PDA

View Full Version : Rogers Latest on Chicagosports.com

owensmouth
07-13-2004, 03:23 AM
Phil Rogers is still thinking of the Big Unit and/or Beltran for the Sox:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-040712rogers,1,1678886.column?coll=cs-columnists

Either one would be nice.

Aidan
07-13-2004, 04:06 AM
Beltran would be nice but RJ would make a bigger impact for us. If Aaron Rowand continues to hit like he has been, we probably don't need Beltran that badly. RJ would make us a threat.

StillMissOzzie
07-13-2004, 04:15 AM
Phil Rogers is still thinking of the Big Unit and/or Beltran for the Sox:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-040712rogers,1,1678886.column?coll=cs-columnists

Either one would be nice.
I think Rogers is wishing that the Astros dump Beltran to take them out of the NL wild card hunt.

SMO
:gulp:

Iguana775
07-13-2004, 09:23 AM
I think Rogers is wishing that the Astros dump Beltran to take them out of the NL wild card hunt.

SMO
:gulp:
IMO, they are out of it. I just dont see them being a factor in the NLC.

jabrch
07-13-2004, 09:25 AM
Beltran would be nice but RJ would make a bigger impact for us. If Aaron Rowand continues to hit like he has been, we probably don't need Beltran that badly. RJ would make us a threat.
If Frank is out for an extended amount of time, or if he isn't gonna be back 100%, then I'd go for Beltran. He could play CF, Crash could play RF and Magglio could DH all season while recovering from his knee. Our OF gets significantly better (Rowand is a decent defensive RF, but no so defensively in CF) and Beltran is very very good defensively.

If Frank will be back in 2 weeks, then it probably isn't worth paying the price Beltran would cost.

Maximo
07-13-2004, 10:14 AM
IMO the Sox still have two needs to be a serious threat for "all the marbles".

One more offensive threat in the batting order and one more starting pitcher.

Being that I don't think they have enough money and/or prospects to solve both....I lean toward bringing in one more bat....preferably Beltran's.
He is the one player who "might be available" that is worth sacrificing what might be left of our prospects.

I'm resigned to the fact that we can "get by" with the catching trinity as it presently exists. Randy Johnson is too expensive in terms of what we would have to give up to get him.

If Beltran is not available....then we move into the Steve Finley, Jeromy Burnitz, Carl Everett sections of the Department Store.

delben91
07-13-2004, 10:14 AM
If Frank is out for an extended amount of time, or if he isn't gonna be back 100%, then I'd go for Beltran. He could play CF, Crash could play RF and Magglio could DH all season while recovering from his knee. Our OF gets significantly better (Rowand is a decent defensive RF, but no so defensively in CF) and Beltran is very very good defensively.

If Frank will be back in 2 weeks, then it probably isn't worth paying the price Beltran would cost.

Just something to remember: Beltran is a free-agent at the end of the year and his agent is Scott Boras. He'd be the poster-child of 3 month rentals for the Sox.

Randar68
07-13-2004, 11:17 AM
Just something to remember: Beltran is a free-agent at the end of the year and his agent is Scott Boras. He'd be the poster-child of 3 month rentals for the Sox.
And 2 draft picks. Isn't Boras Shingo's agent?

soxnut
07-13-2004, 11:56 AM
If Beltran is ot a viable option, I would like to see Finley as the next option, and then Carl Everett, who I wish never left in the first place. As for pitching, I don't think ther'es much out there besides RJ, and that would be expensive.

Whatever happens, I'm sure KW is working on a deal. I think he's just as sick and tired of not having a championship since 1917 as we are.

Baby Fisk
07-13-2004, 12:07 PM
Whatever happens, I'm sure KW is working on a deal. I think he's just as sick and tired of not having a championship since 1917 as we are."...just so long as we don't mortgage the future..."

I hate when people say that. :angry:

pearso66
07-13-2004, 01:00 PM
Beltran might be able to be had for what Houston gave up. If he's available at all. A pitcher, and a catcher. maybe Ben Davis and Jon Rauch/Diaz?

jackbrohamer
07-13-2004, 01:23 PM
Beltran might be able to be had for what Houston gave up. If he's available at all. A pitcher, and a catcher. maybe Ben Davis and Jon Rauch/Diaz?
Houston may think they're still in it, especially if they fire the idiot who currently manages them.

JB98
07-13-2004, 01:31 PM
Houston may think they're still in it, especially if they fire the idiot who currently manages them.
I agree. They are only four out of the NL wildcard. I doubt they will cash it in, unless they open the second half with a 7-game losing streak and fall completely out of it by July 31.

I don't think we need Beltran anyway. I agree with previous posters who would like another bat if Frank is going to be out for an extended period of time. However, I think Finley or Crazy Carl would suffice, and both would come at a much cheaper price than Beltran. If KW intends to make another big splash with a trade, I hope he adds pitching. We really need some help in the bullpen. I trust Shingo; I have faith in Marte. After that, we are rolling the dice. I would love to add RJ to the rotation, but I doubt we can outbid the Angels. Further, I think the 'pen is a more pressing need than the rotation at this stage.

habibharu
07-13-2004, 01:37 PM
our rotation would be unbelieveble if we got RJ. having two lefties like him and buehrle would be awesome. and according to rogers all it would take is a guy like cotts or diaz, and a brian anderson.

jabrch
07-13-2004, 01:40 PM
our rotation would be unbelieveble if we got RJ. having two lefties like him and buehrle would be awesome. and according to rogers all it would take is a guy like cotts or diaz, and a brian anderson.
and at least 24mm over the next two years - plus more as he is reported to have wanted a 2 year extension to waive his no-trade clause.

Flight #24
07-13-2004, 01:46 PM
and at least 24mm over the next two years - plus more as he is reported to have wanted a 2 year extension to waive his no-trade clause.
He explicitly denied that in interviews yesterday.