PDA

View Full Version : mlb.com Radio Snub

TornLabrum
07-13-2004, 11:56 PM
Had to listen to MLB.com's radio coverage of the All-Star game so I could get some work done on the computer. Didn't catch who it was, but I definitely heard the announcers say that the Twins were a first place team but only had one All-Star. I don't care who the media are, they just kind of ignore the Sox.

Kadafi311
07-14-2004, 12:01 AM
Had to listen to MLB.com's radio coverage of the All-Star game so I could get some work done on the computer. Didn't catch who it was, but I definitely heard the announcers say that the Twins were a first place team but only had one All-Star. I don't care who the media are, they just kind of ignore the Sox.Actually Tim McCarver on the Fox telecast dedicated about 15-20 seconds of air time talking about how Ozzie is a great manager for the Sox and is the man to lead us back to the playoffs. He also mentioned that Ozzie has a good grasp and respect for the history of the franchise.

So, I'd have to beg to differ. And this :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: attitude of a lot of Sox fan is getting really tiresome. Our fan base is getting a reputation for being whiney... and I can't think of anything worse.

samram
07-14-2004, 07:22 AM
Actually Tim McCarver on the Fox telecast dedicated about 15-20 seconds of air time talking about how Ozzie is a great manager for the Sox and is the man to lead us back to the playoffs.
He must have mistaken Ozzie for Derek Jeter.

thepaulbowski
07-14-2004, 08:29 AM
Had to listen to MLB.com's radio coverage of the All-Star game so I could get some work done on the computer. Didn't catch who it was, but I definitely heard the announcers say that the Twins were a first place team but only had one All-Star. I don't care who the media are, they just kind of ignore the Sox.
I listened to the game on the radio too, but didn't recall hearing that. They did talk about what a race it should be with the Twins & Sox & the only race that would probably be better is the NL East.

soxtalker
07-14-2004, 08:29 AM
So, I'd have to beg to differ. And this :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: attitude of a lot of Sox fan is getting really tiresome. Our fan base is getting a reputation for being whiney... and I can't think of anything worse.
I tend to agree. While I understand (and share) the disappointment when the Sox aren't mentioned or are mentioned in less than a favorable light, there are a lot of other teams out there that deserve recognition. As well as we think that the Sox are playing, there are many teams that are within a few games of our record, and a few teams that are much better.

Let me turn it around. It almost does us a favor if the national media doesn't focus on the Sox. I'd much rather have as few people as possible worrying about what the Sox could do to their teams -- until after we play them.

TornLabrum
07-14-2004, 09:18 AM
I listened to the game on the radio too, but didn't recall hearing that. They did talk about what a race it should be with the Twins & Sox & the only race that would probably be better is the NL East.
It occurred during the 7th or 8th inning. (I turned on the broadcast when "God Bless America" was being sung.

TornLabrum
07-14-2004, 09:19 AM
I tend to agree. While I understand (and share) the disappointment when the Sox aren't mentioned or are mentioned in less than a favorable light, there are a lot of other teams out there that deserve recognition. As well as we think that the Sox are playing, there are many teams that are within a few games of our record, and a few teams that are much better.

Let me turn it around. It almost does us a favor if the national media doesn't focus on the Sox. I'd much rather have as few people as possible worrying about what the Sox could do to their teams -- until after we play them.
Let me clarify my original post. The broadcasters on mlb.com didn't even know who was in first place in the AL Central.

BigEdWalsh
07-14-2004, 09:26 AM
Us?? :dunno: Whiney??!! :whistle:

Brian26
07-14-2004, 10:06 AM
Let me clarify my original post. The broadcasters on mlb.com didn't even know who was in first place in the AL Central.

Not sure if it is the same two guys, but I enjoyed the broadcast on AM 1000. Soup Campbell does a nice job and is infinitely better than McCarver and Buck.

TornLabrum
07-14-2004, 10:37 AM
Not sure if it is the same two guys, but I enjoyed the broadcast on AM 1000. Soup Campbell does a nice job and is infinitely better than McCarver and Buck.
I'm pretty sure it wasn't because they kept calling themselves mlb radio. No network affiliation was given.

jackbrohamer
07-14-2004, 10:42 AM
Our fan base is getting a reputation for being whiney... and I can't think of anything worse.
What sports fans aren't whiney?

Kadafi311
07-14-2004, 11:38 AM
What sports fans aren't whiney?I'd say most aren't, but that is indeed a popular misconception because they're certainly never the silent minority. And just to clarify, there is complaining and then there is the whining I'm speaking of:

- It's ok to complain about your team's performance, bad management, bad ownership, etc. This is perfectly normal and acceptable because it demonstrates passion for your team. I'm assuming your "What sports fans aren't whiney?" conception probably falls into this category.

- Then there is the, "Oh oh, woses me, woses me. Why me, why us, why them and not us, waah waah". This is just useless dribble, leave it for the red haired fat kid.

As soxtalker stated above, I'd much rather fly under the radar. However, when the media is constantly accusing Sox fans of having an inferiority complex, it's downright embarassing.