially if I had to eat the cost of a few games i couldnt go to and didnt sell)

so, i guess that while the extra attendence on these nights is helpful, it sucks that anyone that has season tickets paid full price anyway - with or without a pepsi can :(:

milrtyme28
07-15-2004, 12:28 AM
so, boyer is stuck with a balancing act of attracting new fans without alienating the fans that have been there through thick and thin - not an enviable position.

WhiteSoxFan84
07-15-2004, 12:34 AM
Sox marketing has been superb so far. I think ladies night would be the next big thing, on Tuesday nights to replace half-price pepsi nights. Ladies get in for 25% of ticket value and hey, you know us guys will pay full price to see twice as many ladies.

lol too desperate? eh, we won't need much marketing to attract fans after we win the world...... eh i won't say it....

milrtyme28
07-15-2004, 12:34 AM
outside of that discussion, I am happy that they have chosen someone who really seems to understand the fan base and what he is up against. anyone who characterizes the cubs as the "800lb gorilla" in this city at least has a feel for the position of the sox, and he is right about how the average sox fan feels as far as i am concerned - *u** the cubs - sox pride!!! show your colors and be proud of it!:) :) :) :) :) :)

soxtalker
07-15-2004, 06:54 AM
lol too desperate? eh, we won't need much marketing to attract fans after we win the world...... eh i won't say it....
We may need a great deal of marketing. This team is looking old and will be getting more so if any of the trades that are rumored come through. If we win the WS, it will help attendance for only a short time. It will take continued winning to keep the attendance up. Die-hard Sox fans -- members of WSI, for example -- will probably keep attending games. But the more casual fan will attend only if there is the promise of winning in the near future.

steff
07-15-2004, 07:58 AM
boyer brought up an issue that i really hadnt thought of up until this point. a caller called in to ask if the tues night 1/2 price nights could just be 1/2 price nights without everyone bringing pepsi proof of purchase, etc. for next season.

i had expected him to say that the sox have some sort of marketing agreement with pepsi and this cant be avoided but actually he introduced some doubt over weather or not this will be in place for next season at all. He made a lot of sense while doing so. boyer basically said that they are having difficulty deciding if the half price nights are fair to season ticket holders who have already paid full price for their tickets and now have a walk up ticket purchaser sitting next to them that paid half price for the same seat they paid full price for.

I had never considered this aspect before but while I go to 10-15 games every season I do not have season tickets because I would have to sell 75% of them in order to make it worthwile. I work too much. That said, I would probably be a little teed too if everyone around me made a one day comittment to the team and got to see the game for half of the price I paid for 81 games. ( especially if I had to eat the cost of a few games i couldnt go to and didnt sell)

so, i guess that while the extra attendence on these nights is helpful, it sucks that anyone that has season tickets paid full price anyway - with or without a pepsi can :(:

As a season ticket holder we get discounted tickets which even out the cost over the year. The issue lies wth the troubles surrounding Tuesday nights, IMO. If people could behave themselves this would be a great promotion.

elrod
07-15-2004, 08:16 AM
No reason to ditch the Pepsi promos. Just keep the beer sale cutoff in effect and the discipline problems will go away.

joeynach
07-15-2004, 08:51 AM
No reason to ditch the Pepsi promos. Just keep the beer sale cutoff in effect and the discipline problems will go away.
Agreed, and basically after the month of may where all the college kids came home looking for something to do and a place to drink its has settled down now. I have beent o every half price game tuesday this year. The month of may was bad, but since then its fine. Even though im a college kid i saw all them on tuesdays in may would come to the park to drink and make a frat party in the outfield, wrigley esk and very annoying. Since June its back to normal, i think now that the kids k-12, are out of school our nomal fanbase is taking advanatage of the discount. I see a lot more kids and parents, families, youngsters and such out there now. And i guess the beer sale policy helped out too, it kept the i just wanna go and drink crowd away (or back to wrigley for there $70 tickets)

skottyj242
07-15-2004, 02:45 PM
As a season ticket holder we get discounted tickets which even out the cost over the year. The issue lies wth the troubles surrounding Tuesday nights, IMO. If people could behave themselves this would be a great promotion.
What discount do you get that evens out the year? If we were going to get half price Tuesdays and Mondays it would be more than even. Are you nuts? I want to know how you save so much money, I save two bucks a ticket which amounts to 162 bucks a season. If I get half price Mondays and Tuesdays we would still probably get a buck off.

