PDA

View Full Version : *OFFICIAL* Go-Anyone-But-Sham-ME* HR Derby thread

ukigdog
07-11-2004, 07:06 PM
Interesting, but look at the home run derby participants, prior to griffeys injury:
AL:
Giambi - Lefty
Ortiz - Lefty
Blalock - Lefty
Palmeiro - Lefty

NL:
Bonds - Lefty
Thome - Lefty
Griffey - Lefty
Sosa - Righty

Also, i dont beleive that sosa is deserving, but rather should be the guy from cincy that is a lefty. Is that what it has come down to, are left handed hitters swinging for the fences and thats all?

Interesting, thats why Valentin has 18 hr, either strikes out or HR.

munchman33
07-11-2004, 07:58 PM
Well, Griffey won't be competing due to injury, and Giambi just dropped out of the derby, so maybe we'll see some righties. And don't forget, Giambi is not deserving, as he only has 11 home runs.

Thunderstruck30
07-12-2004, 12:27 AM
And lets not forget how boring the HR Derby is and how the legends and celebrity softball game is alot better.

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-12-2004, 12:35 AM
I was looking forward to seeing Grriffey Jr. again the HR Derby & ASG but now he's out. The only guy now in the HR Derby that I'd tune into see is Jim Thome, but I'll watch it nonetheless since the white sox aren't playing.

Aidan
07-12-2004, 01:05 AM
Lance Berkman, a switch-hitter, will be replacing Griffey...

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20040711&content_id=796469&vkey=allstar2004&fext=.jsp

StockdaleForVeep
07-12-2004, 01:13 AM
Why on earth is manny ramirez not in the derby? Also, who knows, with giambi gone, maybe paulie can sneek in?

Aidan
07-12-2004, 01:27 AM
Why on earth is manny ramirez not in the derby? Also, who knows, with giambi gone, maybe paulie can sneek in? I would assume Paulie with 22 homers would be the one to get the nod. But alot of people here don't want him in the Derby because they think it will screw up his swing for the second half.

StockdaleForVeep
07-12-2004, 01:41 AM
I would assume Paulie with 22 homers would be the one to get the nod. But alot of people here don't want him in the Derby because they think it will screw up his swing for the second half.

Hasnt messed up Bonds' swing yet.

WinningUgly!
07-12-2004, 02:14 PM
I would assume Paulie with 22 homers would be the one to get the nod. But alot of people here don't want him in the Derby because they think it will screw up his swing for the second half.
AL - Miguel Tejada, Rafael Palmeiro, Hank Blalock, and David Ortiz

NL - Lance Berkman, Sammy Sosa, Barry Bonds, and Jim Thome

ScottyTheSoxFan
07-12-2004, 02:33 PM

I can't wait...

... to change the channel.

VA_GoGoSox
07-12-2004, 02:50 PM

The Orioles are 17.5 games out of first and neither Tejada nor Palmeiro are even close to leading the league in homers. How does this happen?

Would have loved to see Paulie and Pujols...

RKMeibalane
07-12-2004, 05:25 PM
Well, Griffey won't be competing due to injury, and Giambi just dropped out of the derby, so maybe we'll see some righties. And don't forget, Giambi is not deserving, as he only has 11 home runs.
Giambi shouldn't be there, period, but that's another story.

RKMeibalane
07-12-2004, 05:28 PM
I think Konerko actually said that being in the 'Derby messed up his swing back in 2002. I know Thomas said something similar in the past. I really can't blame players who don't want to participate for that reason. Their primary obligation is to their respective teams, no one else.

Besides, Sammy Sosa is the only one who takes that contest seriously. It's the only thing he can manage to win, because he's not going to win a WS ring.

cheeses_h_rice
07-12-2004, 06:58 PM
Did anyone else catch the Channel 7 interview today with Sam the Sham where he was practically drooling to participate in the HR Derby and "give the fans a show"? He was even quoted as saying that the HR Derby is a bigger deal to him than the All-Star Game itself.

