PDA

View Full Version : who thinks giambi should've declined his all star spot?

chaerulez
07-13-2004, 07:41 PM
Or at least his starting spot... honestly if I was him I'd be embrassed that Konerko is beating me cleanly in AVG, HR, RBI, and R's.

But of course I bet the media would be all over a .240 10 HR hitter starting at 1B if it was a player on any team that wasn't the Yankees.

samram
07-13-2004, 07:45 PM
Nah. The fans voted him in, so he may as well go. Torre, on the other hand, could have taken into account that he has two undserving starters from his own team, and tried to compensate by not basically choosing the entire Yankees team for the AS squad.

MetalliSox
07-13-2004, 08:26 PM
Also, probably wanted his All Star bonus check!

RKMeibalane
07-13-2004, 08:56 PM
I really MLB needs to implement some sort of "All Star Recall" procedure for things like this. Giambi doesn't belong there, and he knows it. Having said that, you can't really expect him to turn down the invite, so someone else should have done it for him.

If Giambi hadn't gone, then Frank would have gotten the start because he was second in the voting. Since Frank is hurt, Konerko is the only other deserving player, and so he should be there.

This is one of the many reasons why baseball needs a real comissioner. The current one has no testicular fortitude whatsoever.

ScottyTheSoxFan
07-13-2004, 10:59 PM
If Giambi doesnt want to play in the HR derby, than i dont think he should play in the game. he might catch another parasite or something.

Aidan
07-13-2004, 11:02 PM
I was talking to my dad about this. Giambi should've been embarrased that he made the All-Star team and stepped down, giving Konerko his spot.

fquaye149
07-14-2004, 12:39 AM
damn, i hate to say it, cuz i'm mad as hell about the as game,

but i don't blame torre for taking his own players.

it's the system that needs to change. a manager has to instill a sense of confidence in his own players and i believe that's what torre's trying to do.

Ozzie's came out and said if we win the WS that he will pick all guys from his squad. I believe he'd do it too :) the mediat would go insane over it, but i personally wouldn't have a problem with it, and maybe it would obviously exact a change.

i guess we have no choice but to root for the white sox to win it all, which we weren't going to anyway, so at least we can change the AS game system:redneck:redneck:redneck