PDA

View Full Version : Heard on Boston radio (good for a laugh)

A. Cavatica
07-13-2004, 10:33 PM
Over the past couple of days I've heard several callers to WEEI in Boston pine for the Ordonez-Garciaparra swap. Some want Ordonez for his bat, some want to unload Garciaparra, and one genius wanted a three-way trade in which Boston would send us Nomar, we'd send prospects to Arizona, and the D-Backs would send Randy Johnson to Boston!
:rolleyes:

Now, I actually liked the trade when it was rumored in the offseason (whether we'd have kept Nomar, or sent him west for a starter). But Nomar has been hurt much of the season, has reportedly sulked a bit, and some people are even questioning his work ethic for the first time. Meanwhile, both Uribe and Valentin have come up huge for us, and we've acquired Freddy Garcia. I don't know what the hell we'd do with Nomar.

As for the three-way trade, if we had prospects that were good enough to get us RJ, wouldn't we just keep RJ?

RKMeibalane
07-13-2004, 10:35 PM
As for the three-way trade, if we had prospects that were good enough to get us RJ, wouldn't we just keep RJ?
KW isn't creative enough to make this happen.

jeremyb1
07-13-2004, 10:37 PM
Rob Neyer mentioned this in his chat tonight

scott Phx, Az: Any truth to this? The Boston Red Sox have an agreement to trade Nomar to the Chicago White Sox, with White Sox to trade prospects to Arizona, who send Randy Johnson to Boston. MLB trying to hold announcement off until tomorrow, as it generally does not allow significant announcements day of All-Star game.

Rob Neyer: (11:11 PM ET ) Judging from the questions I've seen tonight, this is the hot rumor. All I can tell you is that this is the first I've heard of such a deal. Of course the Diamondbacks could use prospects and the Red Sox could use Johnson . . . but why would the White Sox want Garciaparra? Last I checked, Valentin was doing a pretty good job at shortstop.

His analysis is dead on. Clearly this would be a pointless deal for us. If it was just speculation concocted by those on sports radio in Boston that makes sense.

juanuribe
07-13-2004, 10:39 PM
KW isn't creative enough to make this happen.
That's a bit harsh. He was creative enough to get Robbie Alomar & Carl Everett with both of their former teams covering the balance of their '03 salary. I think that's pretty creative.

A. Cavatica
07-13-2004, 10:53 PM
I think the trade's crazy, but with Frank injured and Olivo traded, we do need a hitter.

I can't see how to fit Nomar, Valentin, and Uribe into the same lineup. Would Crede be going to Arizona? Or Valentin be going somewhere? Maybe we'd move Nomar to third.

As much as I hate Carl Everett, a cheap lefthanded DH makes a lot more sense right now. And the hitter who would make the most sense is Kendall.

Aidan
07-13-2004, 11:07 PM
I think the trade's crazy, but with Frank injured and Olivo traded, we do need a hitter.

I can't see how to fit Nomar, Valentin, and Uribe into the same lineup. Would Crede be going to Arizona? Or Valentin be going somewhere? Maybe we'd move Nomar to third.

As much as I hate Carl Everett, a cheap lefthanded DH makes a lot more sense right now. And the hitter who would make the most sense is Kendall. If we did get Nomar, he could alternate between SS and DH with Valentin. Nomar could actually leadoff for us. He is really starting to hit now.

Tragg
07-13-2004, 11:31 PM
General rule of thumb- Avoid like the plague anyone someone else has been trying to dump----like Nomar.

Plus we'd pay Randy Johnson price for Nomar- what sense is there in that.

Please Kenny, forget your infatuation with Nomar.