Whoooo FIRST PLACE! YES! :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

Is everyone now ready to start a Shingo fan club? :D:
sign me up! I'm in!!!!

hsnterprize
07-11-2004, 04:29 PM
GONG me in.

soltrain21
07-11-2004, 04:29 PM
Great game all around, we got to Moyer at just the right time.

Damaso is scaring me a little at times, but he is still effective! First place Sox, let's keep it this time! :bandance:

edit- and I am in for the fan club.

Soxzilla
07-11-2004, 04:30 PM
HOWS THE VIEW FROM FIRST!:bandance: :bandance: :gulp:

SEALgep
07-11-2004, 04:34 PM
HOWS THE VIEW FROM FIRST!:bandance: :bandance: :gulp:GREAT :bandance: :bandance: :gulp:

inta
07-11-2004, 04:36 PM
what a difference a week makes..
wow.

best way possible to head into the all star break.

and i'm down for the shingo fan club, i'm going through my old japanese language class books from college so i can make a fan sign for the tigers game next week.

owensmouth
07-11-2004, 04:36 PM
Sox win. Twins lose. And now, if the Cardinals can win tonight... lovely.

Nick@Nite
07-11-2004, 04:38 PM
HOWS THE VIEW FROM FIRST!:bandance: :bandance: :gulp:
Wiining 2 out of 3 in Oakland would make the view better!

Frater Perdurabo
07-11-2004, 04:40 PM
Great win. Nice to see Garcia get it against his old mates.

OFFENSE: On one hand, it is good that the Sox show an ability to win the low-scoring, one-run games, because this is the type of game that is played in October. I'm also glad they continue to have the ability to hit the long ball. OTOH, I'm concerned that all their runs today came on the long ball, and that they were out-hit today and last night. They do need to get more men on base and hit more doubles and triples.

PITCHING: The staff is demonstrating the benefit of surrendering very few walks. BB's will kill you, and they are avoiding them. The starters pitch deep into games. Consequently the relievers are used less and therefore less exposed, more available and more effective. Furthermore, the weaker/less experienced pitchers in the bullpen are used less, which is a good thing as well. The strong starting rotation makes the bullpen better. Thank goodness the top of the rotation will come around again after the break as we head to Oakland.

GLOVES: The gloves aren't killing the Sox. Borchard in right actually is a defensive improvement. The defense up the middle is solid, and Crede remains a vacuum at third. What once was a liability is becoming a valuable strength on this team, meaning that the defense shouldn't cost the Sox too many close games.

BOTTOM LINE: First place at the break. :supernana: Hope they enjoy three days off and get rested and ready for lots of important West Coast and division games with very few off days during the second half.

owensmouth
07-11-2004, 04:41 PM
I'd rather make it four out of four

balboner
07-11-2004, 04:43 PM
The catching position has really turned into a huge offensive liability for the Sox. I wonder what KW will do about it.

32nd&Wallace
07-11-2004, 04:45 PM
Wiining 2 out of 3 in Oakland would make the view better! Its a 4 game series

Nick@Nite
07-11-2004, 04:47 PM
I'd rather make it four out of fourOof! 4 game series... yeah, sweep would be mucho nice... 3 out of 4 would be bastante bueno... GO SOX!

32nd&Wallace
07-11-2004, 04:51 PM
Anyone give me an attendance figure/

Aidan
07-11-2004, 04:53 PM
Anyone give me an attendance figure/I watched the whole game and I don't remember Hawk of D.J. mentioning it.

32nd&Wallace
07-11-2004, 04:55 PM
I watched the whole game and I don't remember Hawk of D.J. mentioning it.Did it look like a full house though?

South Side
07-11-2004, 04:56 PM
Anyone give me an attendance figure/
Don't have an exact but it was 31,000.

DumpJerry
07-11-2004, 05:03 PM
:bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :) :) Perfect timing for the A-Break! And the Flubbies.................a month out of first.....poor babies..........:rolleyes:

I guess the pre-season pundits were right after all....Chicago in first at the All-Star Break. After all, they all know the Flubs don't play in Chicago, they're on the North Side.

Sox fans tonight=:D:
Cub fans tonight=:whiner:

BTW, to all those Flubs fans who own "Sox Suc" shirts. If the Sox suck (proper spelling), then does that mean the Cubs are downright rancid????

delben91
07-11-2004, 05:03 PM
The catching position has really turned into a huge offensive liability for the Sox. I wonder what KW will do about it.

Agreed. However, the Sox just had an emotional sweep of Seattle to take over first place again, so let's not focus on the negatives.

Here's to starting out hot after the break! :gulp:

Unregistered
07-11-2004, 05:04 PM
Did it look like a full house though? On TV it looked like both sides of the upper deck were empty.

Unregistered
07-11-2004, 05:06 PM
Don't have an exact but it was 31,000. According to the box score - 31,305.

owensmouth
07-11-2004, 05:08 PM
31,305 It looked like more on MLB TV

WinningUgly!
07-11-2004, 05:09 PM
Whoooo FIRST PLACE! YES! :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

Is everyone now ready to start a Shingo fan club? :D:Remember how everybody was calling Shingo a bust before spring training was even done?:rolleyes:

Aidan
07-11-2004, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the sig, WinningUgly!

nitetrain8601
07-11-2004, 05:22 PM
First Place is great, but I want to get at least a 5 game lead on the Twins by the middle of next month. GO SOX

kcsportscaster
07-11-2004, 07:11 PM
OH YEAH, another great win for the first place White Sox!!!! I was only able to watch some of the game because of my having to make the hour long drive to work during the game, but Garcia, outside of the home run he allowed, threw another outstanding game. Also, Paulie and Jose Valentin got it done again with homers of their own, and how about El Caballo's highway robbery in the third!!!! DA SOX MUST continue the momentum after the break against a very good A's team. However, they made a mistake by trading for Dotel. I have a very good feeling about him blowing a couple of leads next weekend should it come to that.

