PDA

View Full Version : Kanye to the....

bennyw41
07-12-2004, 03:04 PM
As I was listening to Kanye West's CD, I was thinking of a great idea, in my opinoin. What if the sox were to approach him, or any other famous person and try to use them in a marketing scheme? I know that many people don't like Rap or Hip Hop, but think of it in any celebrity likeness. I just think it'd be cool if we got our name out there more, and having Kanye West, or Twista, or anyone promoting the Sox would rule. Just a thought..

skottyj242
07-12-2004, 03:09 PM
I wouldn't want them to spend money to "rent" a celebrity likeness. If they use someone famous in an ad I want a true fan, not someone looking for a quick buck.

StepsInSC
07-12-2004, 03:17 PM
As I was listening to Kanye West's CD, I was thinking of a great idea, in my opinoin. What if the sox were to approach him, or any other famous person and try to use them in a marketing scheme? I know that many people don't like Rap or Hip Hop, but think of it in any celebrity likeness. I just think it'd be cool if we got our name out there more, and having Kanye West, or Twista, or anyone promoting the Sox would rule. Just a thought..
Is Twista from the southside too?

bennyw41
07-12-2004, 03:18 PM
I wouldn't want them to spend money to "rent" a celebrity likeness. If they use someone famous in an ad I want a true fan, not someone looking for a quick buck.
I agree. That's why I started with the idea of South Side's finest...Kanye

bennyw41
07-12-2004, 03:19 PM
Is Twista from the southside too?K Town. He is South Side for sure.

VA_GoGoSox
07-12-2004, 03:26 PM
It would have been a cool marketing gimmick for the sox (and Kanye) to use their last pick to draft him. It would have made national news, increased our visibility and might have made for some good commercials (fake press conferences etc...).

Then again, Mike Piazza was a late pick IIRC. Maybe we wouldn't want to miss out on a player like that just for a marketing gimmick.:D:

Dadawg_77
07-12-2004, 03:27 PM
It would have been a cool marketing gimmick for the sox (and Kanye) to use their last pick to draft him. It would have made national news, increased our visibility and might have made for some good commercials (fake press conferences etc...).

Then again, Mike Piazza was a late pick IIRC. Maybe we wouldn't want to miss out on a player like that just for a marketing gimmick.:D:
But then we couldn't take Kenny's Kid or Ron's Daughter.

VA_GoGoSox
07-12-2004, 03:38 PM
But then we couldn't take Kenny's Kid or Ron's Daughter.
I Heard Ron's daughter threw a no-no for Birmingham the other night

patbooyah
07-12-2004, 04:44 PM
i like kanye cause in "all falls down" he says:

south side, south side-----------------------
west side, west side -----------------------
chi town, chi town ----------------------
but makes no mention of the north side.

bennyw41
07-12-2004, 04:50 PM

No, his best Chitown song is you're sig.

Mickster
07-12-2004, 04:53 PM
Here's a better idea......

Make a few IMPACT moves at the trade deadline, re-sign your right fielder, make it to the post-season and win some games.

How's that for a marketing scheme?

bennyw41
07-12-2004, 05:13 PM
Here's a better idea......

Make a few IMPACT moves at the trade deadline, re-sign your right fielder, make it to the post-season and win some games.

How's that for a marketing scheme?
For an outside the box idea....it sucks.

patbooyah
07-12-2004, 05:34 PM
No, his best Chitown song is you're sig.
why a-thank you

soxnut
07-12-2004, 06:28 PM
Um no............ But I do think it's time for Rap/Hip-hop demolition night.:gulp: :bandance:

ZachAL
07-12-2004, 06:57 PM

don't forget he mentions the "east side" which, as far as i know, doesnt exist besides the lake, but still no north side

soxnut
07-12-2004, 07:01 PM
don't forget he mentions the "east side" which, as far as i know, doesnt exist besides the lake, but still no north side
The southeast side is often referred to as the east side.

WhiteSoxFan84
07-12-2004, 07:17 PM
kanye doesn't like baseball. he's a christian man and after what pete rose did, he has stayed away from baseball.

moving right along, i think it would be wise to hire dave chapelle and will ferrell to do commentary and PBP for the Sox. Tell me we wouldn't at least triple our ratings?

here's a sample of the commentary....

ferrell: "you know i was walking around the hotel last nite with my pants down and i ran into don cooper. i wasn't sure if he knew who i was so i screamed out 'coop, yer my boy!'. he still didn't know who i was..."

dave: "well will that mite be because you were screaming at tommy la sorda and not don cooper. and by the way, do you always forget to wear underwear?"

ahhh every sox game would be a classic. not only would ratings go up, i think we would have a ton of die hard sox fans. this is the same formula the cubs used to pick up fans, put a confused old man in the booth and have him make a fool out of himself all while the cubs attract millions and millions. so sad.

bennyw41
07-12-2004, 09:41 PM
kanye doesn't like baseball. he's a christian man and after what pete rose did, he has stayed away from baseball.