Interesting thought, that, considering that the league that wins the game now gets home field advantage in the World Series.

That Sham-ME*, what a consummate team player.

:rolleyes:

Go Jim Thome.

cheeses_h_rice
07-12-2004, 07:09 PM
Is Griffey going to hit today? I thought he was out.

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-12-2004, 07:11 PM
I'm very disappointed that the Houston fans didn't boo Shamme!!! BOOOOOOOO!!!!

RKMeibalane
07-12-2004, 07:17 PM
I'm going to ask a rhetorical question here...

Why, exactly, does Sammy Sosa have his arms covered? What is he hiding?

RKMeibalane
07-12-2004, 07:18 PM
Chris Berman is such a tool. My goodness...

Aidan
07-12-2004, 07:26 PM
Want to hear something sad? I don't have ESPN so I'm listening to it on the radio. :(:

The intentional walk sign by the catcher to Bonds was kinda funny.

It's so lame that the players get to pick their pitchers.

Bonds almost hit the $1,000,000 MasterCard sign? He hits 8 homers and one was 483 feet.

cheeses_h_rice
07-12-2004, 07:31 PM
Nice opening round by Barry.

There are some WSIers in chat, too, so feel free to join us.

soxwon
07-12-2004, 07:34 PM
Did anyone else catch the Channel 7 interview today with Sam the Sham where he was practically drooling to participate in the HR Derby and "give the fans a show"? He was even quoted as saying that the HR Derby is a bigger deal to him than the All-Star Game itself.

Interesting thought, that, considering that the league that wins the game now gets home field advantage in the World Series.

That Sham-ME*, what a consummate team player.

:rolleyes:

Go Jim Thome.

I GOT THOME IN THE HR DERBY POOL AT WORK.
what are my chances?

soxwon
07-12-2004, 07:38 PM
what the hells up with this camera angle, i wanna see where every balls fly to

not just the ones that are hit far.
was it like this last year? i was at last years derby so i couldnt see it on tv.

RKMeibalane
what are my chances?
Unless Bonds falls flat on his face in the next round, I think he's got this wrapped up.

cheeses_h_rice
what are my chances?
I would say it's going to be between Bonds and Thome in the end...

RKMeibalane
07-12-2004, 07:56 PM
Nice round by Tejada. I didn't realize he had that in him.

pearso66
07-12-2004, 08:06 PM
Looks like Thome is gone. I'd put my bet on a right handed hitter. Unfortunately it might be Sammy's year to win since he has such an uppercut swing. Id even rather haev Bonds win then him. But I'm rooting for Berkman

RKMeibalane
07-12-2004, 08:14 PM
Look at how seriously Sosa is taking this.

LOSER -----------------------------------------> :shammy

soxwon
07-12-2004, 08:20 PM
sosa sucks he aint gonna make it

whitesoxwilkes
07-12-2004, 08:22 PM
Is it me or is ol'fattypants Berman competing with Mariotti to see who can lodge his tongue further up Sosa's ass?

soxwon
07-12-2004, 08:23 PM
Chokeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Sosa

RKMeibalane
07-12-2004, 08:24 PM
How funny would it be if Sosa doesn't even get out of the first round?

soxwon
07-12-2004, 08:26 PM
i thought sosa was out?

didnt four guys have 7 or more?

cheeses_h_rice
07-12-2004, 08:26 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, it's not every day you get to see someone who takes a freaking home run derby so seriously, yet can also hack and whiff at his first pitch, too.

Hey, Sham-ME*, sure you killed enough worms out there?

:supernana:

RKMeibalane
07-12-2004, 08:37 PM
:shammy

Look at that face. Look at it, and see the biggest fraud in Major League Baseball history. Look at the person who takes a contest more seriously than he takes an actual game. Sammy Sosa is worthless. I know it; you know it, and pretty soon, the rest of the world will know it, too.

cheeses_h_rice
07-12-2004, 08:37 PM
"Cheaters never win, son."

Buh-bye Sham-ME*.

