PDA

View Full Version : Ichiro...what?

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-13-2004, 11:47 PM
Im sure this has been talked about or mentioned somewhere...But does anyone know why ichiro's last name is seldom talked about? Its not on his jersey and they never emphasize it. (I know its suzuki :smile: ) I think its because of some chinese thing they do where they always put their first name becuase last names are more popular..?:?:

ScottyTheSoxFan
07-13-2004, 11:56 PM
I I think its because of some chinese thing they do where they always put their first name becuase last names are more popular..?:?:
that would be strange, seeing as how Ichiro is from Japan, not China. however, Ichiro and Yao Ming are the only 2 athletes that i can think of that do this. shingo wears his last name.

Aidan
07-13-2004, 11:59 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean. His name is Ichiro Suzuki but he only has Ichiro on his jersey and they only showed "Ichiro" when FOX showed his stats. The MLB probably just wants to make him a household name.

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-14-2004, 12:01 AM
Yeah, I know what you mean. His name is Ichiro Suzuki but he only has Ichiro on his jersey and they only showed "Ichiro" when FOX showed his stats. The MLB probably just wants to make him a household name.
Indeed. Anyone know?

Aidan
07-14-2004, 12:04 AM
Indeed. Anyone know? Yeah, good question. Because Shingo is Shingo Takatsu. Then there's Hideki and Kaz Matsui. They all use their last names.

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-14-2004, 12:06 AM
Yeah, good question. Because Shingo is Shingo Takatsu. Then there's Hideki and Kaz Matsui. They all use their last names.
All these oriental baseball players use their last names. Does Ichiro want to be cast out as an individual?

StepsInSC
07-14-2004, 12:09 AM
It has nothing to do with the MLB. It started in Japan, Ichiro is the most common name in Japan, since 'ichi' is first and 'ro' is child. In '94 the PR people for the Orix Blue Wave decided to just put Ichiro on the back of his jersey as part of a new marketing scheme. Ichiro hated it at first, but he set the record for hits in a single season that year and became an even bigger star. So it caught on.

On another note Chili Davis used to just have Chili on the back of his.

CubsfansareDRUNK
07-14-2004, 12:10 AM
Really?

StepsInSC
07-14-2004, 12:13 AM
Really?
Yes. First names are hardly ever used in Japan, and IIRC when Ichiro began going by "Ichiro" there was another older player, one of Ichiro's teammates, who also began to be called by his first name as well...but he was older and it didn't really catch on. It is extremely rare for anyone to be called by their first time in any formal or semi-formal situation in Japan.

StillMissOzzie
07-14-2004, 01:23 AM
On another note Chili Davis used to just have Chili on the back of his.And voice of the White Sox Ken Harrelson used to have "Hawk" on his jersey for a while.

SMO
:gulp:

C-Dawg
07-14-2004, 06:25 AM

Vida Blue had just "Vida" on his uniform for awhile.

Tekijawa
07-14-2004, 09:30 AM
I have Chili on the FRONT of my shirt and it's 8 o'clock in the morning, how'd he get it on his back?

TommyJohn
07-14-2004, 09:50 AM
Elvin Hayes used to have "E" on the back of his uniform.

In 1977 Dick Allen, playing with the Oakland A's, had Wampum (his hometown)
on the back of his uniform.

All-time champ, though, is Ted Turner. When he signed Andy Messersmith,
he gave him number 17, saying that Messersmith was "Super 17" like his
then-new cable channel. So then Ted decided to give Messersmith a
nickname to put on the back of his uniform. The nickname he came up with
was "Channel." So the next time Messersmith played he trotted out with
"Channel 17" on his back. NL President Chub Feeney was not amused and
put the kibbosh on Ted's clever advertising scheme.

bigfoot
07-14-2004, 11:22 AM
that would be strange, seeing as how Ichiro is from Japan, not China. however, Ichiro and Yao Ming are the only 2 athletes that i can think of that do this. shingo wears his last name.Unlike the Japnese Ichiro...
With regard to Yao Ming...but isn't Yao the surname in Chinese, isn't the language read, right to left and has been confusing to Westerners when it comes to proper names?

MarqSox
07-14-2004, 11:30 AM
Unlike the Japnese Ichiro...
With regard to Yao Ming...but isn't Yao the surname in Chinese, isn't the language read, right to left and has been confusing to Westerners when it comes to proper names?Indeed. In China, the surname comes first.

In Ichiro's case, I'm convinced he simply thinks he's playing soccer.

StepsInSC
07-14-2004, 11:47 AM
Unlike the Japnese Ichiro...
With regard to Yao Ming...but isn't Yao the surname in Chinese, isn't the language read, right to left and has been confusing to Westerners when it comes to proper names?
Yup, Yao is his surname. Japanese is the same way...with surname being in front of the first name.

C-Dawg
07-14-2004, 12:03 PM
In 1977 Dick Allen, playing with the Oakland A's, had Wampum (his hometown)
on the back of his uniform.

I'm glad you mentioned that; I remember someone having that name on their uniform but I couldn't remember for the life of me who it was! LOL! In 1977 I was still a youngster who had just discovered the Sox, and when I saw Allen on TV (for the A's) I never made the connection at the time that he had recently been a slugger for our own team. Ah, the innocence of youth.