PDA

View Full Version : Sox get props from Cards fans!

nitetrain8601
07-11-2004, 07:48 PM
On ESPN when the highlights were shown for the White Sox they cheered when they said we were now in first place and when they showed Uribe, Valentine and Rowand hitting home runs. Let the conversion begin. Looks like they hate the sCrUBS as much as we do if not more.

TornLabrum
07-11-2004, 07:54 PM
On ESPN when the highlights were shown for the White Sox they cheered when they said we were now in first place and when they showed Uribe, Valentine and Rowand hitting home runs. Let the conversion begin. Looks like they hate the sCrUBS as much as we do if not more.
They've had longer to hate the Cubs. Charlie Comiskey's Browns (now the Cardinals) played the Cap Anson's Colts (now the Cubs) in a couple of proto-World Series in the 1880s, iirc. They've been in the same league for longer than the Sox have been in Chicago.

joeynach
07-11-2004, 07:54 PM
Was anyone else just watching baseball tonight live froom Busch, before the sunday night cubs game. When they showed the sox highlights, both on tv and in the stadium, the crowd cheered. They showed us winning and we got some out of town respect and props cuz we are winning and the cubs are losing bigtime. I love it, and now i love the cards and there fans more then ever. Brenevech even made a note of the crowd cheerin g for our win on the air, sweet.

nitetrain8601
07-11-2004, 07:55 PM
I'm just happy because it was a huge cheer. Even the guys on ESPN were saying, huge cheers for the White Sox. Hopefully we see them in the series.

32nd&Wallace
07-11-2004, 07:56 PM
I've always said Sox fans and Cardinal fans should come together...The enemy of my enemy is my friend!

Cubbiesuck13
07-11-2004, 08:04 PM
many are fans of both, like me. of course the sox are first but the cards are second followed by anyone playing the cubs.

joeynach
07-11-2004, 08:05 PM
I started a thread on this on behalf of all of us on the cardinals board thanking them for showing respect.

http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=ml-cardinals&msg=25705.1&ctx=0

jackbrohamer
07-11-2004, 08:05 PM
I saw that also, the ESPN announcer said the crowd was cheering the Sox win. But I couldn't tell if he was joking, my first thought was that something happened at the ballpark at the same time that they were cheering. They cheered a couple of seconds later for something also.

Pretty funny if they were cheering the Sox though.

soltrain21
07-11-2004, 08:06 PM
I like the Brewers more than I like the Cards, but we all share a common hatred.

Today a barrier has truly been broke. *single tear*

LongLiveFisk
07-11-2004, 08:09 PM
I started a thread on this on behalf of all of us on the cardinals board thanking them for showing respect.

http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=ml-cardinals&msg=25705.1&ctx=0
And leave it to a bitter Cub fan to have no real comeback except to make fun of your grammatical error.

Lame! :whiner:

joeynach
07-11-2004, 08:12 PM
And leave it to a bitter Cub fan to have no real comeback except to make fun of your grammatical error.

Lame! :whiner:
Naturllay, but i fired back with real insight.

hsnterprize
07-11-2004, 08:22 PM
I wouldn't waste my time on the MLB.com boards. If you really want to send our fellow Cub-haters from the Gateway to the West a thank you, click here. (http://www.cardsclubhouse.com/index.php)

This is a neat fansite made like WSI. Let's show out appreciation, and root for the the World Series from hell for a Cub fan...the White Sox vs. the St. Louis Cardinals.

nitetrain8601
07-11-2004, 08:26 PM
I saw that also, the ESPN announcer said the crowd was cheering the Sox win. But I couldn't tell if he was joking, my first thought was that something happened at the ballpark at the same time that they were cheering. They cheered a couple of seconds later for something also.

Pretty funny if they were cheering the Sox though.
It was clearyl for the Sox because as soon as the ESPN announcer said, Sox fans drawing cheers from St Louis, they cheered even more for that. White Sox Baseball, it's going around like the plague.

jackbrohamer
07-11-2004, 08:29 PM
They've had longer to hate the Cubs. Charlie Comiskey's Browns (now the Cardinals) played the Cap Anson's Colts (now the Cubs) in a couple of proto-World Series in the 1880s, iirc. They've been in the same league for longer than the Sox have been in Chicago.

