PDA

View Full Version : Wood's Suspension

mcfish
07-13-2004, 03:51 PM
What happened to Wood's suspension? I thought he had to serve it when he came off the DL.
I posted this question in The Cardinals thread, and no one knew. I'm hoping that someone with the answer just didn't see the thread because I was of the theory that Wood would have to serve his 5 game suspension when he came off the DL. Does anyone know what happened with that?

Mickster
07-13-2004, 04:08 PM
I posted this question in The Cardinals thread, and no one knew. I'm hoping that someone with the answer just didn't see the thread because I was of the theory that Wood would have to serve his 5 game suspension when he came off the DL. Does anyone know what happened with that?My understanging of the matter is this:

Wood filed an appeal to the suspension. When he injured his arm in LA, the appeal was pending. During the time he was pulled from the game in LA up until he was placed on the DL, he withdrew his appeal and was attempting to serve his suspension at a time when he was injured but not yet on the DL.

But the Cubs needed another pitcher on the 25 man roster so he was forced to go on the DL before he was able to "serve" his suspension. He still has 5 days of his suspension to serve. I can only assume that he has once again appealed since coming off the DL since he was allowed to pitch Sunday.

RKMeibalane
07-13-2004, 05:02 PM
My understanging of the matter is this:

Wood filed an appeal to the suspension. When he injured his arm in LA, the appeal was pending. During the time he was pulled from the game in LA up until he was placed on the DL, he withdrew his appeal and was attempting to serve his suspension at a time when he was injured but not yet on the DL.

But the Cubs needed another pitcher on the 25 man roster so he was forced to go on the DL before he was able to "serve" his suspension. He still has 5 days of his suspension to serve. I can only assume that he has once again appealed since coming off the DL since he was allowed to pitch Sunday.
I wouldn't be surprised if MLB actually forgot that he was supposed to serve his suspension.

Tekijawa
07-13-2004, 05:33 PM
I believe it's addresses in the second half of this article:

http://216.109.117.135/search/cache?p=kerry+wood%2C+suspension&u=msnbc.msn.com/id/4999322&w=kerry+wood+suspension&d=4AD96B2987&c=482&yc=59159&icp=1:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

soxwon
07-13-2004, 07:11 PM
My understanging of the matter is this:

he was suspended april 17
i think they forgot!!!

TDog
07-13-2004, 11:33 PM
In Alaska, criminal defendants sentenced to serve more than two years in prison have the opportunity to appeal their sentences for review, with with understanding that longer sentences can be applied if the higher court feels they are justified.

If baseball's collective bargaining agreement addressed suspensions and appeals in a similar manner, it shut down the joke that is the appeals process, that essentially allows players to serve their suspensions whenever they see fit.

I'm sure Tony LaRussa didn't forget Wood was suspended.

RKMeibalane
07-13-2004, 11:36 PM
he was suspended april 17
i think they forgot!!!
Major League Baseball needs to to get its head out of its ass and get a real commissioner. I know I keep saying that, but Selig has got to go.

Rex Hudler
07-14-2004, 01:17 AM
Major League Baseball needs to to get its head out of its ass and get a real commissioner. I know I keep saying that, but Selig has got to go.
What does that have to do with this situation?? The article said that the suspension is still pending. Players have the right to appeal a suspension. He'll miss one start at some point.

kjhanson
07-14-2004, 11:00 AM
8. Snap-time for Woody: Cubs starter Kerry Wood is ejected for arguing with plate umpire Eric Cooper over two close calls during the ninth inning of a 3-2 loss to Cincinnati. Wood charged Cooper, but didn't bump him.

"It made me nervous, because Woody had a full head of steam," Baker says, recalling Antonio Alfonseca's belly bump of Justin Klemm in '03.

"I don't have his boiler yet," Wood says.

Wood gets a five-game suspension that is still on appeal

This taken from a recent article on Chicagosports.com

bigfoot
07-14-2004, 11:12 AM
8. Snap-time for Woody: Cubs starter Kerry Wood is ejected for arguing with plate umpire Eric Cooper over two close calls during the ninth inning of a 3-2 loss to Cincinnati. Wood charged Cooper, but didn't bump him.

"It made me nervous, because Woody had a full head of steam," Baker says, recalling Antonio Alfonseca's belly bump of Justin Klemm in '03.

"I don't have his boiler yet," Wood says.

Wood gets a five-game suspension that is still on appeal

This taken from a recent article on Chicagosports.comFor once I agree with Dusty Toothpicks, Wood DOES have a 'full head of steam', and little else. Which is why he'll never be a great pitcher, a good one perhaps, but not great.

Tekijawa
07-14-2004, 11:31 AM
But he's lead us into the Golden age of Baseball... Nothing has Ever been better than RIGHT NOW!