PDA

View Full Version : Brooks Boyer walks the fine line of PC...

Whitesox029
07-12-2004, 12:23 AM
...And does a fine job, IMO. I'm referring to Shingo's new introduction, of course, having not seen it yet until I attended both of the last two games. The gong is a nice touch I think; I can see how it might make it even a little intimidating to an opposing hitter. The message on the left-center field screen is cool too. The Godzilla snippets may be a bit much, but it's still cool and I don't really think Shingo himself cares.
As to the music, they play Salsa music when Maggs and Josey come up, so why not Japanese pop when Shingo comes in?

A.T. Money
07-12-2004, 12:25 AM
...And does a fine job, IMO. I'm referring to Shingo's new introduction, of course, having not seen it yet until I attended both of the last two games. The gong is a nice touch I think; I can see how it might make it even a little intimidating to an opposing hitter. The message on the left-center field screen is cool too. The Godzilla snippets may be a bit much, but it's still cool and I don't really think Shingo himself cares.
As to the music, they play Salsa music when Maggs and Josey come up, so why not Japanese pop when Shingo comes in?
I think the whole Shingo Time thing is great, and it's wonderful how the fans and the organization has embraced him. It has to be awkward being the only Japanese player on the team, but I think he feels at home. I can't remember any Sox releaver getting a standing O, not even Thigpen in his prime.

A.T. Money
07-12-2004, 12:27 AM
Another thing....

Anyone notice how they no longer show the pitches during the Shingo Time video? They just disappear now, so the other team can't watch the video to see his pitches. The first time I saw the Shingo Time video vs. the Cubs on Saturday, they showed the pitches. Now the ball is invisible.

SpringfldFan
07-12-2004, 12:39 AM
I see only one problem with all of this. Shingo is Japanese but isn't the Gong a Chinese instrument?:?: Shingo probably isn't offended, but he probably doesn't think we are the smartest people around.

pearso66
07-12-2004, 12:50 AM
I don't think he cares one way or the other. It just probably makes him feel good to be held in such high regards. It seems like everyone loves him, and the crowd goes nuts when he comes in. That has to pump him up. And if the Gong pumps the crowd up, then it really helps.

bigfoot
07-12-2004, 01:00 AM
As to the music, they play Salsa music when Maggs and Josey come up, so why not Japanese pop when Shingo comes in?And hasn't MR Zero been a pleasant surprise?!?!
It would be interesting to know what Shingo thinks(if anything) of the him being portrayed as Godzilla.
~The original movies were a jab at the atomic age power of the USA( & others) by Japanese film makers, with Godzilla and his atomic breath(see Hiroshima/Nagasaki) being cast as the USA, post-WWll. Stomping around the cities of Japan with destruction in mind. In the later movies, Godzilla came to the rescue of Japan vs some other 'monsters', Rodan,Mothra, etc. , all represented other 'foreign' powers vying for power in the Far East(China, USSR). The symbolism was powerful in Japan, though it seems to have been lost on the US audience. Checkout:
http//:www.stomptokyo.com/movies/godzilla.html

Unregistered
07-12-2004, 02:03 AM
From the Trib:

When he enters the game, the crowd gives him a standing ovation and a gong sound is played over the loudspeaker.

"He says that it makes him excited, that when he comes in the fans give him the energy to pitch good," Abei said.
There, see? Not only does he not mind, he actually LIKES it. Can we PLEASE put an end to the PC gong police? :cool:

jeremyb1
07-12-2004, 02:16 AM
From the Trib:

There, see? Not only does he not mind, he actually LIKES it. Can we PLEASE put an end to the PC gong police? :cool:

That doesn't say he likes the gong, it says he likes the support the fans give him. He may hate it and be horribly offended. As I said the last time around, I don't see anything wrong with being P.C. It's never hurt anyone in any way, shape, or form as it's an act to look out for another's feeling. I don't see how you could ever hurt anyone by trying to hard to be polite and not offend them whereas you certainly can if you're careless about race, gender, and ethnicity. Those issues are terribly important to people.

doublem23
07-12-2004, 02:24 AM
That doesn't say he likes the gong, it says he likes the support the fans give him. He may hate it and be horribly offended. As I said the last time around, I don't see anything wrong with being P.C. It's never hurt anyone in any way, shape, or form as it's an act to look out for another's feeling. I don't see how you could ever hurt anyone by trying to hard to be polite and not offend them whereas you certainly can if you're careless about race, gender, and ethnicity. Those issues are terribly important to people.
I think he may have mentioned if the gong was terribly offensive to him. At worst, I think he may just be apathetic to the gong and revved up by the fans.

Whitesox029
07-12-2004, 02:57 AM
That doesn't say he likes the gong, it says he likes the support the fans give him. He may hate it and be horribly offended. As I said the last time around, I don't see anything wrong with being P.C. It's never hurt anyone in any way, shape, or form as it's an act to look out for another's feeling. I don't see how you could ever hurt anyone by trying to hard to be polite and not offend them whereas you certainly can if you're careless about race, gender, and ethnicity. Those issues are terribly important to people.And they really shouldn't be should they? I'm part German and if I were the Sox closer they could play all the polka type accordion music they wanted and I wouldn't care. People who are able to poke fun at their own ethnicity are the ones who are properly desensitized to other people poking fun at them.
Heck, I make fun of white people all the time. There is a line that can't be crossed, which includes references to former hostilities and direct and meaningfully cutting remarks about race, religion, etc (I would prefer we don't show videos of Nazi rallies when I become sox closer). However, as long as we don't show Shingo's being Japanese in a bad light, I think we're just fine.
There's politically correct, and then there's politically too correct.

fquaye149
07-12-2004, 07:42 AM
And they really shouldn't be should they? I'm part German and if I were the Sox closer they could play all the polka type accordion music they wanted and I wouldn't care.
but they wouldn't, and that's the difference.e

anyway, the gong's not really offensive at all even if you're hypersensitive.

as long as they don't start showing a mushroom cloud. . .:redneck

jackbrohamer
07-12-2004, 09:37 AM
IMHO it's a total non-issue, the guy is Japanese so what's wrong with referring to Japanese pop-culture symbols when he pitches? It's not like it's a racial slur or anything.

