PDA

View Full Version : What's up with the Twins' schedule?

California Sox
07-10-2004, 11:51 PM
I know it's not just my imagination now. The Twins are playing a weak sister every time I turn on the TV. In addition to their very easy interleague schedule (which has been discussed ad nauseum on this site) they also have 9 games with Tampa and 9 games with Baltimore (instead of the usual 6 or 7 with an A.L. East opponent.) That, of course, leads to the question, "Who aren't they playing?" Do those games come out of the store of games they would normally play against the A.L. West? I don't get it. Is Bud Selig really feeling that guilty for trying to contract them? Comparing the Sox schedule to theirs, we're going to have to be about 5 games better to tie them in the standings.

inta
07-10-2004, 11:54 PM
check the twins august schedule.

i'll agree they seem to face alot of patsies, but they have an august i wouldnt want to see the sox do.

sendimjoey
07-10-2004, 11:55 PM
Regarding Tampa Bay, I think we lucked out there. We played them all six times early in the season, before they got their act together. IIRC, the D-Rays have won four of six from the Twins this year.

Cubbiesuck13
07-11-2004, 12:00 AM
I know it's not just my imagination now. The Twins are playing a weak sister every time I turn on the TV. In addition to their very easy interleague schedule (which has been discussed ad nauseum on this site) they also have 9 games with Tampa and 9 games with Baltimore (instead of the usual 6 or 7 with an A.L. East opponent.) That, of course, leads to the question, "Who aren't they playing?" Do those games come out of the store of games they would normally play against the A.L. West? I don't get it. Is Bud Selig really feeling that guilty for trying to contract them? Comparing the Sox schedule to theirs, we're going to have to be about 5 games better to tie them in the standings.
tampa is playing pretty well right now. i don't think that the schedules are that unfair. certainly not enough for me to blame us not winning the division.

jackbrohamer
07-11-2004, 12:01 AM
Regarding Tampa Bay, I think we lucked out there. We played them all six times early in the season, before they got their act together.

Kind of same with the Yankees, I don't know if the Twinkies have played them yet.

havelj
07-11-2004, 03:26 PM
This is a 162-game schedule - it all evens out.

The key is not "who" you play, it's "when" you play them.

TDog
07-11-2004, 03:35 PM
Regarding Tampa Bay, I think we lucked out there. We played them all six times early in the season, before they got their act together. IIRC, the D-Rays have won four of six from the Twins this year.
The Twins play the DRays the first series after the break. DRays aren't hot right now, but they've been playing the Yankees.

dcb33
07-11-2004, 04:27 PM
The Twins haven't played the Yankees yet- they play the Yankees in Yankee Stadium as part of a final road trip that takes the Twins here, to the Jake, and to Yankee Stadium...

Lip Man 1
07-11-2004, 09:33 PM
Agreed...when is the issue.

The Twins play New York I think seven times in the last few weeks but the Yankkes have such a good lead right now they certainly will have wrapped up a playoff spot by then and may not be playing all their regulars when they play Minnesota.

Could be a big advantage to the Twins. When the schedule first came out people said 'wow look at those final games...' But the new reality is that the Twins may catch a break there as well.

Lip

Mohoney
07-12-2004, 03:17 AM

I think it was 5 of 7, with a short 2 game series left to play.

Basically, Tampa Bay has already guaranteed a winning record in the season series with the Twins. We beat the Rays 4 out of 6 in April.

Tampa Bay has actually HELPED us gain ground, even if they drop both the remaining games. You might even go so far as to say that the "pattycakes" on Minnesota's schedule are the reason that we're in 1st place at the All Star break.