moving right along, i think it would be wise to hire dave chapelle and will ferrell to do commentary and PBP for the Sox. Tell me we wouldn't at least triple our ratings?

here's a sample of the commentary....

ferrell: "you know i was walking around the hotel last nite with my pants down and i ran into don cooper. i wasn't sure if he knew who i was so i screamed out 'coop, yer my boy!'. he still didn't know who i was..."

dave: "well will that mite be because you were screaming at tommy la sorda and not don cooper. and by the way, do you always forget to wear underwear?"

ahhh every sox game would be a classic. not only would ratings go up, i think we would have a ton of die hard sox fans. this is the same formula the cubs used to pick up fans, put a confused old man in the booth and have him make a fool out of himself all while the cubs attract millions and millions. so sad.
Wow, you must write all their material....:dtroll:

house215
07-13-2004, 12:58 AM
I would be all for that but there is one problem: he is a cub's fan. He said it on the radio.

South Side
07-13-2004, 01:42 AM
I would be all for that but there is one problem: he is a cub's fan. He said it on the radio.
No he didn't! He's from freaking 79th, Rainbow Beach! Ughhh. :angry:

doublem23
07-13-2004, 02:08 AM
Chicago goes all the way to Indiana, man. :smile:

nitetrain8601
07-13-2004, 02:15 AM
Him and Twista are Cub fans.

DSpivack
07-13-2004, 02:19 AM
it's a stretch, but what about common? he's from da south side. not really a big enough name, and i'm biased b/c he's my 2nd favorite rapper.

bartmanismyhero8
07-13-2004, 02:31 AM
i thought twista was from kankakee?

no worries though, who wants people to associate the white sox with terrible music...not I

WhiteSoxFan84
07-13-2004, 05:58 AM
Wow, you must write all their material....:dtroll:

If you don't know, NOW you know.

Did you guys forget that Bernie Mac is a Sox fan? You may have forgotten after he sang the 7th inning stretch at Wrigley last year during the NLCS. Although he was wearing Cubbie blue and yupping it up, let's not forget how he screamed out "LET'S GO CHAMPS!", and then downfall came. He also has a movie called Mr. 3000 coming out (about a baseball player who hits 3,000 hits and retires on the spot. then a baseball historian discovers a flaw that reveals he only has 2,997 hits, so he has to go back to the bigs at the age of 40, seems interesting). He would be a nice fit. True South Sider right there.

ihatethecubs
07-13-2004, 06:13 AM
twista and kanye are lame and extremely mediocre talents at best. they probably dont know a damn thing about baseball and just do whatever's trendy so they say they like the cubs, who cares? all the celeb cub fans are pretty dumb anyways. who cares who likes the cubs, it doesnt matter, because a guy named mckinley morganfield was a true sox fan who followed the team. you might know him as MUDDY WATERS. sorry, there isn't a cooler fan of you're team you can have. plus we got jenny mccarthy too.

bennyw41
07-13-2004, 10:25 AM
If you don't know, NOW you know.

Did you guys forget that Bernie Mac is a Sox fan? You may have forgotten after he sang the 7th inning stretch at Wrigley last year during the NLCS. Although he was wearing Cubbie blue and yupping it up, let's not forget how he screamed out "LET'S GO CHAMPS!", and then downfall came. He also has a movie called Mr. 3000 coming out (about a baseball player who hits 3,000 hits and retires on the spot. then a baseball historian discovers a flaw that reveals he only has 2,997 hits, so he has to go back to the bigs at the age of 40, seems interesting). He would be a nice fit. True South Sider right there.
Bernie Mac is a pronounced Cub Fan. There was an article in ESPN the magazine that says something along the lines of "I gave up on the sox, so I went to the Cubs" A total bandwagoner.

bennyw41
07-13-2004, 10:26 AM
i thought twista was from kankakee?

no worries though, who wants people to associate the white sox with terrible music...not I
K-town is an area of the southside where alll the streets start with a K. Its also called Lawndale I believe.

bennyw41
07-13-2004, 10:26 AM
twista and kanye are lame and extremely mediocre talents at best. they probably dont know a damn thing about baseball and just do whatever's trendy so they say they like the cubs, who cares? all the celeb cub fans are pretty dumb anyways. who cares who likes the cubs, it doesnt matter, because a guy named mckinley morganfield was a true sox fan who followed the team. you might know him as MUDDY WATERS. sorry, there isn't a cooler fan of you're team you can have. plus we got jenny mccarthy too.
No offense, but I don't think Muddy Waters is grabbing the youth movement here.

BigEdWalsh
07-14-2004, 08:09 AM
No offense, but I don't think Muddy Waters is grabbing the youth movement here.
I think you're missing 1hatethecubs' point. Muddy was a TRUE fan. These other morons mentioned are not.
:whistle:

:muddy Electric Mud!

wolcott10
07-14-2004, 01:40 PM
K-town is an area of the southside where alll the streets start with a K. Its also called Lawndale I believe.
I think k-town and Lawndale are mainly on the West Side around Madison.

silhouette
07-14-2004, 05:00 PM
Him and Twista are Cub fans.Unfortunately (or fortunately, I don't like neither) that's true.

