PDA

View Full Version : Flub fans' behavior so terrible, Alderman proposes "street court"

cheeses_h_rice
07-14-2004, 07:21 PM
Just saw this on the Ch. 7 news...

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-wrig14.html

Gee, think Jay Moronotti would make hay of this in one of his columns were the idea to be proposed for 35th Street?

:rolleyes:

zach23
07-14-2004, 07:24 PM
"It's like Bourbon Street. People openly tell you, 'I'm gonna have 10 beers. They're getting drunk and throwing up. They pee wherever they can. They're treating our community like a bathroom,"

Holy cow! Sounds like good family fun to me!

DrCrawdad
07-14-2004, 07:57 PM
Not according to Tunney and community leaders. They contend that police officers "don't write enough tickets" or make enough arrests against rowdy Cub fans because they're afraid of being pulled off the street while transporting arrestees to the Belmont District two miles away.

That attitude has allowed the sell-out crowds packing Wrigley for virtually every game -- and thousands more who jam area bars and restaurants -- to run roughshod over the community, the alderman said.

"There's too much leniency about conduct around the stadium. There's this perception that it's a ballpark . . . and people like to party. It's a basic premise of containment -- a concern that if somebody is working on a small violation, that takes them off the street," Tunney said.

Didn't someone recently do a report comparing arrest records from the Cell and the Shrine? Well, to some people the Shrine numbers are too low.

cheeses_h_rice
07-14-2004, 08:19 PM
Didn't someone recently do a report comparing arrest records from the Cell and the Shrine? Well, to some people the Shrine numbers are too low.
But if you ask Mark Suppelsa and "Batboy" Wally Jacobson, the numbers bear out the facts that there are more police incidents on the "premises" of US Cellular Field vs. Wrigley Field. To paraphrase the Batboy, "It's because Sox fans get so angry, because they are always losing." Nah, couldn't possibly have anything to do with those acres of parking lots that are considered to be the "premises" of our ballpark, could it? And I'm sure the Flubs have counted the numbers of all those held beneath the bleachers in cells after imbibing too much during the game and getting too violent.

cheeses_h_rice
07-14-2004, 08:32 PM
And, so far, no story in the Cubune or on Chicagosports.com about this.

Hey, Knue, wouldn't this qualify as a "Cubs-related" story?

*crickets*

Thought so.

:thumbsup:

SoxFan76
07-14-2004, 08:50 PM
That Knue character was cracking me up trying to defend himself and his website. :D:

Cubbiesuck13
07-14-2004, 09:01 PM
That Knue character was cracking me up trying to defend himself and his website. :D:
is there a link to that

Blob
07-15-2004, 12:20 AM
But if you ask Mark Suppelsa and "Batboy" Wally Jacobson, the numbers bear out the facts that there are more police incidents on the "premises" of US Cellular Field vs. Wrigley Field. To paraphrase the Batboy, "It's because Sox fans get so angry, because they are always losing." Nah, couldn't possibly have anything to do with those acres of parking lots that are considered to be the "premises" of our ballpark, could it? And I'm sure the Flubs have counted the numbers of all those held beneath the bleachers in cells after imbibing too much during the game and getting too violent.

Amen! Now it appears there are more incidents...I want a retraction from Fox!:D:

hsnterprize
07-15-2004, 09:31 AM
To Mr. Mark Suppelsa,

Sir, first of all, I'm a news and sports reporter for a local radio station here (90.1 FM, WMBI), so what I'm writing to you is coming from both a professional and personal opinion. I would like to draw your attention to a piece you did on the 9 o'clock news last week that outlined which ballpark, either Wrigley Field or U.S. Cellular Field, was more "dangerous" based on police statistics. According to your report, along with commentary from Lester Munson and Walter Jacobsen, there is more trouble for fans who go to White Sox games at U.S. Cellular Field than for those who go to Cubs games at Wrigley. The oddities of that dissertation is that both Jacobsen and Munson are Cubs fans, and that your report only dealt with "on-premises" incidents.