ode to veeck
07-15-2004, 02:57 PM
Steff wrote: The issue lies wth the troubles surrounding Tuesday nights, IMO. If people could behave themselves this would be a great promotion.
Ladies night replacing 1/2 price Tuesdays might be the bet for reducing trouble, as long as we don't get soroities full of north side flubbie fans descending on the Cell looking to kick some A

HomeFish
07-16-2004, 04:26 PM
When asked about the Shingotime music, Boyer said that, apparently, the music that Shingo walks out to and that is played during the Shingo highlight reel is not only the music that Shingo walked out to in Japan, but also the music that Shingo's favorite Japanese wrestler walked out to; I assume Shingo picked the music as a tribute to the wrestler when he was closing in Japan.

Personally, I think that's kind of cool.

mantis1212
07-16-2004, 04:41 PM
When asked about the Shingotime music, Boyer said that, apparently, the music that Shingo walks out to and that is played during the Shingo highlight reel is not only the music that Shingo walked out to in Japan, but also the music that Shingo's favorite Japanese wrestler walked out to; I assume Shingo picked the music as a tribute to the wrestler when he was closing in Japan.

Personally, I think that's kind of cool.
I admit I am one of the people that thought the gong thing could be a little questionable, but if this is the case, that's great.

steff
07-16-2004, 05:04 PM
What discount do you get that evens out the year? If we were going to get half price Tuesdays and Mondays it would be more than even. Are you nuts? I want to know how you save so much money, I save two bucks a ticket which amounts to 162 bucks a season. If I get half price Mondays and Tuesdays we would still probably get a buck off.We have full season tickets in premium lower box seats. Those are $43. We pay $29 for weekday and $33 for weekend.

steff
07-16-2004, 05:06 PM
Ladies night replacing 1/2 price Tuesdays might be the bet for reducing trouble, as long as we don't get soroities full of north side flubbie fans descending on the Cell looking to kick some A

I'll go no matter what.

ewokpelts
07-17-2004, 01:33 AM
What discount do you get that evens out the year? If we were going to get half price Tuesdays and Mondays it would be more than even. Are you nuts? I want to know how you save so much money, I save two bucks a ticket which amounts to 162 bucks a season. If I get half price Mondays and Tuesdays we would still probably get a buck off.
If you do a pound for pound comparison of each box office advance ticket cost vs season tix....there is an edge to st holders about cost...that is, if you only count the half price mondays...if you add the half off tuesday tix(walk up day of game)...then you get screwed.

However, you aklso get certain benefits as a st holder. I've gotten to go to the asg, had 03 playoff tix w/o begging a scalper, and i get to sit in the same seat in my weekend package. If you're really concerned about cost, i suggest buying the granton package and sitting in the ud...but you probably dont like the ud.
Gene

nasox
07-17-2004, 12:22 PM
If you do a pound for pound comparison of each box office advance ticket cost vs season tix....there is an edge to st holders about cost...that is, if you only count the half price mondays...if you add the half off tuesday tix(walk up day of game)...then you get screwed.

However, you aklso get certain benefits as a st holder. I've gotten to go to the asg, had 03 playoff tix w/o begging a scalper, and i get to sit in the same seat in my weekend package. If you're really concerned about cost, i suggest buying the granton package and sitting in the ud...but you probably dont like the ud.
Gene
UD would have been the way to go for me but the no access to other levels really is a buzzkill. I mean, if I go to the game when the gates open really early and want to just walk around the park, I want to go to the main concourse.

steff
07-17-2004, 12:29 PM
UD would have been the way to go for me but the no access to other levels really is a buzzkill. I mean, if I go to the game when the gates open really early and want to just walk around the park, I want to go to the main concourse.

Season ticket holders in the UD have access to the LD. It's just single game folks that don't.

ewokpelts
07-17-2004, 12:57 PM
thanks dybas and ligue

nasox
07-17-2004, 04:59 PM
Season ticket holders in the UD have access to the LD. It's just single game folks that don't.

thanks moron ticket rep for telling me this. :angry: :angry:

ewokpelts
07-18-2004, 02:56 PM
thanks moron ticket rep for telling me this. :angry: :angry:ask here for a second opinion....and you would have found out sooner.
Gene