PDA

View Full Version : Jimy Williams: He Gawn!

Baby Fisk
07-14-2004, 11:27 AM
Not a moment too soon. From the Astros' website:

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/hou/news/hou_news.jsp?ymd=20040714&content_id=800048&vkey=news_hou&fext=.jsp

Irishsox1
07-14-2004, 11:32 AM
Jimy Williams sucked with Boston and I knew he would suck with the Astros. The Astro's should have never got rid of Larry Dierker. In five years with the Astros, Dierker won the division 4 times. Houston screwed themselves.

Jerko
07-14-2004, 11:35 AM
NO! Really? The manager of an underacheiving team who just happend to be a coach in the all star game because his team's city was hosting it got fired BEFORE the season ended?? I thought that was against the rules!

cheeses_h_rice
07-14-2004, 11:39 AM
:jerry

I'll have to call ol' Jimy up to grab a beer sometime...we have much in common.

Risk
07-14-2004, 11:41 AM
Not a moment too soon. From the Astros' website:

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/hou/news/hou_news.jsp?ymd=20040714&content_id=800048&vkey=news_hou&fext=.jsp
But according to that source, Phil Garner is his interim replacement. Now, Houston would be really dumb if they kept him on a permanent basis. Phil Frickin Garner. Pathetic

Risk

Baby Fisk
07-14-2004, 11:44 AM
But according to that source, Phil Garner is his interim replacement. Now, Houston would be really dumb if they kept him on a permanent basis. Phil Frickin Garner. Pathetic
RiskI mean, seriously! Phil Freakin Garner is right! Does this damn organization want to win or not?! I guess Drayton is satisfied sitting beside George & Barbara Bush in MM Park and being able to force Hank Aaron to throw him a pitch. Twice. What a moron. :mad:

Jerko
07-14-2004, 11:48 AM
What a haven for jagbag managers the NL Central has become. I can see a battle Royale with LaRussa, toothpick face, and Garner.

JB98
07-14-2004, 12:04 PM
What a haven for jagbag managers the NL Central has become. I can see a battle Royale with LaRussa, toothpick face, and Garner.
LaRussa, Garner, Baker, McClendon, I'd say that division is full of jagbags. Yost and Miley are the only two sane ones. I'm glad Williams is gone. I called for his removal after the Astros got swept four straight at home by the Cubs last month. The writing was on the wall at that point, but apparently Houston wanted to play another month of lethargic baseball and really dig itself a hole. As much as I hate Garner, I hope he lights a fire under that team. They can still win the wild card and knock the Cubs out of the playoffs.

LuvSox
07-14-2004, 12:16 PM

Risk
Outside of Bevington, I can't think of a worse baseball man to pick than Garner. I suppose he'll bring his buddy Mansolino with him. Yikes.

samram
07-14-2004, 12:16 PM

Risk
Well, he is a former Astro, so I guess he kind of makes sense. On the other hand, he is a hot-headed guy now being asked to manage a veteran team. It could get bad as I think he will be terrible for their clubhouse chemistry.

Blob
07-14-2004, 12:20 PM
I'd pay to see that one!

Tekijawa
07-14-2004, 12:26 PM
NO! Really? The manager of an underacheiving team who just happend to be a coach in the all star game because his team's city was hosting it got fired BEFORE the season ended?? I thought that was against the rules!
The Houston Fans Boo'ed him too (they could have been Saying Boo-earns I guess) but I haven't heard any one say anything about this yet? We're still getting ripped a year later!

Flight #24
07-14-2004, 01:01 PM
The Houston Fans Boo'ed him too (they could have been Saying Boo-earns I guess) but I haven't heard any one say anything about this yet? We're still getting ripped a year later!:rolling: :rolling:
:rolling: :rolling:

SoxFan76
07-14-2004, 01:34 PM
The Houston Fans Boo'ed him too (they could have been Saying Boo-earns I guess) but I haven't heard any one say anything about this yet? We're still getting ripped a year later!
:rolling: I love that line. I always say that whenever my mom has the Cubs game on and Alou comes up.

jackbrohamer
07-14-2004, 01:50 PM
Cripes how does a guy like Phil Garner keep getting jobs? One .500+ year, the first of his 11 as a manager.

SOXSINCE'70
07-14-2004, 02:11 PM
Anyonre remember Garner and Bevington going at it in '95 or '96??I never laughed so damn hard!!!!What are the odds of a Garner/LaRussa melee??:tongue:

bartmanisgod
07-14-2004, 02:12 PM
now the only question is...do we cheer for Houston to do good and knock out the Flubbies...or do we cheer for them to do bad so we have a chance at Beltran?

SOXSINCE'70
07-14-2004, 02:16 PM
:rolling: I love that line. I always say that whenever my mom has the Cubs game on and Alou comes up.
When the sCrUBS played the Sox,I sat in the left field bleachers and called Alou A LOOOOOOOOOO-SER over and over.He did turn around at least once to see what was going on.:rolling: :rolling:

SOXPHILE
07-14-2004, 09:48 PM
He's baaaaaack ! Jeez, how many chances does this guy get ? Hopefully he's just enough of a tool to light a little fire under those dopes in Houston so they can play spoiler, and give the Wrigley Rats some problems. (A dust up between him and Dusty "Hey Dude" Baker and their teams would be kinda funny, especially if the Astros wind up winning the game, and a bunch of Cubs get suspended for a few games).

:garner "Cute & Cuddly Cubs ?! I'll show them cute & cuddly..!"