PDA

View Full Version : White Sox may go after Beltran!

Aidan
07-13-2004, 07:48 PM
From Sportsline.com:

News: The Chicago Tribune reports that the Astros might trade Carlos Beltran if they fall out of playoff contention, and the White Sox would attempt to acquire him. "I do understand if (the Astros) don't put things together, and we start losing games, something will happen, sooner or later," Beltran said.

EDIT: I guess they just pulled this quote from the following article...
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/printedition/chi-0407130332jul13,1,6435212.story

OzzieBall2004
07-13-2004, 08:00 PM
My post on this got moved to Talkin Baseball....why not this one?

RKMeibalane
07-13-2004, 08:28 PM
My post on this got moved to Talkin Baseball....why not this one?
If a post is Sox-related, it usually is posted in the Clubhouse.

SoxxoS
07-13-2004, 08:38 PM
This has a credible source.

daveeym
07-13-2004, 08:39 PM
My post on this got moved to Talkin Baseball....why not this one? If i have your post right its because it was an unsubstantiated rumor with no link to back it up. Rumors without links (except for certain proven posters as Otis) will get moved to talkin baseball. Also possible that they just haven't moved this thread yet.

gobears1987
07-13-2004, 08:46 PM
Beltran is one of the few players I would consider trading Maggs for.

NonetheLoaiza
07-13-2004, 08:58 PM
here we go again

doublem23
07-13-2004, 10:24 PM
If i have your post right its because it was an unsubstantiated rumor with no link to back it up. Rumors without links (except for certain proven posters as Otis) will get moved to talkin baseball. Also possible that they just haven't moved this thread yet.
No, this is the reason. Trade speculation will generally be moved to Talkin' Baseball unless a link to a credible news source has been provided.

Mohoney
07-13-2004, 11:25 PM
There's no chance we get Beltran now. We can't give Houston a catcher to replace the one they gave up to K.C., nor can we give them a relief pitcher even close to Dotel.

The only chance would have been to swing a trade for Beltran and Randa with a package centered around Crede and Olivo, with a minor league pitcher (maybe Munoz) and a minor league OF (maybe Sweeney or Anderson) included.

Kansas City ended up getting a 3B, C, and P for Beltran. If we would have thrown in a blue-chip young OF, we might have been able to pick up Randa, too, since Crede and Olivo are already major league ready.

gobears1987
07-13-2004, 11:28 PM
We can make a trade with KC possibly.

RKMeibalane
07-13-2004, 11:33 PM
We can make a trade with KC possibly.
The Sox could have made a trade with KC if they had not made the deal with Seattle to get Garcia. Now, however, they don't have anything to give back to Houston if they go after Beltran. It's too bad Frank is hurt right now. Otherwise, I would have suggested that KW talk with the Braves about trading Konerko and Rauch for Andruw Jones.

Aidan
07-13-2004, 11:39 PM
The Sox could have made a trade with KC if they had not made the deal with Seattle to get Garcia. Now, however, they don't have anything to give back to Houston if they go after Beltran. It's too bad Frank is hurt right now. Otherwise, I would have suggested that KW talk with the Braves about trading Konerko and Rauch for Andruw Jones. Konerko AND Rauch for Jones??? Ummm, no thanks. I wouldn't trade Konerko for Jones straight up. The only guy I would trade for Jones is Magglio and that is only if we really have no hope of resigning him.

Tragg
07-14-2004, 12:02 AM
There's no chance we get Beltran now. We can't give Houston a catcher to replace the one they gave up to K.C., nor can we give them a relief pitcher even close to Dotel.

The only chance would have been to swing a trade for Beltran and Randa with a package centered around Crede and Olivo, with a minor league pitcher (maybe Munoz) and a minor league OF (maybe Sweeney or Anderson) included.

Kansas City ended up getting a 3B, C, and P for Beltran. If we would have thrown in a blue-chip young OF, we might have been able to pick up Randa, too, since Crede and Olivo are already major league ready.that' for a complete 100% rent a player whom we have 0 shot of signing. NO thak you.

Randa???? He and his current 313 OBP (the only stat he used to be competent at) can stay on KC's DL, not ours. He also has little power- zero seasons with 20 homers- Crede had more in his first full year than Randa has had in any of his 9;

I'd rather Crede than a 36 year old stiff like Randa.

Aidan
07-14-2004, 01:17 AM
that' for a complete 100% rent a player whom we have 0 shot of signing. NO thak you.