They have one of trophies Comiskey's St. L. team won displayed in the Hall of Fame store at the Cell. Don't know if it's from one of the years they beat the Flubs but it's pretty cool. I think it's from 1886.

samram
07-11-2004, 08:42 PM
Naturllay, but i fired back with real insight.
And then you made the same grammatical mistake again in your reply. I hope you did that on purpose.

hsnterprize
07-11-2004, 08:58 PM
Hi Cardinals fans,

I'm posting this message to you in peace. I'm a Chicago White Sox fan who is writing this to congratulate and thank you for your team's success against our bitter rivals...the Chicago Cubs. Make no mistake about it...not everybody in Chicago is a Cubs fan. We White Sox fans can't stand the Cubs as much, if not more, than you down there in St. Louis. There's also something else I'd like to acknowledge...

ESPN's Baseball Tonight was broadcasting live from Busch Stadium tonight, and one of the last highlight packages was from the White Sox/Mariners game. After the package was over, the score showed the Sox beating the M's. Once the graphic went up, a bunch of people started cheering quite loudly...so loudly in fact, that they started to drown out the announcers on the field. So if those people were indeed Cardinals' fans and I and many White Sox fans think, then let me please tell all of you...thanks.

You Cardinals fans and we White Sox fans have something in common...a common hatred for the Cubs. And believe me...it's really something here in Chicago that the Cubbies are as far away from 1st place in the N.L. Central as they are. All the local media up here kept bragging that this was going to be the year the Cubs finally win it all. Even with their injuries, the Cubs were playing good enough for a time to keep pace with your team, Houston, and even Cincinnati. No one even bothered to consider the Cardinals to be a threat in the division, much less leading it going into the All-Star break.

Please allow me to extend a somewhat-olive branch to you, and link you over to the White Sox' best fansite, known as White Sox Interactive. Check out www.whitesoxinteractive.com you'll see what I mean.

I wish your Cardinals the best this season, and once again, congratulations on your recent domination on the over-rated, over-hyped, and destined (or should I say, "Dustined")-to-choke Cubbies. At the rate our teams are going right now, it could be an I-55 World Series, with the REAL baseball leaders in Chicago going to the Gateway. And those Cubs, or Flubs as some of us Sox fans like to call them, sitting at home crying in their Old Style beer, and wondering what went wrong.

SoxFan76
07-11-2004, 09:01 PM
HSN, you da man.

Couldn't of said it better myself.

hsnterprize
07-11-2004, 09:15 PM
HSN, you da man.

Couldn't of said it better myself. Nothing better than seeing visitors from other teams showing some class. Thank you for the invite and good luck to ya'll! Hope you and the other Sox fans stick around and check out our GREAT site............enjoy!

Nothing like showing some "class" and respect to a fellow Cub hater, huh? It goes to show that if you just take a little time to be tactful, you never know what'll happen. Like the saying goes, you'll catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

havelj
07-11-2004, 09:16 PM
This is probably the best board for the Cardinal faithful:

http://www.stlouissportsforum.com/forum/index.php?act=SF&f=2

SOXPHILE
07-11-2004, 10:19 PM
That's awesome that the Cardinal fans did that. Funny thing is, even though I'm a die hard Sox fan, I've always liked the Cardinals too. (And not just because I hate the Cubs either). I remember cheering them on, especially in the World Series in 1982, 1985 and 1987. I even used to try and tune in to KMOX on clear summer nights, and listen to a faint, static filled signal, and find out how their game was going, (usually done in between innings of the Sox game). A White Sox-Cardinals World Series has been a lifelong, and unfortunatly, unfullfilled dream. Naturally, I'd root for our Sox, but I'd probably keel over from a heart attack if that ever actually did happen. I'm everything lovable Cub fans hate, a badge I wear with pride. GO Cardinals, and GO SOX !!!!!!

Whitesox029
07-12-2004, 01:02 AM
On ESPN when the highlights were shown for the White Sox they cheered when they said we were now in first place and when they showed Uribe, Valentine and Rowand hitting home runs. Let the conversion begin. Looks like they hate the sCrUBS as much as we do if not more.You know I actually just joined the Cards' version of WSI just to shout out to them and wish them good luck against the scrubs this weekend. Could this be a start of a brotherhood of Cub haters who root for each other? I'm very much pro-Cardinals. In fact I'm glad it's them and not Houston. I even have a Cards hat to accompany one of my many Sox shirts when I go to places I know Cub fans will be.