As far as using Jacobsen and Munson are concerned, my only question about that is did you try to get some viewpoints from White Sox fans who attend games on a regular basis? Also, I noticed that since you only used statistics dealing with "on premises" incidents, you do know that if anything happens in a Sox-owned parking lot blocks away, it's considered an incident on "Sox property" and that will be reported to police. The Cubs only own the property where Wrigley Field is and a small sliver of land outside the walls. You failed to mention anything about "outside the ballpark" incidents, in which the numbers would greatly favor the White Sox. At last I've heard and read, there aren't any reports of incidents of people urinating on the front lawns in Bridgeport, are there?

And now we're learning about 44th Ward Alderman Tom Tunney proposing a bus that would hold and transport "rowdy fans" from Wrigley Field to the police station since, according to reports, there aren't enough police to watch the "rowdy" fans and watch the activity outside the "shrine" at the same time. Do you plan on giving a "definitive" report about that? I and other Sox fans won't hold our breath for it.

Mark, we White Sox fans understand that news is news, but we're sick and tired of all the constant "Cubs good, Sox bad" stories that stem up over and over again. White Sox fans are tired of constantly having to defend our team, our ballpark, the neighborhoods adjacent to the ballpark, and basically "all things Sox" against the increasing "all things Cub" tidal wave. Your story only adds more fuel to the fire of Sox fans who are already tired of people in the press constantly putting down the White Sox, and then wondering why fans don't go to games like those who go to Wrigley Field. I think I have some media clout when I tell you that it's hypocritical for reporters to put out story after story in a negative light about the White Sox, and then ask the Sox fans why they don't go to the ballpark. It's almost like you're telling people "don't go to U.S. Cellular Field...it's too dangerous." On top of that, people living near Wrigley Field are constantly complaining about the massive, and unruly crowds who disturb their neighborhood over and over again. Even simple items like expanding the "Friendly Confines" and adding night games goes under constant scrutiny because residents are afraid of the scum that invade their area and reek havoc in the name of having a good time at the ballpark. Add a random act of violence (i.e., the shooting of a man after a traffic altercation), and you've got a recipe for disaster. It's funny how Cubs fans like to ignore that, isn't it Mr. Suppelsa.

Personally, I think you owe Sox fans an apology, but I won't look forward to it anytime soon. Just do me and other Sox fans a favor...if/when the Sox make the post season this season, try to tell all the people in attendance their ballpark isn't safe enough to watch a ballgame in...that is if you can hear yourself over the crowd noise.

Does that pretty much sum it up?

cheeses_h_rice
07-15-2004, 09:46 AM
It's now been a full day since this story emerged, and it's STILL not up on either chicagotribune.com or chicagosports.com.

I guess stories about Alderman proposing instant street court systems are a dime a dozen. I'm sure the omission has nothing to do with the symbiosis between the Flubs and their owners.

Pathetic.

Rocky Soprano
07-15-2004, 09:53 AM
To Mr. Mark Suppelsa,

Sir, first of all, I'm a news and sports reporter for a local radio station here (90.1 FM, WMBI), so what I'm writing to you is coming from both a professional and personal opinion. I would like to draw your attention to a piece you did on the 9 o'clock news last week that outlined which ballpark, either Wrigley Field or U.S. Cellular Field, was more "dangerous" based on police statistics. According to your report, along with commentary from Lester Munson and Walter Jacobsen, there is more trouble for fans who go to White Sox games at U.S. Cellular Field than for those who go to Cubs games at Wrigley. The oddities of that dissertation is that both Jacobsen and Munson are Cubs fans, and that your report only dealt with "on-premises" incidents.

As far as using Jacobsen and Munson are concerned, my only question about that is did you try to get some viewpoints from White Sox fans who attend games on a regular basis? Also, I noticed that since you only used statistics dealing with "on premises" incidents, you do know that if anything happens in a Sox-owned parking lot blocks away, it's considered an incident on "Sox property" and that will be reported to police. The Cubs only own the property where Wrigley Field is and a small sliver of land outside the walls. You failed to mention anything about "outside the ballpark" incidents, in which the numbers would greatly favor the White Sox. At last I've heard and read, there aren't any reports of incidents of people urinating on the front lawns in Bridgeport, are there?

And now we're learning about 44th Ward Alderman Tom Tunney proposing a bus that would hold and transport "rowdy fans" from Wrigley Field to the police station since, according to reports, there aren't enough police to watch the "rowdy" fans and watch the activity outside the "shrine" at the same time. Do you plan on giving a "definitive" report about that? I and other Sox fans won't hold our breath for it.

Mark, we White Sox fans understand that news is news, but we're sick and tired of all the constant "Cubs good, Sox bad" stories that stem up over and over again. White Sox fans are tired of constantly having to defend our team, our ballpark, the neighborhoods adjacent to the ballpark, and basically "all things Sox" against the increasing "all things Cub" tidal wave. Your story only adds more fuel to the fire of Sox fans who are already tired of people in the press constantly putting down the White Sox, and then wondering why fans don't go to games like those who go to Wrigley Field. I think I have some media clout when I tell you that it's hypocritical for reporters to put out story after story in a negative light about the White Sox, and then ask the Sox fans why they don't go to the ballpark. It's almost like you're telling people "don't go to U.S. Cellular Field...it's too dangerous." On top of that, people living near Wrigley Field are constantly complaining about the massive, and unruly crowds who disturb their neighborhood over and over again. Even simple items like expanding the "Friendly Confines" and adding night games goes under constant scrutiny because residents are afraid of the scum that invade their area and reek havoc in the name of having a good time at the ballpark. Add a random act of violence (i.e., the shooting of a man after a traffic altercation), and you've got a recipe for disaster. It's funny how Cubs fans like to ignore that, isn't it Mr. Suppelsa.

Personally, I think you owe Sox fans an apology, but I won't look forward to it anytime soon. Just do me and other Sox fans a favor...if/when the Sox make the post season this season, try to tell all the people in attendance their ballpark isn't safe enough to watch a ballgame in...that is if you can hear yourself over the crowd noise.

Does that pretty much sum it up?
Wow, this is perfect! Good job. Please let us know if you get a response.

Jerko
07-15-2004, 10:13 AM
What's Walter Jacobson bitching about? Is he afraid he's going to be defendant #1 on the Justice Bus? Drunk bastard; he'll fit right in.

TornLabrum
07-15-2004, 10:28 AM
It's now been a full day since this story emerged, and it's STILL not up on either chicagotribune.com or chicagosports.com.

I guess stories about Alderman proposing instant street court systems are a dime a dozen. I'm sure the omission has nothing to do with the symbiosis between the Flubs and their owners.

Pathetic.

:knue

"How many times do I have to tell you hoodlum...er...people? If it happens outside the gates of the ball park it isn't sports related unless it happens on the south side and the guy has tattoos."

Blob
07-15-2004, 10:41 AM
Nicely done HSN!

illini13
07-15-2004, 01:56 PM
Seppulsa is a Cub fan too. I saw him entering Wrigley a year or two ago wearing a home Cub jersey.:mad:

StillMissOzzie
07-15-2004, 06:25 PM
Quote:
Not according to Tunney and community leaders. They contend that police officers "don't write enough tickets" or make enough arrests against rowdy Cub fans because they're afraid of being pulled off the street while transporting arrestees to the Belmont District two miles away.

That attitude has allowed the sell-out crowds packing Wrigley for virtually every game -- and thousands more who jam area bars and restaurants -- to run roughshod over the community, the alderman said.

"There's too much leniency about conduct around the stadium. There's this perception that it's a ballpark . . . and people like to party. It's a basic premise of containment -- a concern that if somebody is working on a small violation, that takes them off the street," Tunney said.

This is still not enough. I recommend gallows be erected at the corner of Waveland and Sheffield.

SMO

PaleHoseGeorge
07-15-2004, 07:19 PM

Pathetic.

I think we have our newest nominee for the giant snails award.
:cool:

:giantsnails