Randa???? He and his current 313 OBP (the only stat he used to be competent at) can stay on KC's DL, not ours. He also has little power- zero seasons with 20 homers- Crede had more in his first full year than Randa has had in any of his 9;

I'd rather Crede than a 36 year old stiff like Randa. That is definately a dumb trade. What is up with all the Crede haters here? Even if his offense is down, he is a vacuum at 3B. And we all know that his bat heats up during the second half.

Frank the Tank
07-14-2004, 08:29 PM
I don't understand people's fascination with Carlos Beltran. He is a good player, but what has he done to gain his superstar status? He has never hit more than 29 home runs or batted higher than .307 in a season. Magglio and Carlos have been in the big league about the same amount of time, but Maggs has out-produced Carlos Beltran in HRs, RBIs, and BA. I would prefer the sox focus their efforts on re-signing Magglio

OEO Magglio
07-14-2004, 08:36 PM
I don't understand people's fascination with Carlos (http://www.adsrve.com/linkredirect.php?h=502,28012355,whitesoxinteractiv e.com,1) Beltran. He is a good player, but what has he done to gain his superstar status? He has never hit more than 29 home runs or batted higher than .307 in a season. Magglio and Carlos have been in the big league about the same amount of time, but Maggs has out-produced Carlos Beltran in HRs, RBIs, and BA. I would prefer the sox focus their efforts on re-signing MagglioCarlos is a very good hitter, who can easily be a gold glove centerfielder and who can steal a ton of bases. He's your prototypical 5 tool guy.

patbooyah
07-14-2004, 09:06 PM
aidan- could you post about something besides unsubstantiated trade rumors?

jabrch
07-14-2004, 09:44 PM
I don't understand people's fascination with Carlos Beltran. He is a good player, but what has he done to gain his superstar status? He has never hit more than 29 home runs or batted higher than .307 in a season. Magglio and Carlos have been in the big league about the same amount of time, but Maggs has out-produced Carlos Beltran in HRs, RBIs, and BA. I would prefer the sox focus their efforts on re-signing Magglio
Why can't we have both - for this season - and worry about resiging either of them next year - if either is willing to take the 4/12-15 that we are reported to be offering to Ordonez?

Tragg
07-14-2004, 10:12 PM
The Astros gave up one prospect and a piece of crap (dotel) for Beltran.
If KW will pay that kind of price, I'm all for it

But he won't

doublem23
07-14-2004, 10:21 PM
Because Beltran is exactly the player that this team need. This organization is stacked with corner outfielders and we haven't had a good centerfielder since April 2002 when Kenny Lofton tore the cover off the ball. Also, Carlos is 4-5 years younger than Magglio.

Aidan
07-14-2004, 10:22 PM
I don't understand people's fascination with Carlos Beltran. He is a good player, but what has he done to gain his superstar status? He has never hit more than 29 home runs or batted higher than .307 in a season. Magglio and Carlos have been in the big league about the same amount of time, but Maggs has out-produced Carlos Beltran in HRs, RBIs, and BA. I would prefer the sox focus their efforts on re-signing MagglioOf course we want Maggs to resign. Carlos Beltran would only be a 2 month rental but he could help us get to the playoffs. He proved he is a "gamebreaker" in that Astros/Cubs series in which he hit homers in two games to tie them up. If the Astros fall out of contention before July 31 and decide to move Beltran we could have this lineup...

2B Juan Uribe
CF Carlos Beltran
RF Magglio Ordonez
LF Carlos Lee
1B Paul Konerko
SS Jose Valentin
DH Aaron Rowand / Joe Borchard
3B Joe Crede
C Sandy Alomar Jr.

It would make us solid offensively and defensively with some added speed at the top of the order. Who wouldn't want that?
aidan- could you post about something besides unsubstantiated trade rumors?

It was in the Chicago Tribune you jabroni...

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-040712rogers,1,1678886.story

doublem23
07-14-2004, 10:28 PM
It was in the Chicago Tribune you jabroni...

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-040712rogers,1,1678886.story
Then why didn't you just post the link earlier?

Aidan
07-14-2004, 10:30 PM
Then why didn't you just post the link earlier?If you look at my 1st post of this thread I did post the link earlier. :rolleyes:

Look under my first post. It says...

"Last edited by Aidan : Yesterday at 06:57 PM."

Damn, you guys are either slow or drunk! :gulp:

Mohoney
07-15-2004, 05:42 PM
Of course we want Maggs to resign. Carlos Beltran would only be a 2 month rental but he could help us get to the playoffs.

