PDA

View Full Version : Sox Step Up With 1 Million!

BearSox
07-14-2004, 05:26 PM
Anybody else get an e mail titled this from whitesox.com. I so thought we signed Maggs when I saw the title. Unfortunately its about a softball complex.I was thinking mabye they offered him an extra Mil to the previous proposed deal. Anyway heres the real e mail about the softball complex. :whiner:

Sox Step Up With 1 Million!

CHICAGO WHITE SOX COMMIT $1 MILLION TO BASEBALL/SOFTBALL COMPLEX

Will Feature Miracle League, Girls' Softball and High School
Baseball Fields

The Chicago White Sox have committed $1 million to build the Chicago White Sox Ballfield Complex in Mount Greenwood Park on Chicago's southwest side. The complex, a gift to the city of Chicago from Chicago White Sox Charities and Major League Baseball, will feature a brand new Miracle Field for children with disabilities, a girls' softball field, a little league baseball field and a high school baseball field. The Chicago Park District, Chicago Public Schools and the Miracle League of Illinois also are supporting the project.

Randar68
07-14-2004, 05:33 PM
Anybody else get an e mail titled this from whitesox.com. I so thought we signed Maggs when I saw the title. Unfortunately its about a softball complex.I was thinking mabye they offered him an extra Mil to the previous proposed deal. Anyway heres the real e mail about the softball complex. :whiner:

Sox Step Up With 1 Million!

CHICAGO WHITE SOX COMMIT $1 MILLION TO BASEBALL/SOFTBALL COMPLEX

Will Feature Miracle League, Girls' Softball and High School
Baseball Fields

The Chicago White Sox have committed $1 million to build the Chicago White Sox Ballfield Complex in Mount Greenwood Park on Chicago's southwest side. The complex, a gift to the city of Chicago from Chicago White Sox Charities and Major League Baseball, will feature a brand new Miracle Field for children with disabilities, a girls' softball field, a little league baseball field and a high school baseball field. The Chicago Park District, Chicago Public Schools and the Miracle League of Illinois also are supporting the project.

I got the e-mail. I doubt it will be mentioned by any media outlet though. Good will on the part of the Sox and White Sox Charities. Good to see.

Dadawg_77
07-14-2004, 05:36 PM
I got it too, I wonder if it will be a mini Comiskey like the park the Cubs built over that New City YMCA which is a mini Wrigley. On a side note I have always thought it would very cool to build a Mini Old Comiskey on the former site of the park.

BearSox
07-14-2004, 05:46 PM
The "breaking news" tag on the e mail title was what really got me excited, because usually thats for deals like when we traded for garcia or acquired colon. Wasn't expecting a comunity relations story but yes I do give my props to the sox for it. Just stop being so dramatic with your e mails unless it's that dramatic!!!

OEO Magglio
07-14-2004, 05:53 PM
The "breaking news" tag on the e mail title was what really got me excited, because usually thats for deals like when we traded for garcia or acquired colon. Wasn't expecting a comunity relations story but yes I do give my props to the sox for it. Just stop being so dramatic with your e mails unless it's that dramatic!!!Yup, the breaking news got me too. But it is nice to see the sox do something like this.

Paulwny
07-14-2004, 06:25 PM
MLB and it's teams are committed to bringing back baseball to city kids.

From Newsday/ AP Wire
Ten percent of major league players in 2001-02 were black, down from 17 percent in 1989, according to the 2003 Racial and Gender Report Card from the Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sport, well below the peak figure of 24 percent about 25 years ago.

For this reason, Major League Baseball and its teams have poured millions of dollars into programs like Rookie League; a $3 million Youth Baseball Academy under construction in Compton, Calif.; and Reviving Baseball in Inner Cities (RBI), the league's flagship urban baseball program.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/wire/sns-ap-bbo-urban-baseball,0,5035203.story?coll=sns-ap-baseball-headlines

doublem23
07-14-2004, 09:08 PM
On a side note I have always thought it would very cool to build a Mini Old Comiskey on the former site of the park.
:reinsy
And lose all that parking revenue?

npdempse
07-14-2004, 10:31 PM
MLB and it's teams are committed to bringing back baseball to city kids.

From Newsday/ AP Wire
Ten percent of major league players in 2001-02 were black, down from 17 percent in 1989, according to the 2003 Racial and Gender Report Card from the Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sport, well below the peak figure of 24 percent about 25 years ago.

For this reason, Major League Baseball and its teams have poured millions of dollars into programs like Rookie League; a $3 million Youth Baseball Academy under construction in Compton, Calif.; and Reviving Baseball in Inner Cities (RBI), the league's flagship urban baseball program.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've never really thought of Mt. Greenwood as "inner city"--isn't it a predominately white part of town? Or am I shading it into Beverly/Morgan Park too much?

Blob
07-14-2004, 11:01 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've never really thought of Mt. Greenwood as "inner city"--isn't it a predominately white part of town? Or am I shading it into Beverly/Morgan Park too much?
It is still considered part of the city. Even though it is sandwiched between suburbs. Never understood that one. A lot of cops and firemen men there though.

mjmcend
07-15-2004, 01:35 AM

It is a predominately white part of town. In fact it is even more homogoneous than Beverly/Morgan Park. But it is a great park that has the land necessary to do this. Plus it hosts one of the area's premier youth traveling teams, the Brewers.

SSN721
07-15-2004, 06:45 AM
Regardless of the neighborhood, still nice to see the Sox do something like this. Not only helps kids get into playing baseball, but maybe after discovering how much they like it they might want to go to more MLB games of the team that built them the field that gave them that opportunity to enjoy the game.

harwar
07-15-2004, 08:26 AM
I also got excited about the email and was sure it was a huge trade,but when i read it i wasn't really let down because for years i've been driving by baseball fields that are dormant.
Kids have been lead to believe that baseball is boring by the tv media circus but when you get them out there and teach them a few things and let them play they invariably love it.
I don't know about anyone else but i grew up in the city just a stones throw from old Comiskey Park and without playing baseball i don't know that my whole life would have been a sad story instead of a happy one.
Congratulations to the Chicago White Sox for a job well done and moving in the right direction.

The Critic
07-15-2004, 10:49 AM
I don't know about anyone else but i grew up in the city just a stones throw from old Comiskey Park and without playing baseball i don't know that my whole life would have been a sad story instead of a happy one.
Baseball.....the "anti-drug"....
:D:

jshanahanjr
07-15-2004, 11:42 AM
I live in Mt. Greenwood, and bet that it's the Sox biggest market in the city next to Bridgeport. The people there go to the games and support the team, so it's a smart move.