PDA

View Full Version : Start of the second half

samram
07-11-2004, 06:32 PM
Next weekend, the Sox play four in Oakland, while Minnesota gets four at KC. While it's still mid-July, I think the Sox have to win at least 2 out there. We can pretty much assume Minnesota will win at least 3. I think if the Sox can get to August still in 1st, it will be really tough for Minnesota to make up a lot of ground with that tough schedule, and next weekend will go a long way towards determining whether the Sox will be in first at the end of this month.

HomeFish
07-11-2004, 07:19 PM
With Koch gone, we may be able to win a game or two on the West Coast.

I wouldn't count on it, though.

Tragg
07-11-2004, 07:32 PM
I don't think Oakland is any better than we are.
See no reason at all why we can't win a couple

jackbrohamer
07-11-2004, 08:15 PM
The Sox have to get over their ridiculous inability to win games on the West Coast. I know the teams out there are usually excellent but I think a lot if it's mental, and it would be nice of them to get over it now in case they finish first and wind up in playoff games on the coast

soltrain21
07-11-2004, 08:17 PM
I don't know about Twins winning 3 of 4. They really do not have an offense right now and the Royals crushed the crap out of the ball.

However, I am sure the Royals will lay down for the Twinkies like every other bad team does.

Lip Man 1
07-11-2004, 08:25 PM
The entire road trip is a killer...Oakland, Texas then Cleveland and then later on in the second half the Sox have another ten game trip to Texas, Anaheim and Minnesota.

Lip

munchman33
07-11-2004, 08:56 PM
Sotrain I just noticed your signature. Can you please remove "Fielder," or at least put in the stipulation that the ball cannot be more than 6 inches away for Konerko to be able to react to it.

Thank you.

hawkjt
07-12-2004, 12:19 AM
Sure wish we had more games withSeattle instead of 10 with Oalkland and Anahiem. Playing 7 in Oakland is a bad break. I am going to quit whining about the schedule and just figure if we survive it will make us better for the playoffs.

pearso66
07-12-2004, 12:22 AM
I don't know about Twins winning 3 of 4. They really do not have an offense right now and the Royals crushed the crap out of the ball.

However, I am sure the Royals will lay down for the Twinkies like every other bad team does.
Well the Twins just did sweep the Royals, and the Royals didn't score 1 run the whole series. So even if you manage to score 1 run a game, if you dont allow any, thats still a win

elrod
07-12-2004, 12:26 AM
No reason to gripe about the schedule. After all, we got the Yankees out of the way when they were recovering from Japan. Now THAT's a break. Oakland just isn't much better than us. They beat us regularly for mental reasons and quirks. The 2-game set out there was a perfect example. A miraculous HR by Valentin ties it up and then Duscherrer completely shuts the Sox down for three innings. The second game Buehrle outduels Mulder and Koch blows it. Both games were winnable.

Let's face it, if we're going to make the playoffs then we're going to have to be able to win in places like Oakland or Anaheim.

samram
07-12-2004, 08:04 AM

The Royals offense got healthy against an awful Baltimore pitching staff, and the Royals pitching still sucks.

34 Inch Stick
07-12-2004, 09:16 AM
The A's get to reset their rotation, which means we will be facing their best, which means we will be facing the best in the league. I will take 2 out of 4 in a heartbeat.

kjhanson
07-12-2004, 09:26 AM
The pitching matchups in Oakland are surprisingly favorable:

Schoenweis vs. Redman

Loaiza vs. Harden

Garland vs. Kirk Saarloss

and one of the best matchups in all of baseball:

Buehrle vs. Mulder

There is no reason we shouldn't take two games in this series. Three is obviously not out of the question, and if Mark keeps pitching the way he has...

jackbrohamer
07-12-2004, 09:33 AM
Look for the Buehrle/Mulder game to be 2 hours or less

Frater Perdurabo
07-12-2004, 10:02 AM
The pitching matchups in Oakland are surprisingly favorable:

Schoenweis vs. Redman

Loaiza vs. Harden

Garland vs. Kirk Saarloss

and one of the best matchups in all of baseball:

Buehrle vs. Mulder

There is no reason we shouldn't take two games in this series. Three is obviously not out of the question, and if Mark keeps pitching the way he has...

ESPN has the following probables:
Thurs: Garland v. Harden
Fri: Buehrle v. Mulder
Sat: Garcia v. Zito
Sun: Schoeneweis v. Redman

(That would mean Loaiza is probable to start Monday in Texas.)

The only reason the Sox tanked in Oakland on their last trip was Koch's characteristic terribleness and a couple of bobbled balls by Rowand.

Frater Perdurabo
07-12-2004, 10:03 AM
All I have to say is: GO ROYALS!

If the Sox can stay even with the Twins going into their series at the Cell starting July 26, all should go well.

jabrch
07-12-2004, 10:15 AM
The Sox and the As are two of the top 5 teams in the AL. I don't think you can say one is CLEARLY better than the other. Our rotations are similar (we are better than them right now - with Hudson on the shelf). Both teams have questionable bullpens. Both teams have deep benches. We have a better starting lineup.

There is no reason we cant win 5 of 8 on this roadtrip. 4 of 8 would be good. 5 or more would be a huge success.

MrRoboto83
07-12-2004, 01:35 PM
We just need to figure out how to hit good pitching, which Oakland has a lot of. I'm a little nervous, but optimistic for this road trip. That series in Texas could be the slugfest of the ages!!!