PDA

View Full Version : Selig: The game has never been better

Fenway
07-13-2004, 09:29 AM
HOUSTON -- Baseball commissioner Bud Selig is pretty happy with the current state of his game. Standing in a corner of a third-floor ballroom of the Four Seasons Hotel yesterday, he took a deep breath and said, "This is the Golden Era of baseball and someday people will look back on it and say that.

"The game today is not only more successful than it's ever been, it's more popular than it's ever been. They can talk about the Golden Era, but this is it."

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2004/07/13/golden_oldies_mixed_in_with_the_new_exciting?mode= PF

Hangar18
07-13-2004, 10:00 AM
I saw that interview on FOX yesterday. The guys a JackAss.
He has singlehandedly help run the game down the toilet. He talked
about how attendance was up (never mentioning that there are MORE TEAMS
now than there were in the 50's & 60's, so of course Attendance will be up)
when asked about Contraction, he said he doesnt FORESEE it, because the new revenue sharing is HELPING teams (I screamed at the TV, wondering why the BREWERS have the lowest payroll in the MLB) He screwed up an allstar game, screwed up the process of the allstar game (home field advantage)
Let his position interfere with the Draft (allowing The Messiah to become a cub instead of a Twin, thereby COSTING the Twinks a possible WS berth last yr, and more importantly, their NEW STADIUM)
When pressed on how the Revenue MAY NOT BE WORKING, with rich teams CONTINUEING to spend money, He simply said it wasnt a foolproof process,
but they cant make the poor teams spend money (almost pointed at him)
I Immediately thought of the cubs, a team that has been horrible for a majority of the 20th century, and now are suddenly "contenders", simply
because theyre taking advantage of all the smaller market teams that cant afford their players. Good reason why the north side team looks like an allstar squad ................ yeah, thats good for baseball isnt it?

Lip Man 1
07-13-2004, 12:00 PM
Yea his manipulations really slowed down the Yankees spending eh?

Lip

JB98
07-13-2004, 12:46 PM
Selig's next trick will be reversing the rules for interleague play. He's going to have the pitchers hit in the AL parks and have the DH in the NL parks. I just about lost my lunch when I read that in The Sporting News this week. Can you imagine going to the Cell and not being able to see Frank Thomas hit, just so Schoeneweis or some other pitcher could take three weak swings and sit down? I was furious to read of that possibility. I wrote a letter to the editor of The Sporting News to indicate my displeasure. I hope they print it in it's entirety.

Tekijawa
07-13-2004, 01:03 PM
Selig's next trick will be reversing the rules for interleague play. He's going to have the pitchers hit in the AL parks and have the DH in the NL parks. I just about lost my lunch when I read that in The Sporting News this week. Can you imagine going to the Cell and not being able to see Frank Thomas hit, just so Schoeneweis or some other pitcher could take three weak swings and sit down? I was furious to read of that possibility. I wrote a letter to the editor of The Sporting News to indicate my displeasure. I hope they print it in it's entirety.
I like the idea... it gives the fans who don't have the benifit of having 2 teams in their town the ability to see how the other league works... I have no problem with that.

Fenway
07-13-2004, 01:03 PM
Actually I would love to see NL rules at Fenway Park. I will cut Selig some slack on this.

Plus it means we would have the DH at 1060 W Addison next year. Ortiz will go nuts there.