If we pulled the trigger on a Beltran deal, I think we would have averaged over 30,000 a game for the rest of the season. If we topped 3 million in attendance, collected substantial playoff revenue, and made a killing off the Comcast TV and new radio contracts, then why wouldn't Reinsdorf and the other shareholders, who have always said that "If you come, we will build it", re-sign both Maggs AND Beltran?

Maybe I'm naive, but I think that getting Beltran AND Garcia would have been enough to take this town by storm, and the Cell would have been packed nightly.

That being said, I think we can STILL take this town over. All we need to do is win.

eshunn2001
07-15-2004, 05:52 PM
Carlos is a very good hitter, who can easily be a gold glove centerfielder and who can steal a ton of bases. He's your prototypical 5 tool guy.
He is hittin about .270 his glove is good, not Tori Hunter or Andrew Jones like. He is a solid player but no Superstar...yet. He has never hit 30 hr, He has had hit over .300 2 times and Barely. He is good, not Great.

Mohoney
07-17-2004, 01:53 AM
He is hittin about .270 his glove is good, not Tori Hunter or Andrew Jones like. He is a solid player but no Superstar...yet. He has never hit 30 hr, He has had hit over .300 2 times and Barely. He is good, not Great.

Yes, he hit .270, but on a last place and offensively mediocre Royals team. Get the man some decent protection, and look what he does. He's single-handedly trying to keep Houston afloat.

His glove is, at least, in the same league as Torii Hunter or Andruw Jones while EASILY surpassing them offensively.

I GUARANTEE a few 30+ HR seasons from this guy.

He hits .300, he has 25-35 HR pop, he has 30+ SB speed on the basepaths, and he plays Gold Glove caliber defense. By the way, his best days are AHEAD of him, not behind him.

This guy reeks of superstar. Lee in LF, Beltran in CF, Ordonez in RF? Who can match that?

OEO Magglio
07-17-2004, 02:02 AM
Yes, he hit .270, but on a last place and offensively mediocre Royals team. Get the man some decent protection, and look what he does. He's single-handedly trying to keep Houston afloat.

His glove is, at least, in the same league as Torii Hunter or Andruw Jones while EASILY surpassing them offensively.

I GUARANTEE a few 30+ HR seasons from this guy.

He hits .300, he has 25-35 HR pop, he has 30+ SB speed on the basepaths, and he plays Gold Glove caliber defense. By the way, his best days are AHEAD of him, not behind him.

This guy reeks of superstar. Lee in LF, Beltran in CF, Ordonez in RF? Who can match that?I would say Beltran is a step below Jones and Hunter but he's much better offensively then both of them. He's got great speed and is a very good hitter. To answer your question mohoney, that would easily be the best outfield in baseball.

ClaudelSleptHere
07-17-2004, 02:15 AM
Just out of curiosity, if you guarantee a few 30+ homer seasons from Beltran and he doesn't deliver, what exactly do you lose?

StepsInSC
07-17-2004, 02:16 AM
This guy reeks of superstar. Lee in LF, Beltran in CF, Ordonez in RF? Who can match that?
A better question is "Who can pay for that?"

:reinsy
"Who you lookin' at foo'?"

Mohoney
07-17-2004, 02:41 AM
Just out of curiosity, if you guarantee a few 30+ homer seasons from Beltran and he doesn't deliver, what exactly do you lose?

I lose my right to ever propose stupid pipe-dream trades on WSI ever again.

I'll lay it down right now. If Beltran doesn't have 3 or more 30+ HR seasons by the time he retires, I'll never bore any of you ever again with my senseless drivel.

However, if Beltran does have 3 or more 30+ HR seasons, you must read my posts and, at the very least, feign half-hearted interest in each of them.

The stakes are simply huge. Are you in, Claudel?

ClaudelSleptHere
07-17-2004, 02:59 AM
Of course I am in. I feel as if I have nothing to lose. I always enjoy drivel, senseless or otherwise. The difficult part will be feigning half-hearted interest, but I have at least three years to master that. I hope I lose, especially if Beltran somehow ends up on the south side.

SSN721
07-17-2004, 10:24 AM
All I have to say is after the news about Big Frank I hope that we do the best we can to obtain Beltran if houston makes him available. I am just worried about what we will have to give up with Houston knowing that we would need him badly. :(:

harwar
07-17-2004, 10:38 AM
Because Beltran is exactly the player that this team need. This organization is stacked with corner outfielders and we haven't had a good centerfielder since April 2002 when Kenny Lofton tore the cover off the ball. Also, Carlos is 4-5 years younger than Magglio.
I couldn't agree more.This guy is the spark that this club needs to get going.
Its only for this year but next year never seems to come anyway.