My uncle started it--he bought a Twins hat.
:angry:

WSox8404
07-12-2004, 01:10 AM
At least we have some allies. Its a wonder that the Card fans weren't called morons for doing that by the ESPN folk. They really do hate us on the station.

Mohoney
07-12-2004, 01:17 AM
At least we have some allies. Its a wonder that the Card fans weren't called morons for doing that by the ESPN folk. They really do hate us on the station.

They were caught between a rock and a hard place. They couldn't rip the fan base of the second most storied franchise in the history of the game. Baseball fans from all over would backlash at Cardinal bashing.

DSpivack
07-12-2004, 02:25 AM
As my dad used to live in Springfield, IL, I have attended many Cards games over the years... From the days of Ray Lankford and the mediocrity of the early and mid-90s, to the playoff teams in the latter 90s to the excitement of Mark McGwire [and Will Clark was very good as his replacement] to the emergence of Pujols [my dad has since moved to California], I have always liked the Cardinals as my second fave team/ fave NL team. Even as a lifelong Cub fan [though he became a Card fan for awhile!] he said he could just never dislike the Cardinals.

As St. Louis is a very underrated city, go Cardinals!

DrCrawdad
07-12-2004, 02:36 AM
I've said this before, should the Sox ever leave Chicago (which won't happen anytime soon) I'd immediately switch my loyalties to the Cardinals.

doublem23
07-12-2004, 02:48 AM
I've said this before, should the Sox ever leave Chicago (which won't happen anytime soon) I'd immediately switch my loyalties to the Cardinals.
Agreed.

jordan23ventura
07-12-2004, 04:00 AM
Since I don't get the Cards in my area anyway, I would take the Marlins. But, then again, that's probably where the Sox would be going of moved!

Don't worry, though. I really like what they are doing both on the field an in the office, especially marketing-wise. Nice to see Garcia immediately resigned and a focus on keeping Maggs, plus talk of a higher payroll. The Cubs are slowly heading back to the NL Central doghouse, and in my crystal ball I see Prior in a Yanks jersey and Wood on the DL. Zambrano will become the frustrated ace waiting for a trade after Clement leaves, and all of the sudden the Sox are getting the attention. Many of the Flub fans talking on their cell with their back turned to the game will be doing the same at our stadium. But one question: if this happened, will we have really won?

Nellie_Fox
07-12-2004, 04:06 AM
I've said this before, should the Sox ever leave Chicago (which won't happen anytime soon) I'd immediately switch my loyalties to the Cardinals.When I was sure the Sox were going to St. Pete, I had already decided to switch my #1 allegiance to the Cards.

Cellview22
07-12-2004, 10:37 AM
Funny story.. yesterday I was wearing my Sox hat, and I was walking out of the new Fry's in Downers Grove when I passed this guy wearing a Cardinals jersey and hat.. I said to him "Go Cards", he looked at my hat, and said "Hey, Sox are number one, Cubs suck".

Looks like we have an alliance going.

Jerko
07-12-2004, 10:48 AM
I've always said Sox fans and Cardinal fans should come together...The enemy of my enemy is my friend!
That's what we thought about Marlin fans and we all saw how great they acted on here after playing the Sox. I just worry about Sox fans and that's it.

Frater Perdurabo
07-12-2004, 11:15 AM
My earliest years in Springfield, Illinois were spent as a Cardinals fan before converting to the Sox upon moving to Chicago in 83.

The Cardinals remain my second-favorite team and favorite NL team, followed by whomever is playing the Cubs on a given day. My hatred for the Twins was cemented when they beat the Cardinals in the 87 Series.

I can't even begin to imagine how cool an I-55 Series between the Sox and Cards would be. Let's get the playoffs first, though.

bobj4400
07-12-2004, 11:37 AM
This Valentine character continues to infiltrate the White Sox clubhouse!!! Has anybody ever seen him?

SoxFan76
07-12-2004, 01:05 PM
This Valentine character continues to infiltrate the White Sox clubhouse!!! Has anybody ever seen him?
:D: , I know. Whoever he is, I guess he has a cool mustache. They say he looks just like Jose Valetin.

DrummerGeorgefan
07-12-2004, 01:27 PM
I was down in STL this weekend for the games (my buddy is a native and a huge Cards fan) and let me say this, Cardinals fans are pretty damn passionate and have the same hatred we have for the Cubs. A Sox-Cards I-55 battle in October would be wonderful.