PDA

View Full Version : Ben Davis

E Coast Sox Fan
07-12-2004, 01:46 PM
Seems like Ben Davis is a pretty good defensive catcher. He did a good job of keeping a lot of low pitches in the dirt in front of him on Sunday. Didn't really get an opportunity to view his arm.

At the plate Davis seems really timid and a result he's not attacking the ball. He's a big guy and looks pretty strong, so it seems like he may have some power potential. If he gets some confidence, I wonder if he may have more upside than his career numbers show. Hopefully, he'll improve by spending some time with Greg Walker and Big Frank.

Any thoughts?

thepaulbowski
07-12-2004, 01:50 PM
Seems like Ben Davis is a pretty good defensive catcher. He did a good job of keeping a lot of low pitches in the dirt in front of him on Sunday. Didn't really get an opportunity to view his arm.

At the plate Davis seems really timid and a result he's not attacking the ball. He's a big guy and looks pretty strong, so it seems like he may have some power potential. If he gets some confidence, I wonder if he may have more upside than his career numbers show. Hopefully, he'll improve by spending some time with Greg Walker and Big Frank.

Any thoughts?
Play once every five days can't help his offense any. Maybe he needs to be sent to Charlotte to get some consistant AB's to try and straighten things out.

Frater Perdurabo
07-12-2004, 01:54 PM
Maybe the Sox just need to trade for Jason Kendall, have him bat second, send down both Davis and Burke, and put all this consternation over the catching situation to rest.

WSox8404
07-12-2004, 01:58 PM
Maybe the Sox just need to trade for Jason Kendall, have him bat second, send down both Davis and Burke, and put all this consternation over the catching situation to rest.
This is what I am saying! We would kill two birds with one stone. We would solve our catching problem, and our top of the order problem.

thepaulbowski
07-12-2004, 01:58 PM
Kendall is not worth the money he is owed. His contract is backloaded, big time. Sign Magglio, not trade for Kendall

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1706427

Iguana775
07-12-2004, 02:09 PM
Kendall is not worth the money he is owed. His contract is backloaded, big time. Sign Magglio, not trade for Kendall

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1706427that's why you get Pitt to pick up most of the remaining contract. if they could pick up at least half, I say do it AND resign maggs.

Wanne
07-12-2004, 02:13 PM

Maybe if he didn't stand 5 feet off the plate he'd have a better chance. I don't think I've ever seen a hitter stand THAT far off the plate before. He wouldn't have been able to reach a Moyer backdoor curve with a broom.

skottyj242
07-12-2004, 02:13 PM
Are you guys talking about Ben Dover?

CWSGuy406
07-12-2004, 02:25 PM
Well - with increased attendence, Kenny will now have more money to work with. I really think Kendall in a Sox uni is a possibility.

AOEllis
07-12-2004, 02:35 PM
We do know that if a pitcher has a perfect game going into the eighth, Ben Davis can come in, bunt, and break it up.

Mickster
07-12-2004, 02:37 PM
Maybe the Sox just need to trade for Jason Kendall, have him bat second, send down both Davis and Burke, and put all this consternation over the catching situation to rest.COULDN'T. AGREE. MORE.

OfficerKarkovice
07-12-2004, 02:42 PM
Play once every five days can't help his offense any. Maybe he needs to be sent to Charlotte to get some consistant AB's to try and straighten things out.
Or maybe we could send Burke down to Charlotte where he belongs and let Davis rotate with Alomar. Davis HAS hit at the big league level and I think will eventually work things out and be OK...Burke on the other hand is 32, has never proved he can hit minor league pitching (much less big league pitching) and belongs in AAA.

Fungo
07-12-2004, 03:07 PM
The Sox have sent tapes of him hitting to various hitting guru's to see if they spot anything in his swing. The kid has some talent, no doubt about that. As someone previously mentioned, playing every 5 days doesn't help either.

rmusacch
07-12-2004, 03:09 PM
We do know that if a pitcher has a perfect game going into the eighth, Ben Davis can come in, bunt, and break it up.
I did not understand the consternation over that. Just because a pitcher has a good game going, you do not stop playing.

ScottyTheSoxFan
07-12-2004, 03:09 PM
Or maybe we could send Burke down to Charlotte where he belongs and let Davis rotate with Alomar. Davis HAS hit at the big league level and I think will eventually work things out and be OK...Burke on the other hand is 32, has never proved he can hit minor league pitching (much less big league pitching) and belongs in AAA.
davis HAS hit before, but not much. he batted .259 in 2002, but .236 last year (80 games in both years) he is no more deserving than jamie burke to stay on the club IMO. forget the past, CURRENTLY, BEN DAVIS SUCKS! Jamie Burke and Ben Davis are both no better than 3rd catchers, and Sandy is no better than a backup. Anybody who expects Burke or Davis to hit like a starting catcher is crazy. It isnt going to happen. the club needs to move soon in finding a catcher. and one more thing...

why in the hell is Ben Davis making 1.4 million this season?

kjhanson
07-12-2004, 03:10 PM
The biggest problem in Davis' game right now is obviously his offense, and as Hawk noted yesterday, specifically him pulling off the ball. If you watch him hit, his head's all over the place and it doesn't even seem as though he's looking at the ball. This leads to very weak groundballs or lazy pop-ups off the end of the bat. Luckily though, this is an easy kink to work out and something that I'm sure Greg Walker will address in the very near future. In my opinion, because this is a fixable flaw, Jamie Burke's time is done. He had a nice couple of games in Minnesota, and seems to play hard, but just doesn't have enough talent in my eyes. They also say he can play the OF or 3B, but I've only seen him relegated to C and DH. DH's are a dime a dozen and we can find a much better bat than his to spell him.