Saturday was the first game I've been to where I heard the gong when Shingo came in, it was pretty damned exciting & the crowd went nuts.

A.T. Money
07-12-2004, 09:44 AM
The GONG RULES!

It even goes off when he records an out. It's awesome.

The techno music is a nice touch too.:tongue:

misty60481
07-12-2004, 09:59 AM
Maybe Nancy could play " Sayonara "

bennyw41
07-12-2004, 10:14 AM
Hey Stockdale, ya think they should play a rain dance for him?

BigEdWalsh
07-12-2004, 10:22 AM
The gong rules!

Shingo rules!!

:dancers:

Palehose13
07-12-2004, 11:51 AM
I heard/saw it for the first time yesterday. Pretty damn cool.

I wish we could stop the talk about needed a closer.

p.s. I brought a cub fan friend yesterday and she said that when "Shingo Time" reminded her of "Major League" (not in a bad way) because Shingo walked (strutted) out of the pen instead of jogging (like Vaughn). I was busy watching the scoreboard. Has anyone else noticed this? If he does, I think that pretty cool to have this little Japanese guy strutting out of the pen with attitude. :D:

hawkjt
07-12-2004, 11:57 AM
PC police question: Is "Shingo's Gringo's" offensive? Thinking of getting a sign going with friends to reference Mr. Takatsu. All in good fun with a melting pot of buddies. Might not be acceptable so if not I would come up with something else.

Mickster
07-12-2004, 11:59 AM
PC police question: Is "Shingo's Gringo's" offensive? Thinking of getting a sign going with friends to reference Mr. Takatsu. All in good fun with a melting pot of buddies. Might not be acceptable so if not I would come up with something else.
Would work if Shingo was Latino.....

voodoochile
07-12-2004, 12:02 PM
Would work if Shingo was Latino.....
I'm voting for "Shingo's Fighting Whities"...:o:

Vsahajpal
07-12-2004, 01:09 PM
Do they really show Godzilla "snippets?"

soxnut
07-12-2004, 07:07 PM
And they really shouldn't be should they? I'm part German and if I were the Sox closer they could play all the polka type accordion music they wanted and I wouldn't care. People who are able to poke fun at their own ethnicity are the ones who are properly desensitized to other people poking fun at them.
Heck, I make fun of white people all the time. There is a line that can't be crossed, which includes references to former hostilities and direct and meaningfully cutting remarks about race, religion, etc (I would prefer we don't show videos of Nazi rallies when I become sox closer). However, as long as we don't show Shingo's being Japanese in a bad light, I think we're just fine.
There's politically correct, and then there's politically too correct.

I'm with ya. I think pc is overdone btw.

RKMeibalane
07-12-2004, 07:15 PM
Shingo approved the whole charade.

They were "PC" and cleared it with him first.

End of discussion.
Thank you. If it doesn't bother Shingo, it shouldn't bother us.

Whitesox029
07-12-2004, 08:06 PM
as long as they don't start showing a mushroom cloud. . .:redneckmy point exactly...especially since he's from Hiroshima. As long as you stick to the good spots in Japanese cultur and history.

They would play german polkas for a german player if he was actually born and raised there, but not if he was second or third generation. Shingo's unique in that he's the Sox' first ever Japanese-born player. That's why they make a big deal, and there's really nothing wrong with that.

Jerome
07-12-2004, 10:34 PM
As Mr. Sparkle is disrespectful to dirt, so is Mr. Zero disrespectful to opposing hitters.

CanOfCorn
07-12-2004, 11:38 PM
As Mr. Sparkle is disrespectful to dirt, so is Mr. Zero disrespectful to opposing hitters.The batter's box is no place for loafers.

CanOfCorn
07-12-2004, 11:40 PM
For what it's worth, my aunt is from Hiroshima and likes Shingo-fever. It's gotten her interested in White Sox baseball for the first time.

kittle545feet
07-13-2004, 02:29 PM
:yup: SUCKS! hope i didn't offend you super sensitive everything should be un-offensive types. stop trying to take away my right to think of you as being idiots and you guys thinking i am a caveman or whatever else you may think of me. cause frankly.............i don't care!:kukoo:

kittle42
07-13-2004, 03:15 PM
:yup: SUCKS! hope i didn't offend you super sensitive everything should be un-offensive types. stop trying to take away my right to think of you as being idiots and you guys thinking i am a caveman or whatever else you may think of me. cause frankly.............i don't care!:kukoo:
Thanks for adding to the discourse.

RKMeibalane
07-13-2004, 10:15 PM
What happened to the rest of this thread? I know it was longer than this.

RKMeibalane
07-13-2004, 10:19 PM
Nevermind. I found it.