PDA

View Full Version : Giambi out???

ukigdog
07-11-2004, 09:43 PM
Supposedly there is a rumor going that Giambi is out of hr derby. Do you think paulie will get the nod with his 22?? I really hope so, anyone else hear??

nitetrain8601
07-11-2004, 09:46 PM
1)He is out.
2)Paul would be perfect since Frank is out.

soltrain21
07-11-2004, 09:48 PM
I don't want Paulie in the homerun derby, that is what screwed up his swing in the first place.

Cowch44
07-11-2004, 09:49 PM
Looks like luck has headed our way.:D:
http://tinypic.com/oitd
Thanks big man!

OEO Magglio
07-11-2004, 09:50 PM
I don't want Paulie in the homerun derby, that is what screwed up his swing in the first place.Ditto.

34rancher
07-11-2004, 09:50 PM
I don't want Paulie in the homerun derby, that is what screwed up his swing in the first place.

DITTO!!!

I saw the last home run derby he was in and what it did. Stay away......

bigfoot
07-11-2004, 09:59 PM
I'm all for PK getting an A/S bid, if Giambi can't go due to intestinal parasites(I didn't know the 'troughs' drained into the NYC water system). But, if this is just for the HR derby, I would just prefer PK stay home, not be Giambi's batboy, not screw up his swing like he did a couple of years ago, and come out fresh for the 2nd half of the season. This HR Derby junk is just another, made for TV, POS thunk up by Used Car Bud, for the TV $. Let ol'hippity hop Corky Soso, have his fun with BP. Let's rest up and win this sucker!

joeynach
07-11-2004, 10:06 PM
Supposedly there is a rumor going that Giambi is out of hr derby. Do you think paulie will get the nod with his 22?? I really hope so, anyone else hear?? Konerko cant be in the HR derby if he is not a member of the all star team. So far giambi has said he will not be in the HR derby, not that he wont be playing in the all star game. If giambi plays in the all star game, paulie stays home no matter what.

CallMeNuts
07-11-2004, 10:13 PM
2002 Pre-ASG: .328 w/ 20 HR & 71 RBI
12 dingers in the 2002 ASG HR derby

2002 Post-ASG: .270 w/ 7 HR & 33 RBI
2003 Pre-ASG: .197 w/ 5 HR & 22 RBI

2003 Post-ASG: .275 w/ 13 HR & 43 RBI
2004 Pre-ASG: .294 w/ 22 HR & 59 RBI

The last HR derby preceded a full season slump for Paulie. Over the 2nd half of 2002 and the first half of 2003 he hit in the neighborhood of .230 with 12 HR & 55 RBI.

While I don't know if the HR Derby was the cause, why risk it for an exhibition in the middle of an exhibition.

havelj
07-11-2004, 11:16 PM
They should get rid of the HR derby and do a "skills competition" instead. Jim Edmonds hurt his shoulder last year from the HR derby. Enough! (unless Sammy breaks his arm in the derby and HGH comes spilling out all over the field from it!)

Cubbiesuck13
07-11-2004, 11:20 PM
Konerko cant be in the HR derby if he is not a member of the all star team. So far giambi has said he will not be in the HR derby, not that he wont be playing in the all star game. If giambi plays in the all star game, paulie stays home no matter what.
palmero isn't in the allstar game is he? and he is in the hr derby tho right?

munchman33
07-11-2004, 11:59 PM
palmero isn't in the allstar game is he? and he is in the hr derby tho right?
You are correct. Nowhere in the HR derby rules does it say the player must be an All-Star. I checked. At first I was opposed to Palmero's presense. But now that I know I'm wrong and they didn't change the rules for him, I'm fine with it. Hell, the NBA doesn't only let all stars compete in the slam dunk and three point competitions. They pick the guys best at it.

Cubbiesuck13
07-12-2004, 12:09 AM
You are correct. Nowhere in the HR derby rules does it say the player must be an All-Star. I checked. At first I was opposed to Palmero's presense. But now that I know I'm wrong and they didn't change the rules for him, I'm fine with it. Hell, the NBA doesn't only let all stars compete in the slam dunk and three point competitions. They pick the guys best at it.and i don't see anythign wrong with that. a hr derby is the one thing that SoSo SHOULD do during the all star break. if there was a strike out derby, he could do that to but back the the point.... i would rather see the guys who have the swing for the hrs participate than have guys change their swing for it.

and for the record, i hope pauly does not participate. i would just as soon have all the sox take a little r and r then have someone risk getting hurt. i posted a thread a few days ago about that.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36683

WhiteSox16K
07-12-2004, 12:18 AM
Konerko was HBP in the exhibition game against the Rockies in Cooperstown in 2002. And I also remember them saying that this had an effect on his swing that caused problems. It could be a combination, but I think the injury may have played a bigger role in the problems with his swing.

Elvisfan1977
07-12-2004, 12:19 AM
Supposedly there is a rumor going that Giambi is out of hr derby. Do you think paulie will get the nod with his 22?? I really hope so, anyone else hear??
Giambi is definitely out of the derby and the game. As good as a year as PK is having, and as deserving as he is to be on the All Star team, I rather see him snub Tuesday's game like Torre snubbed him. I rather see our boys rest up and come back fresh for the second half instead of risking an injury or losing the timing in his swing. I want a ring this year. Who cares about the All Star game anyways? It's a popularity contest for the fans to choose the most recognized names in the game and not the most talented. IMO,the whole selection process should be revamped completely.

hawkjt
07-12-2004, 12:23 AM
Screw the all star game - I just want our guys to go re-charge there batteries and maybe have a chip on their shoulder from a snub. It is such a long season I think they need the break worse than some exhausting HR derby.

WWIII
07-12-2004, 10:09 AM
How cool would it be for Torre to pick Konerko to fill in for Giambi, and then for Konerko to tell Torre to shove it - pick another of your Yankmes!

bennyw41
07-12-2004, 10:12 AM
How cool would it be for Torre to pick Konerko to fill in for Giambi, and then for Konerko to tell Torre to shove it - pick another of your Yankmes!
Not very, I don't think it would prove anything.

harwar
07-12-2004, 10:24 AM
The whole allstar thing has become so laughable that i don't even care anymore.
The homerun derby was fun the first year and then got more and more boring with each year that followed.
MLBs' allstar game was the only sport that had a contest that wasn't a total joke.Now its become the biggest.
I'd like to see all of the White Sox players just relax and do whatever it is that they do for 3 whole days and not even think about the game.
Then come back fresh and ready to roll when we go out west.:sunshine:

Paulwny
07-12-2004, 11:32 AM
Announced a little while ago, Tejada will replace Giambi.

Mickster
07-12-2004, 11:33 AM
Did Torre make this choice?

Jerko
07-12-2004, 11:34 AM
Should have been Beltran; he could play for the NL and participate in the HR derby for the AL.

Paulwny
07-12-2004, 11:41 AM
Did Torre make this choice?
The AP article doesn't mention who or how he was chosen.

Tekijawa
07-12-2004, 11:42 AM
Weren't their any Indians or Yankees left to put on the team?

Palmero is in the HR contest because of the 500 HR group that will be there in Houston, all the living Memebers of the 500 HR Club will be in attendance, I don't know about Griffey now, and the ones that were still active were invited to the HR contest.