PDA

View Full Version : Article about Randy Johnson

fado
07-13-2004, 12:03 PM
There's a quote in there where he mentions that if he left it would have to be to a serious contender not just a theoretic one. Are the Sox that serious contender? We aren't even mentioned in the article.

Link (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20040712&content_id=797110&vkey=allstar2004&fext=.jsp)

kittle42
07-13-2004, 12:08 PM
:hawk
Repetitive threads.....YES!

I love repetitive threads.

joeynach
07-13-2004, 12:09 PM
There's a quote in there where he mentions that if he left it would have to be to a serious contender not just a theoretic one. Are the Sox that serious contender? We aren't even mentioned in the article.

Link (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20040712&content_id=797110&vkey=allstar2004&fext=.jsp)
Will everyone just shut up about Johnson we are not going to get him and we dont want him. He is due 25 mil over the next two years. Thats a hack of a lot of $$. We dont even have it nor would we want to give that much to one aging player. If we cant even give maggs the 12 or 13 mil why would we give it to Johnson. It seems we have a hard time as it is giving a lot of $$ to one player (Maggs) so why would throw an insance amount at Johnson, it doens't make sense and he is goin to the yanks. NOW STOP THE JOHNSON TO THE SOX TALK!!!!

Wanne
07-13-2004, 12:19 PM
While I agree with ya that I really don't think it would be wise to trade for Johnson...he's NOT going to the Yankees.

Basten
07-13-2004, 12:59 PM
If we cant even give maggs the 12 or 13 mil why would we give it to Johnson!!
Are you serious?

Maybe because Unit is a HOF and one of the biggest names in the game, something that's very important when it comes to those quaint concepts like attendance, ratings (local and national), press, merchandise, etc?

Maybe because Unit will pitch in Game 1 and 4 of ALDS, probably doubling our chances at getting past that round?

Unit's contract is not a problem this year (half of the year is already gone and a lot of money is deferred), and we'll worry about the next when we get there.

rmusacch
07-13-2004, 01:11 PM
While I agree with ya that I really don't think it would be wise to trade for Johnson...he's NOT going to the Yankees.
I think he will end up with either the Red Sox or the Yankees. Why do you say he is not going to the Yankees?

Wanne
07-13-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by Wanne

I think he will end up with either the Red Sox or the Yankees. Why do you say he is not going to the Yankees?

I just think that Johnson's roots are too firmly planted with his family living here on the west coast and going to the yankees or red sox for 2 more seasons...spring training in FLA...I just can't see him doing it. The Angels make the most sense with the fact of Artie Moreno having some deep pockets...RJ would be closer to his family (and he still has a home in the LA area). But on top of that...I really think Jerry Colangelo is still butt-hurt about the David Wells deal from a few years ago when Colangelo had an agreement with him and King George broke a stick off in Colangelo and snagged Wells back. Colangelo has never forgotten that. And lets not forget that Anaheim has much more talent in it's system than the Yankees right now.

harwar
07-13-2004, 01:41 PM
I'd actually be surprised if he stayed with the Dbacks.However:we are not going to be the ones to get him.Whoever gets him will have to pay with money & players.
The White Sox may have some money to spend ,but not that much.
Maybe if we still had the players that we offered for Garcia and threw in crede we might get away with not paying the whole contract but that all belongs in the fantasy baseball section i guess.

habibharu
07-13-2004, 01:41 PM
Will everyone just shut up about Johnson we are not going to get him and we dont want him. He is due 25 mil over the next two years. Thats a hack of a lot of $$. We dont even have it nor would we want to give that much to one aging player. If we cant even give maggs the 12 or 13 mil why would we give it to Johnson. It seems we have a hard time as it is giving a lot of $$ to one player (Maggs) so why would throw an insance amount at Johnson, it doens't make sense and he is goin to the yanks. NOW STOP THE JOHNSON TO THE SOX TALK!!!! maggs is not even close to johnson! johnson is a dominating left handed starter pitcher. maggs is a very good CORNER OF. you cant even compare the two. not to mention the leadership that RJ would bring