PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch @ All-Star Break 7/12/04

Hangar18
07-12-2004, 05:07 PM
The Medias beloved Flubbies have had a hard time trying to snub the WhiteSox, with the SOX nearly getting the same amount of coverage as the Flubs the last week and a half. Very nice to see, except with the renewed and heightened attention the SOX have been getting nationally, Chicagos Media have chosen to Blemish the attention by Bringing up again the Fan Incidents at The Cell, and of course IGNORING the incidents at the "Shrine". Took a little break from WSI, was very ANGRY at the SOX and Ozz for playing like Chumps and giving away the Series against that other team. Im still a bit bitter, the series sweep of the Mariners helps ...........................

Cubune since last monday 7/5
27 cub stories
33 sox stories
Cub-Times since last monday 7/5
22 cub stories
30 sox stories

Standings since Spring Training .........
CUBS 1068
SOX 784

Flight #24
07-12-2004, 05:16 PM
The Medias beloved Flubbies have had a hard time trying to snub the WhiteSox, with the SOX nearly getting the same amount of coverage as the Flubs the last week and a half. Very nice to see, except with the renewed and heightened attention the SOX have been getting nationally, Chicagos Media have chosen to Blemish the attention by Bringing up again the Fan Incidents at The Cell, and of course IGNORING the incidents at the "Shrine". Took a little break from WSI, was very ANGRY at the SOX and Ozz for playing like Chumps and giving away the Series against that other team. Im still a bit bitter, the series sweep of the Mariners helps ...........................

Cubune since last monday 7/5
27 cub stories
33 sox stories
Cub-Times since last monday 7/5
22 cub stories
30 sox stories

Standings since Spring Training .........
CUBS 1068
SOX 784
And, of course little mention in today's stories of the Sox having excellent prospects to win the division since they're in first place....but somehow the Cubs winning a game and being "only" 7 out merits a lot of talk about how they're still in the race, the momentum that game gave them, etc. (Because 1-game win streaks are known to provide HUGE momentum). Note that the Cubs are also only a game out of the WC......as are the Sox, but of course you'd never know that from the paper unless you look at the box scores and figure it yourself.

JB98
07-12-2004, 05:26 PM
I think the media reaction to the Cubs' recent slide is quite comical. Usually in situations like this, the media would criticize the manager and tee off on the players for their uninspired effort. Instead, the media have been like cheerleaders at a pep rally. I read Morrissey's column in the Cubune today, and I think the main idea was, "C'mon Cubbies! Don't give up! We still believe in you! We can do this!" It would really be heartwarming if it wasn't so sickening. Dusty Baker could shoot the pope, and he'd still get a free pass in this city.

This year, the media were banking on a Cubbie Blue Summer of Love, where the White Sox suck and the Cardinals roll over and play dead. Unfortunately for our friends at the Cubune and Cub Times, the fantasy has not become a reality. Could the Cubs go on a second half run? Maybe, but rest assured that the Sox, the Cardinals and maybe even the Brewers will be around to serve as foils to the "guaranteed championship season" on the North side.

Unregistered
07-12-2004, 05:46 PM
Take a look at the front page of Chicagosports.com - there's your media watch.

HUGE picture of "Carrie Woods" with "Wood's Return Ends Skid" in big 36 point type. Underneath you'll find a few Cubbie Kool-Aid stories.

Next big story, the Sox in first place at the All-Star break, sweeping the Mariners with their ex-pitcher on the mound? Nope. Ditka's Senate run.

Only after those two groundbreaking events do the Sox get a mention.

I'm not one to wear a tin-foil hat, but this is pretty crappy "journalism.''

TornLabrum
07-12-2004, 05:56 PM

HUGE picture of "Carrie Woods" with "Wood's Return Ends Skid" in big 36 point type. Underneath you'll find a few Cubbie Kool-Aid stories.

Next big story, the Sox in first place at the All-Star break, sweeping the Mariners with their ex-pitcher on the mound? Nope. Ditka's Senate run.

Only after those two groundbreaking events do the Sox get a mention.

I'm not one to wear a tin-foil hat, but this is pretty crappy "journalism.''

:knue

"In our judgment as professionals in the editorial field, the Cubs being 7 games out of first and a game out in the Wild Card is the most important story of the new millennium. The fact that a former Bears coach might possibly at some time in the next few weeks if a huge story, but not quite as important as the Cubs. The White Sox in first place at the All-Star Break is far from noteworthy since no one ever goes to their ball park anyway, except for drooling cretins who like to tackle opposing coaches or pants umpires."

maurice
07-12-2004, 06:13 PM
The Chicago media's defensiveness with respect to the cubs' failure to dominate is just the latest manifestation of the inferiority complex held by all cub fans. They're understandibly aggravated, given their consistently overrated team's inability to post consecutive winning seasons over the past two decades, and the fact that they lost 95+ games twice in the last four years alone. Meanwhile, the Sox haven't posted a single losing record over those same four years (aka the entire 21st century!).

C-Dawg
07-12-2004, 06:55 PM
drooling cretins

Hey, I resemble that remark! Heh heh!!

DaveIsHere
07-12-2004, 07:34 PM
Hey, I resemble that remark! Heh heh!!
I "resemble" that remark.....hhhmmmm interesting, I would have thought that you may resent that remark....oh well there is a Sox fan for ya:D:

pearso66
07-12-2004, 09:02 PM
I was reading a story on chicagosports.com, and 1/2 way down or so, there was a headline of "Frank just being Frank" And saying how he's not with the team since he's injured. I don't know if its a rip or not, but it sounds like one. Do they realyl need to say that he's not there?

Cubbiesuck13
07-13-2004, 01:18 AM
glad to see the media watch back. i predicted the headlines last night. i'm glad to see i am still telepathic

boy do i really hate the cubs. this next half year, when they are all healthy and still failing to win is going to be the best in recent history. having an easy out like injuries is not as much fun as having them make stuff out of thin air, as i have said since before the year started.

jackbrohamer
07-13-2004, 02:20 AM

Hey, the editor of chicagosports.com explained this on this board a few weeks ago, and I think I now undersand.

So here goes: The murder outside Wrigley Field was not "sports" news because it happened outside the friendly confines. Likewise, most of the Sox's wins and losses happen outside Wrigley so, like the Wrigley murder, they are not "sports" news and do not warrant coverage on chicagosports.com; thus the Sox games get whatever scraps are left after chicagosports.com completes its full coverage of the Tribune's sister company --- the Cubs.

But any fan incident at the Cell is "sports" news that warrants full, continuous coverage on the website. And the remainder of such fans' lives warrant coverage on the website because they are so intricately connected with the Sox thenceforth.

Or something. I'd put this in teal but I think this is pretty close to what the guy wrote.