PDA

View Full Version : What About the Tradition of the Expos?

Brian26
07-13-2004, 02:27 PM
Everyone's worried about bringing back the Senators to DC. What about keeping the Expos name, even if it means they play in another city?

The franchise has now been around for 35 years. Although they've never won a World Title, they've had plenty of teams that were capable of it, given some breaks ('94, '80, '81). They've had some big names through the years: Raines, Dawson, Carter, Oliver, Johnson, Vlad, Pedro. It's amazing how much talent that organization has produced in the past 25 years.

If MLB needs to move the Expos out of there permanently, then at least keep the name. "Expos" is such a unique name for a sports team, anyway, does it really matter what city they play in? Is Washington any less known for expositions as Montreal?

Baby Fisk
07-13-2004, 02:43 PM
Forget it Brian. Montreal's true claim to baseball greatness is in its historic minor league franchise, the Royals:

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/pages/?id=30

Expos is the stupidest team name in all of baseball. Beyond that curiosity, it has no redeeming quality. Creating a DC Expos or Norfolk Expos franchise would be as stupid as moving the Brooklyn franchise to LA and keeping the name Dodgers...

RKMeibalane
07-13-2004, 04:04 PM
What tradition? All I remember about ancient Expos history is those ugly uniforms they wore through the 1991 season.

Brian26
07-13-2004, 04:07 PM
What tradition? All I remember about ancient Expos history is those ugly uniforms they wore through the 1991 season.

Gosh, nobody ever wore ugly uniforms in the 80's.

RKMeibalane
07-13-2004, 04:09 PM
Gosh, nobody ever wore ugly uniforms in the 80's.
:reinsy

"We didn't. The 'Einhorn E' is the greatest logo of all time."

Brian26
07-13-2004, 04:11 PM
Same uni that had poor Larry Himes dishing out fines for guys who didn't have their blue stirrup properly exposed.

Baby Fisk
07-13-2004, 04:45 PM
Same uni that had poor Larry Himes dishing out fines for guys who didn't have their blue stirrup properly exposed.Seeing as Dan H has prepared an upcoming book of great moments in Sox history, I wonder where this example would fit on the list of all time moments of shame in Sox history. And would such a list ever be finished??? :(:

Ack! The dark half of my brain is already compiling moments for the list of shame! :mad:

doublem23
07-13-2004, 04:57 PM
Tradition doesn't mean **** if it doesn't flip the bill.

MarkEdward
07-13-2004, 05:24 PM
What tradition? All I remember about ancient Expos history is those ugly uniforms they wore through the 1991 season.The Expos had some pretty darn good players. Rusty Staub (career 124 OPS+) spent his best years playing in Montreal. HOF catcher Gary Carter spent the majority of his career with the Expos. The same can be said for Andre Dawson, one of the best players of the 80s (too bad the Montreal turf destroyed his knees). Guys like Larry Walker, Andres Galarraga, and Randy Johnson began their careers in Montreal. Tim Raines, who should be in the HOF, is probably the Expos' best all-time player. Both Vlad Guerrero and Pedro Martinez had some great years in Montreal ('97 stands out, 221 ERA+!). Sure, the Montreal franchise hasn't been great, but they have quite a history, arguably a brighter one than Seattle. The cancellation of the '94 post-season really hurt the Expos, IMO.

This is just a quibble, but I see nothing wrong with their '91 uniforms. I've always liked that logo.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-13-2004, 07:16 PM
Cromartie, Dawson, and Valentine. That might be the best outfield trio I haver ever seen. How the Expos of the late-70's/early-80's never won a pennant is beyond me.

Mark me down, too, as liking the old Expos uniforms (1969- early-90's) with the M-B-e logo on the left chest. It was very unique, very inspired, and (dare I say it?) very French!

:)

RKMeibalane
07-13-2004, 09:12 PM
Cromartie, Dawson, and Valentine. That might be the best outfield trio I haver ever seen. How the Expos of the late-70's/early-80's never won a pennant is beyond me.

Mark me down, too, as liking the old Expos uniforms (1969- early-90's) with the M-B-e logo on the left chest. It was very unique, very inspired, and (dare I say it?) very French!

Andre Dawson went on record as saying that Ellis Valentine had the best outfield arm of any player he'd ever seen. I saw a few highlights of Valentine from an old video. He did have a cannon. I wonder how he stacks up with some of the other great outfielders of that generation.

DSpivack
07-13-2004, 09:53 PM

pic? or link of pic of uniforms? I've never seen 'em, as I'm a youngin' of 20.

doublem23
07-13-2004, 09:59 PM
I think these are what they're talking about...
http://www.abdcards.com/rbtrains.jpghttp://espn.go.com/media/mlb/2003/0205/photo/expos.jpg

PaleHoseGeorge
07-14-2004, 06:42 AM
I think these are what they're talking about...
http://www.abdcards.com/rbtrains.jpghttp://espn.go.com/media/mlb/2003/0205/photo/expos.jpgYes, that's the uniform I'm talking about. The "M" is actually an "M" and an "e" and a "b" standing for Montreal Expos Baseball. The rounded numerals were quite distinctive back in the day, too.

