PDA

View Full Version : man soo lee

inta
07-12-2004, 01:43 AM
So i traded in some TO rainout tickets on friday and got row 3 section 149, near the bullpen.

during M's batting practice Man Soo Lee was calling down kids in the area wearing sox shirts and giving them free baseballs, one of them i noticed was signed by the bullpen.

jealously aside, this guy gets huge respect in my book from now on. it'd be so easy for him to hide in the bullpen untill needed. instead he comes out, barely able to speak english, socializes with season ticket holders and gives kids momentos that they'll remember forever.

big up the babe ruth of the korean league.

DrCrawdad
07-12-2004, 02:55 AM
So i traded in some TO rainout tickets on friday and got row 3 section 149, near the bullpen.

during M's batting practice Man Soo Lee was calling down kids in the area wearing sox shirts and giving them free baseballs, one of them i noticed was signed by the bullpen.

jealously aside, this guy gets huge respect in my book from now on. it'd be so easy for him to hide in the bullpen untill needed. instead he comes out, barely able to speak english, socializes with season ticket holders and gives kids momentos that they'll remember forever.

big up the babe ruth of the korean league.

I've seen this too. Whatever they pay Lee is a good investment.

Mohoney
07-12-2004, 03:26 AM
I've seen this too. Whatever they pay Lee is a good investment.

As far as I'm concerned, he can PLAY on this team. He's got to be able to hit better than .077 just on sheer luck!

DC Sox Fan
07-12-2004, 09:11 AM
When I caught a game in B-more this year I was hanging out above the pen. I heard someone yelling from the pen, looked down and Man Soo pointed to his hat ( I was wearing a Sox one) gave me a big thumbs up and tossed me up a ball. REAL class act!

bennyw41
07-12-2004, 10:16 AM
I really enjoy him too, but what was the deal with him not coming back or something before the year? Anyone remember this?

Blob
07-12-2004, 10:18 AM
He does seem to be a good guy! He always stops on his way to the pen before the game starts, puts down his gear and starts signing and giving balls away to kids.

Class act all the way!

Dadawg_77
07-12-2004, 10:26 AM
I really enjoy him too, but what was the deal with him not coming back or something before the year? Anyone remember this?
He was leaving the Sox for a managing gig in Korean league. The deal fell apart and it didn't look like the Sox were going to bring him back. Well we know the rest of the story.

I saw him once playing rock paper scissors with kids for balls, if you beat him you got one, if you lost you didn't. The fence over pen was crowed with kids trying to get a chance to play. You know the Sox should use Lee to market to Chicago Korean communittee, good become a nice market base on the Northside for the team.

NonetheLoaiza
07-12-2004, 10:34 AM
I love Man Soo. He is a huge fan favorite because he does stuff like that all the time. He waves and tries to talk to people. To me, its the little stuff like that that makes a first class organization.

TaylorStSox
07-12-2004, 12:16 PM
I wish he could hit. :redneck

Harris=God
07-12-2004, 12:20 PM
a few years back Man soo lee autographed a ball for me but then bob howry took it from him and autographed it too before i got it:smile:

hawkjt
07-12-2004, 12:42 PM
After Friday nites game he came walking down the left field line and a bunch of fans were greeting him and he was signing and laughing and entertaining the kids. I wondered what was up with his popularity and now I know.

Soxzilla
07-12-2004, 01:06 PM
a few years back Man soo lee autographed a ball for me but then bob howry took it from him and autographed it too before i got it:smile:
I miss big bob.:(:

WSox8404
07-12-2004, 01:15 PM
Who exactly is he and what did he do earlier in life? He is a mystery man to me.

Blob
07-12-2004, 01:32 PM
Who exactly is he and what did he do earlier in life? He is a mystery man to me.
He is the Sox bullpen catcher.

WSox8404
07-12-2004, 02:01 PM
He is the Sox bullpen catcher.
Yeah I always knew that but that is not the question. Where did he come from and what did he do before he worked as our bullpen catcher.

sendimjoey
07-12-2004, 02:04 PM
Man-Soo Lee is like the mayor of the bullpen. I've sat near the bullpen a few times this year, and he's great. I love the way he recognizes the season-ticket holders -- they introduce their friends to him. If someone handed him a baby, I'm sure he'd kiss the infant's cheek.

The last game of the Atlanta series, when they unveiled Southpaw for our viewing enjoyment and let out all those balloons, a group of them got wrapped around the left-field foul pole. The first time he climbed up there, the wind blew them out of his reach. He waited, and a minute later, he was able to snag them. He got a rousing ovation.

He's a great ambassador for the Sox. :D:

skottyj242
07-12-2004, 02:12 PM
Man Soo was the Korean Hank Aaron. He was the MVP of the Korean League in 1983 and won the triple crown in 1984. I'm not sure which on is which they might be reversed. I've sat behind the bull pen for five seasons now and he know me and the people I sit with. He's given me at least two dozen baseballs over the years. The only thing I hate is when he's warming up a pitcher and kids come down to try to get a ball from him. The guy only works maybe two innings a game, leave him alone. And for anyone near a t.v. right now you can see Man Soo catching the home run derby from last year on ESPN.

Mohoney
07-12-2004, 02:49 PM
Man Soo was the Korean Hank Aaron. He was the MVP of the Korean League in 1983 and won the triple crown in 1984. I'm not sure which on is which they might be reversed. I've sat behind the bull pen for five seasons now and he know me and the people I sit with. He's given me at least two dozen baseballs over the years. The only thing I hate is when he's warming up a pitcher and kids come down to try to get a ball from him. The guy only works maybe two innings a game, leave him alone. And for anyone near a t.v. right now you can see Man Soo catching the home run derby from last year on ESPN.

So he DIDN'T win an MVP when he won the Triple Crown?

I guess they are pretty harsh in Korea.

Dadawg_77
07-12-2004, 03:01 PM
So he DIDN'T win an MVP when he won the Triple Crown?

I guess they are pretty harsh in Korea.
It was one of those years where they had the debate between best player and best player on a playoff team.

MikeW
07-12-2004, 11:13 PM
Man Soo is also a goodwill ambassador on the road. At the Sox series against the Yankees in New York, he was throwing baseballs to the kids. Some dumb Yankee fans thought he was Shingo.

Mohoney
07-12-2004, 11:23 PM
It was one of those years where they had the debate between best player and best player on a playoff team.

Debate? What debate could there possibly be if a guy WINS A TRIPLE CROWN?

That would NEVER happen in America, unless Magglio wins a Triple Crown with us. In that event, a Red Sox player with an OPS .003 higher than Magglio's with 11 less Ks would win.