However, with them they could be used to help make baseball popular to the African-American community again. I think the Sox should be doing more to attract the African-American community, since the South Side is majority black. This could help big time in the attendance area.

I don't know how the White Sox is marketing towards Latinos (I don't live in Chicago anymore), but I would like to know since there is a good deal of Latinos in the South Side.

Tekijawa
07-14-2004, 05:43 PM
Unfortunately (or fortunately, I don't like neither) that's true.

However, with them they could be used to help make baseball popular to the African-American community again. I think the Sox should be doing more to attract the African-American community, since the South Side is majority black. This could help big time in the attendance area.

I don't know how the White Sox is marketing towards Latinos (I don't live in Chicago anymore), but I would like to know since there is a good deal of Latinos in the South Side.Good lord... I don't know where to start with this one, god I hope you don't work for Brooks Boyer... You must have had a long talk with my Grandma about demographics in Chicago, I'm pretty sure she thought that I was one of only 3 white people living in Chicago!

Palehose13
07-14-2004, 09:51 PM
Agreed. :D:

Are you talking about the streets between Cicero and Pulaski? I don't think so, but I am confused.

silhouette
07-15-2004, 12:55 PM
Good lord... I don't know where to start with this one, god I hope you don't work for Brooks Boyer... You must have had a long talk with my Grandma about demographics in Chicago, I'm pretty sure she thought that I was one of only 3 white people living in Chicago!
No, this is from me growing up in South Side. Nothing but black people where I grew up. But anyways, haven't you read the recent reports that black attendance and black baseball players are declining?

italiancee
07-15-2004, 06:22 PM
K Town. He is South Side for sure.

ktown would be the west side if your black.18th and karlov 12th and kildare.

and kanye isnt even going to release any more albums.hes gunna stick to producing.its ok.remmeber dre and snoop used to wear sox gear all the time

Palehose13
07-15-2004, 06:34 PM

Thanks. I grew up on 82nd and Kilpatrick in the 80's and it sure as heck wasn't black. Mostly white cops and firemen.

NSSoxFan2
07-15-2004, 06:40 PM
There are so many things I want to say about this thread, most of it probably won't come out here though...

First, off I don't like the idea of Kanye West and Twista being used as Sox promoters, for a list of reasons.
1) Kanye West has been a great talent for a while now, about since 1998 when he produced "H to the Izzo" for Jay-Z. After that he remained on the producing end, but would rap every once in a while. He rapped about issues that actually matter. Now that he signed with Roc-A-Fella he has commercialized his music, and it has turned to pure nothing.
2) Twista is going to fizzle. A few songs on his Kamikaze CD were good the other was the same as above, commercialized garbage.
3) Both are sCrUBS fans.

As far as other rappers such as Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg, who were cool up till 1996, they wore Sox hats and Jerseys along with Tupac for a show of loyalty to an affiliation of gangs.

I'm the biggest fan of music, especially meaningful rap(2Pac).
I'm an even bigger Sox fan.

They Don't Mix

italiancee
07-15-2004, 09:43 PM
Thanks. I grew up on 82nd and Kilpatrick in the 80's and it sure as heck wasn't black. Mostly white cops and firemen.
ok i dont understand what your saying.but let me clarify what im saying. KTOWN is a name for alot of neighborhoods that run from north too south along all the "K" STREETS

twista is black. therefor his KTOWN would be around the 16'th and Kildare area which is a black neighborhood.

16th and kildare would be the west side.
82nd and kildare would be the southside.

get it?i was jus sayin how hes from the west side cause someone said the southside

if your mexican K TOWN would be off 26th street (lil village). i didnt mention 82nd at all.so you either didnt read what i said correctly or i cant put together what your saying exactly.

this post shows how i have too much time on my hands.im worried about the game tonight.A'S KILLERRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Palehose13
07-15-2004, 09:49 PM
ok i dont understand what your saying.but let me clarify what im saying. KTOWN is a name for alot of neighborhoods that run from north too south along all the "K" STREETS

twista is black. therefor his KTOWN would be around the 16'th and Kildare area which is a black neighborhood.

16th and kildare would be the west side.
82nd and kildare would be the southside.

get it?i was jus sayin how hes from the west side cause someone said the southside

if your mexican K TOWN would be off 26th street (lil village). i didnt mention 82nd at all.so you either didnt read what i said correctly or i cant put together what your saying exactly.

Easy killer. I was just trying to figure out where this "K-Town" was cause I lived in the K-streets...the far south K-streets. I wasn't trying to be a jerk or anything, just looking for some clarification.

I know that you didn't create the logic, so if someone could explain to me how there could be a "west side" for a group of streets (1 mile long) that run North-South? Wouldn't it be North, Central, and South? :dunno:

bennyw41
07-15-2004, 10:30 PM

and kanye isnt even going to release any more albums.hes gunna stick to producing.its ok.remmeber dre and snoop used to wear sox gear all the time
Kanye is working on his second album, tentivley called Late Registration.