DickAllen72
07-12-2004, 03:26 PM

Either Kendall or Javy Lopez. But I like the way you think!

E Coast Sox Fan
07-12-2004, 03:27 PM
Whoever takes over the catching duties for the second half of the season, I hope we at least get comparable to Olivo (whether it is Davis or someone else). I think we'll need it to win the division.

Olivo, Miguel (http://rubin.baseball.sportsline.com/players/playerpage/223565) C SEA14421387261050.26390.30970.4861

kjhanson, I think your description of Ben Davis' at bats yesterday was pretty good. I would add that he seemed to gave up mentally before he even got in the box.

I mean this in the nicest way, but instead of going to PA to look at his new property (according to the Trib.), he should be begging the coaching staff to stick around during the break to work on his swing.

JB98
07-12-2004, 05:51 PM
Whoever takes over the catching duties for the second half of the season, I hope we at least get comparable to Olivo (whether it is Davis or someone else). I think we'll need it to win the division.

Olivo, Miguel (http://rubin.baseball.sportsline.com/players/playerpage/223565) C SEA14421387261050.26390.30970.4861

kjhanson, I think your description of Ben Davis' at bats yesterday was pretty good. I would add that he seemed to gave up mentally before he even got in the box.

I mean this in the nicest way, but instead of going to PA to look at his new property (according to the Trib.), he should be begging the coaching staff to stick around during the break to work on his swing.

They need to make a decision because there is no way any of these 3 players can get in groove playing only once or twice a week. It's not fair to any of them. To me, Burke is the weakest player of the three. I think he is being kept around because Buerhle likes throwing to him. I'm not a big Kendall guy. I think we are dreaming if we think Pittsburgh is going to eat his salary in a trade. The whole purpose of the Pirates wanting to trade him is to save money. It's disingenuous.

Mickster
07-12-2004, 06:04 PM
They need to make a decision because there is no way any of these 3 players can get in groove playing only once or twice a week. It's not fair to any of them. To me, Burke is the weakest player of the three. I think he is being kept around because Buerhle likes throwing to him. I'm not a big Kendall guy. I think we are dreaming if we think Pittsburgh is going to eat his salary in a trade. The whole purpose of the Pirates wanting to trade him is to save money. It's disingenuous.
The Pirates can easily eat some of his salary and replace Kendall with 2 or 3 minor leaguers making 300K per year. Even though they can be paying up to 30 to 40% of his salary, they will still SAVE money and get out from under his contract.

enurb
07-12-2004, 06:19 PM
that's why you get Pitt to pick up most of the remaining contract. if they could pick up at least half, I say do it AND resign maggs.
Here is what's left on Kendall's contract:

2004: $8.0M
2005: $10.0M
2006: $11.0M
2007: $13.0M

Kendall, plainly, is not worth that type of money or anywhere near it. His average OPS over the last 3 years is .733. Also, he has averaged 6 HR over the last 3 years. Please, spare me Kendall for even 1/2 of his contract. It is way too much money that could otherwise be spent on Maggs. Especially since we just spent so much on Garcia. I don't see this happening.

Other, better alternatives are:

Charles Johnson:

2004: $9.0M
2005: $9.0M

Still, way too expensive. The Rockies would have to pick up a ton of it. I don't see that happening.

Zaun -- having himself a year. Cheap.

I 100% agree that Ben Davis is terrible and does not belong on the roster.

Daver
07-12-2004, 06:37 PM
Ben Davis has the same problem Ron Karkovice had, he can't hit a breaking ball.

chisoxray
07-12-2004, 08:07 PM
If we do not get a catcher of good quality we will suffer i hated to see olivo go he had 1 of the best throwing arms going but he gone now we need to replace him kendell is out of the question we won't pay don't give me the stuff that olivo can't call a game not many catchers do they get it from the dugout just watch any game you see it all the time so ok kw pull some magic and get us a decent catcher

OEO Magglio
07-12-2004, 08:33 PM
Either Kendall or Javy Lopez. But I like the way you think!Javy Lopez is exactly what the sox DON'T need. Sure he's a good hitter but he's another right handed power hitter the sox don't need another one of those type of players on the sox. Kendall I would love to have but no to Javy Lopez.

elrod
07-12-2004, 11:50 PM
Zaun would be a decent pickup. His CS% is 34 and he's hitting .304, his best since batting .320 in 2001 for KC. Either way it's better than what we have now. And he wouldn't be worth much.