:corker

RKMeibalane
07-12-2004, 08:41 PM
I wonder if Sosa is somewhere crying. He cried two years ago when Giambi defeated him. He was so devistated about losing a contest that he didn't even shake Giambi's hand once it was over.

******* ----------------------------------------> :shammy

RKMeibalane
07-12-2004, 08:49 PM
:shammy

"WHAAAAAAA!"

LongLiveFisk
07-12-2004, 09:36 PM
I wonder if Sosa is somewhere crying. He cried two years ago when Giambi defeated him. He was so devistated about losing a contest that he didn't even shake Giambi's hand once it was over.
What? Are you serious?? Hell, I don't even remember that! But it really wouldn't surprise me the more I think about it.

SOXPHILE
07-12-2004, 09:41 PM
I think it would be absolutely hilarious if Chicago's favorite wife beating, cheating, meglomaniac re-injured his back in the HR contest, and has to go back on the disabled list. :rolling:

:shammy "Not me, I don't get hurt ! I'm a galdiator ! That's why people love me !"

Blob
07-12-2004, 09:44 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, it's not every day you get to see someone who takes a freaking home run derby so seriously, yet can also hack and whiff at his first pitch, too.

Hey, Sham-ME*, sure you killed enough worms out there?

:supernana:
That was THE best part of the HR derby! His first swings breeze was felt throughout the southside of Chicago!

RKMeibalane
07-12-2004, 09:53 PM
What? Are you serious?? Hell, I don't even remember that! But it really wouldn't surprise me the more I think about it.
Yes, I am serious. When Giambi hit the home run that passed Sosa to win the 'Derby, the camera cut to Sosa's reaction, and there was a drop of liquid running down his cheek. At first, I thought it was just sweat, but then they showed him again and there was another drop in almost the exact same spot. He really was crying.

And yes, he walked away without shaking Giamib's hand. The man is true class act.

mcfish
07-12-2004, 09:54 PM
Well, this is pretty much just a Sosa bashing thread, but it's in the title, so we might as well recognize that Miguel Tejada won the Home Run Derby this year. He set the single round record with 15 home runs, and the Derby record with 27 home runs. He defeated Berkman in the finals 5-4.

cheeses_h_rice
07-12-2004, 09:56 PM
Well, congrats to Miguel Tejada for a very surprising win and dominating performance tonight. I guess I have to apologize for saying "Why is Tejada in this?" during chat tonight just before you batted the first time...

:)

LongLiveFisk
07-12-2004, 09:57 PM
Well, this is pretty much just a Sosa bashing thread, but it's in the title, so we might as well recognize that Miguel Tejada won the Home Run Derby this year. He set the single round record with 15 home runs, and the Derby record with 27 home runs. He defeated Berkman in the finals 5-4.
Yes, Tejada was very impressive. I think at the start of the HR Derby, Joe Morgan said not to count him out. (Wow, for once he said something intelligent :wink: )

RKMeibalane
07-12-2004, 09:58 PM
:nandrolone

"#@!*"

skobabe8
07-13-2004, 01:42 AM
Joe Morgan also was making excuses for Shamme by saying the pitches he was getting appeared as if they had some movement to them. He said a couple looked like "cutters". Even though each guy hand picks the pitcher.

akingamongstmen
07-13-2004, 08:36 AM
Joe Morgan also was making excuses for Shamme by saying the pitches he was getting appeared as if they had some movement to them. He said a couple looked like "cutters". Even though each guy hand picks the pitcher.
A little math for everybody:

Joe Morgan + Chris Berman < Two monkeys with microphones

zach23
07-13-2004, 09:59 AM

Joe Morgan + Chris Berman = verbal diarrhea

RKMeibalane
07-13-2004, 04:09 PM

That's an insult to monkeys.

bigfoot
07-14-2004, 09:56 AM
Who has the video of Scammy Soso 'Whiffing" at the HR Derby? Put that clip on an endless loop, for hours of Scub Whackin' fun! I didn't tape the 'Bud Bash', never thinking that a MLB player would miss a BP pitch.
But I forgot that Corky was involved.