The Expos' uniform style was basically unchanged for 20 years. The original 1969 version had a thin line of piping around the collar and sleeves. I can still see Rusty Staub wearing his on my Topps baseball card. Those giant (and ugly) stripes weren't added until much later. Then they changed everything in the early 90's and it was not a change for the better, IMO.

Original Expos uniforms, c'est manifique!

:hawk
"Fiesty, if I worked in Quebec that would be my homerun call."

Realist
07-14-2004, 07:13 AM
Andre Dawson went on record as saying that Ellis Valentine had the best outfield arm of any player he'd ever seen. I saw a few highlights of Valentine from an old video. He did have a cannon. I wonder how he stacks up with some of the other great outfielders of that generation.
Oh sure. Jose Valentine gets no respect while Ellis gets nothing but raves. Maybe Jose was right. Mom always did like Ellis best.

:neener:

jackbrohamer
07-14-2004, 12:33 PM
IIRC the two times they had their best shot were strike years: 1981 & 1994. If there is such a thing as an Expos fan, it must suck to be one.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-14-2004, 12:58 PM
IIRC the two times they had their best shot were strike years: 1981 & 1994. If there is such a thing as an Expos fan, it must suck to be one.The Expos came just 1 victory from the World Series in 1981. That's the year they added a round of playoffs because of the mid-season strike. (first-half vs. second-half division champs). The Expos beat the defending world champion Phillies and had the Dodgers down 2 games to 1, but lost the NLCS. It would be another 14 years before any team needed to advance 2 rounds to reach the World Series.

The 1994 Expos had the best record in all of baseball. Sox Fans know too well what happened that year. :angry:

Speaking of teams that got screwed, how about the 1981 Reds? They had the best overall record in all of baseball, yet they didn't make the playoffs, even with an extra round adding 4 extra teams, because commissioner Bowie Kuhn gave the spots to first-half and second-half champions only.

And who were the teams that snuck into the playoffs at the expense of the Reds? The Astros (who played and won 1 more game than the Reds for second-half champ) and the Dodgers (who played and won 1 more game than the Reds for first-half champ). Besides slipping past the Reds and Expos, the Dodgers won the whole thing, finally beating the Yankees for the world championship.

Bowie Kuhn was one serious idiot.

There is nothing wrong with Montreal as a major league baseball city. MLB flourished there for over 20 years, a much longer period than it ever has in other towns, Milwaukee for example where our current commissioner has made an unholy mess of things. In fact, Montreal serves as a nice distraction for the commissioner to take the national headlines away from his own mistakes created in his own minor league town.

There is no substitute for brains, and Expos fans will unfortunately pay the price for the mismanagement of their franchise.

jackbrohamer
07-14-2004, 02:22 PM
Bowie Kuhn was one serious idiot.
He certainly screwed the Reds that year. I remember talk in 1981 about letting every team play in some kind of playoff tournament. That would have been a hell of a lot more interesting than what they went with.

pythons007
07-14-2004, 03:20 PM
Stop reading this thread
:dtroll:

PaleHoseGeorge
07-14-2004, 06:09 PM
Montreal deserves a major league franchise 1000-times more than Washington, D.C. They've only ever gotten one. D.C. has already squandered two, and still has another one right down the road in Baltimore.

Cry me a river for everyone who has to travel to Baltimore for their Cal Ripken bobblehead doll.

:whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

minastirith67
07-14-2004, 10:27 PM
Montreal deserves a major league franchise 1000-times more than Washington, D.C. They've only ever gotten one. D.C. has already squandered two, and still has another one right down the road in Baltimore.

Cry me a river for everyone who has to travel to Baltimore for their Cal Ripken bobblehead doll.

:whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:
that park sure is purty though...

SSN721
07-15-2004, 08:39 AM
Yes, that's the uniform I'm talking about. The "M" is actually an "M" and an "e" and a "b" standing for Montreal Expos Baseball. The rounded numerals were quite distinctive back in the day, too.

The Expos' uniform style was basically unchanged for 20 years. The original 1969 version had a thin line of piping around the collar and sleeves. I can still see Rusty Staub wearing his on my Topps baseball card. Those giant (and ugly) stripes weren't added until much later. Then they changed everything in the early 90's and it was not a change for the better, IMO.

Original Expos uniforms, c'est manifique!

:hawk
"Fiesty, if I worked in Quebec that would be my homerun call."

I own one fo the current road greys. I think those are rather classy. Their home uniforms look awful in my opinion though, that I woudl agree with. But those old jerseys were fantastic.

Baby Fisk
07-15-2004, 08:53 AM
Too bad there isn't this kind of enthusiasm for the team...in MONTREAL...

The Critic
07-15-2004, 10:56 AM
Forget it Brian. Montreal's true claim to baseball greatness is in its historic minor league franchise, the Royals:

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/pages/?id=30

Expos is the stupidest team name in all of baseball. Beyond that curiosity, it has no redeeming quality. Creating a DC Expos or Norfolk Expos franchise would be as stupid as moving the Brooklyn franchise to LA and keeping the name Dodgers...
Expos is a pretty stupid name, but I give the nod for "dumbest team name" to the New York Metropolitans.