Lip Man 1
07-11-2004, 07:17 PM
Considering that the Sox were 3-9 in games started by the 5th starter before the Garcia trade...

Considering that Ordonez missed 37 games due to injury...

and considering that Thomas basically didn't play the last ten days before the break...

It is very impressive that the Sox are in first place.

Many important questions remain for the second half...two killer road trips, the Thomas situation, the bullpen, a potential additional starting pitcher, possibly a better catcher, possibly a lead off man....and it will be very interesting to see how Williams reacts to all this....but it is nice to see the Sox in contention. That's a refreshing change from 2001 and 2002.

Lip

MisterB
07-11-2004, 07:21 PM
and i'm down for the shingo fan club, i'm going through my old japanese language class books from college so i can make a fan sign for the tigers game next week.Here's something to start you off with....

高津
TAKATSU

臣吾
SHINGO

dpbyron
07-11-2004, 07:27 PM
Remember how everybody was calling Shingo a bust before spring training was even done?:rolleyes:I also remember a few people who where saying give the guy a chance. Myself included. Sorry I having been waiting for a chance to pat myself on the back for being right for once! :thumbsup:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=335997#post335997

OEO Magglio
07-11-2004, 08:37 PM
Considering that the Sox were 3-9 in games started by the 5th starter before the Garcia trade...

Considering that Ordonez missed 37 games due to injury...

and considering that Thomas basically didn't play the last ten days before the break...

It is very impressive that the Sox are in first place.

Many important questions remain for the second half...two killer road trips, the Thomas situation, the bullpen, a potential additional starting pitcher, possibly a better catcher, possibly a lead off man....and it will be very interesting to see how Williams reacts to all this....but it is nice to see the Sox in contention. That's a refreshing change from 2001 and 2002.

LipI'm still a little worried going into oakland but not as much as I used to be. The sox actually played very well in that 2 game set up there earlier and if it wasn't for botch it would have been a split. I'd obviously like to take 3 of 4 but atleast I'm hoping for a split. I do like most of the pitching matchups: harden vs garland, buehrle vs. zito, garcia vs. redman, tba vs. mulder, the last one is the one that scares me because we're obviously facing mulder and tba is probably going to end up being esteban, and I've lost alot of faith in loaiza lately, hopefully he'll turn it around.

idseer
07-11-2004, 08:44 PM
.............. tba vs. mulder, the last one is the one that scares me because we're obviously facing mulder and tba is probably going to end up being esteban, and I've lost alot of faith in loaiza lately, hopefully he'll turn it around.
i hope it's jon rauch.

DumpJerry
07-11-2004, 10:05 PM
Two words why we lost the two games in Oakland earlier this year: Billy Koch.

'Nuf said. :smile:

Cubbiesuck13
07-11-2004, 10:12 PM
i don't think the west coast trips will be so awfull. garcia played in the west and like everyone here has said, kotch blew those couple of games or we would have been doing a lot better.

CWSGuy406
07-11-2004, 10:18 PM
For those at the game today, did you see when Joe Borchard was announced to come out on the field, in the opening intros, Mark Buehrle was grabbing onto his arm and wouldn't let him out of the dugout? I was in the UD and thought that was hilarious. :D:

Bisco Stu
07-11-2004, 10:42 PM
Thank you for the birthday present, Sox! First place at the break.

rwcescato
07-11-2004, 11:13 PM
Its great to go into the 2nd half in 1st. The 8 game trip will be tough.
Its a 4 game set in Oakland and 2 in Texas and 2 with the indians.
Then the twins come to town. I expect a near sell-out for all 3 games.
They said in the paper that this is the fastest to 1 million fans since 94.
Count me into the Shingo fan club.
GO YOU WHITE SOX !!!!!!!!
Rich

WSox8404
07-11-2004, 11:55 PM
We get Harden and Zito in the first two games. Those games are crucial. They haven't been performing at their best and I really think we need to take those two. Because then we may get Mulder and Hudson, and we all know how well we do against them. I am excited though. Can't wait.

SSN721
07-12-2004, 06:15 AM
Well doesnt get much better than this. What a difference a week makes, last week everyone wanted to jump off the ledge. Now here we go into the break leading the division when most of us said we would be ecstatic if they were at least a few games out when we made it to the break. Lots of positives today. Loved the catch by Caballo, I almost had to do a double take, not normally the play I expect him to make. Other than the one mistake Garcia looked great, now 2-1. ANd Shingo is just plain awesome. I feel so confident with him coming out of the pen to close it out. I truly think his performance at Wrigley was the aberration and not an indication of him losing his stuff and being figured out. The only little thing I didnt quite like was all the offense based on home runs and getting outhit, but a win is a win. We have the break now to enjoy first place for 3 days and hopefully the majority of the rest of the season. Would be nice to see the Sox pull away a little as our weaker schedule should allow us. :bandance: