PDA

View Full Version : A minor problem with watching games at the Cell.

AOEllis
07-10-2004, 10:59 PM
I attend a lot of White Sox games, and most of the time the seats that I get are in the lower deck down the baselines, toward the upper rows because I can get a good view of the field. The biggest problem I have with those seats is the high frequency of people going up and down the aisles blocking my view in the middle of an at bat. It goes one throughout the whole game and gets plain irritating. Other parks I have been to, such as Seattle and San Francisco, do not allow people to enter a seating section during an at bat, so as not to block anyone's view of the game.

How many agree with me that the Cell should adopt this policy? It will be nearly impossible to prohibit people from leaving the section during an at bat, but making them wait until the at bat is completed to walk down will help this problem.

I plan on sending an email to Boyer, what is his email address?

TornLabrum
07-10-2004, 11:04 PM
I attend a lot of White Sox games, and most of the time the seats that I get are in the lower deck down the baselines, toward the upper rows because I can get a good view of the field. The biggest problem I have with those seats is the high frequency of people going up and down the aisles blocking my view in the middle of an at bat. It goes one throughout the whole game and gets plain irritating. Other parks I have been to, such as Seattle and San Francisco, do not allow people to enter a seating section during an at bat, so as not to block anyone's view of the game.

How many agree with me that the Cell should adopt this policy? It will be nearly impossible to prohibit people from leaving the section during an at bat, but making them wait until the at bat is completed to walk down will help this problem.

I couldn't agree with you more. There was an infield hit today by the Mariners that I have no idea what happened because of some yahoo blocking my view.

BTW, they do the same in Minnesota. No one goes down the aisles unless there is a break in the action.

WSox8404
07-10-2004, 11:09 PM
I couldn't agree with you more. There was an infield hit today by the Mariners that I have no idea what happened because of some yahoo blocking my view.

BTW, they do the same in Minnesota. No one goes down the aisles unless there is a break in the action.
Same at the United Center for Hawks' games. Sometimes though play goes on for like 6 or 7 minutes so it sucks.

munchman33
07-10-2004, 11:10 PM
:threadrules:

OEO Magglio
07-10-2004, 11:14 PM
I attend a lot of White Sox games (http://www.adsrve.com/linkredirect.php?h=161,28012355,whitesoxinteractiv e.com,1), and most of the time the seats that I get are in the lower deck down the baselines, toward the upper rows because I can get a good view of the field. The biggest problem I have with those seats is the high frequency of people going up and down the aisles blocking my view in the middle of an at bat. It goes one throughout the whole game and gets plain irritating. Other parks I have been to, such as Seattle and San Francisco, do not allow people to enter a seating section during an at bat, so as not to block anyone's view of the game.

I plan on sending an email to Boyer, what is his email address?I completely agree. It gets very irritating having these people walk up and down the aisles. I don't have brooks email(I'm sure someone here does) but you should definitely send him an email, great idea.:smile:

pl8ump1012
07-10-2004, 11:23 PM
true, it's nearly impossible to prohibit people leaving their seats during an at bat, but perhaps the people will get the idea, "they wouldnt let me come back to my seat last time during an at bat, maybe i should wait to get up."

but then again, some people just refuse to acknowledge the fact that they're not the only people in the stadium (or world) that matter.

bahn1225
07-10-2004, 11:41 PM
I plan on sending an email to Boyer, what is his email address?I think you would get a favorable response by making it a safety issue.
People walking back and forth while the game is in play are less likely to be paying attention should a foul ball be heading their way:cower:

Blob
07-11-2004, 04:17 PM
I whole-heartedly agree with you. That used to irritate me to no end. I actually wait until there is an out or the end of an inning before I go down to my seat. I think everyone else should follow those same rules. It is common courtesy.

greenpeach
07-11-2004, 04:32 PM
Same at the United Center for Hawks' games. Sometimes though play goes on for like 6 or 7 minutes so it sucks.
It's an NHL league wide policy. During play the ushers are instructed not to let any fans walk down the aisles. One of the few things that the NHL has gotten right. :D:

skobabe8
07-11-2004, 04:48 PM
ive never really had a problem like that until i went to wrigley on july 4. I literally missed more of the game than I got to see b/c of this. I was sitting first row behind the aile that runs the length of the third baseline in the UD. It was mostly due to idiot cubs fans who werent even watching the game and just walking around mingling. Sorry gals, but most of the time it was the ladies who had no idea what was going on. But alot of guys too. It did seem that every time a sox fan would walk by, it was in between innings. There was one sox fan i remember distinctively who was walking during an inning. He stopped right in my view and looked like he couldnt find his seat. He then backed up as far as he could and actually crouched down to not block anyones view. BRAVO!! WE'RE SO SMART!!

hsnterprize
07-11-2004, 05:40 PM

I plan on sending an email to Boyer, what is his email address?WhiteSoxBaseball@WhiteSox.MLB.com

Write an intelligent letter to him stating your position, and I can tell you from experience...HE WILL write you back. He's a good guy.

hsnterprize
07-11-2004, 05:42 PM
It's an NHL league wide policy. During play the ushers are instructed not to let any fans walk down the aisles. One of the few things that the NHL has gotten right. :D: The Wolves have the "Wait 'Til the Whistle" rules too. I guess it's a hockey-wide rule to have fans stay in their seats until the whistle blows.

LongLiveFisk
07-11-2004, 06:19 PM
I whole-heartedly agree with you. That used to irritate me to no end. I actually wait until there is an out or the end of an inning before I go down to my seat. I think everyone else should follow those same rules. It is common courtesy.
Same here, and I wait until a half inning is completed before getting up for food, restroom, etc. Maybe every here and there it can't be helped, but by and large people can be a lot more sensible about this.

Good luck though. Unfortunately common courtesy & common sense are two of the toughest things to teach. Some believe that you either have it or you don't! :rolleyes:

jabrch
07-11-2004, 06:33 PM

There's a new thing to gripe about! Nothing personal Ellis - I know you aren't a whiner - but come on - this is a problem at EVERY sporting event unless you sit front row. It's like that at Wrigley, at Soldier Field, at USCF, at the UC. That's the way it is. I wouldn't want to not let people up and down the aisles - if we did that, it would be not "fan-friendly"

This is such a minor problem, if it is one at all. It's part of the game. Baseball games go 2-3 hours. What are the odds that you really will miss something big? I know it sucks when it happens - but that's part of baseball.

Are we reaching for something to complain about now?

bahn1225
07-11-2004, 08:11 PM
This is such a minor problem, if it is one at all. It's part of the game. Baseball games go 2-3 hours. What are the odds that you really will miss something big? I know it sucks when it happens - but that's part of baseball.
I disagree.
This has become a larger problem over the years due to society's lack of common courtesy.
It's one thing if someone has to run to the can;
but it's another thing when someone stands at the aisle and talks about what she bought last week at Woodfield
for an entire inning as I witnessed earlier this year.
No, she was not blocking my view but I'm sure she blocking the view of others.:tsk:

Whitesox029
07-12-2004, 12:32 AM

I plan on sending an email to Boyer, what is his email address?I think that's a little strict. It's just a part of being at the ballpark, people walking up and down. Most of them are vendors anyway, and I don't think those other parks ban vendors do they? Not allowing vendors on the stairs during an at-bat (which comprises most of the game) would defeat the purpose of vendors.

For what it's worth, the upper deck should be steep enough that your view is not obstructed by a person walking up or down the aisle. Maybe you should try watching one game from upstairs just to get a feel for it. It's not really that bad to be honest. It gets a bad rap.

ND_Sox_Fan
07-12-2004, 12:40 AM
For what it's worth, the upper deck should be steep enough that your view is not obstructed by a person walking up or down the aisle. Maybe you should try watching one game from upstairs just to get a feel for it. It's not really that bad to be honest. It gets a bad rap.
My best view also comes from the upper deck. I always sit in the first row of the UD. It is a great view, and you never have to worry about people walking in front of you. I always tell the guy at the ticket window to put me in the first row, regardless of how far out I have to go.

pearso66
07-12-2004, 12:46 AM
I've always left my seat after a half inning, and usually will come back at another half, or between at bats, and if I do go during an at bat, I usually run to my seat, so I don't miss anything myself. Most of the time when my vision is blocked, its from a vendor. One guy sat there talking for a whole 1/2 inning and i missed the whole thing.

Whitesox029
07-12-2004, 12:48 AM
It's an NHL league wide policy. During play the ushers are instructed not to let any fans walk down the aisles. One of the few things that the NHL has gotten right. :D:Actually the last time I was at a Hawks game I had to wait about 5 minutes in an aisle behind an usher and a slew of other people who were taller than I am. This irritated me quite a bit more than all the people who walked in front of me combined during that game, especially since I was in the upper deck. At a hockey game, there is virtually no obstruction by people upstairs because your field of vision including the ice is quite a bit narrower and is always pretty much directly in front of you. It is a bigger problem in baseball, but still not big enough to warrant a rule like that.

As to the safety issue, that wouldn't make a huge difference because you're in just as much danger when you turn your head away from the plate to talk to someone.

Maybe I'm being a bit naive about this, but restrictive rules aren't exactly "fan friendly" as I think someone already pointed out.

Those guys in the parking lot are annoying enough......"No HERE! HERE! PULL ALL THE WAY UP! ALL THE WAY UP I SAID!!"

Save it for the army base, guys....

thepaulbowski
07-12-2004, 08:18 AM
As much as I agree with the premise of this thread, you have the problem of people getting up at the wrong time at all sporting events...Bears games seem to be the worse sometimes. People who don't attend games very often or are casual fans may not know the "rules of ettique," similar to a guy who only golfs a few times a year may not know golf ettique. Look at the bright side, at least there are people at the park to get in your way now. :redneck

Jerko
07-12-2004, 09:45 AM
I don't know why you have to be a real fan to know the "rules of etiquette". Your big ass is either in soemone's way or it isn't, no matter how many games you attend. If people can't realize on their own that standing in front of somebody makes it hard for them to see, then maybe they SHOULD be told about it in the form of some type of policy. I don't even use my seat anymore; the last time I sat in my seat I had to get up no less than 7 times in less than an inning and it gets downright annoying. I just stand in the concourse now and save myself some aggravation. If I wanted to join an aerobics class and do squat thrusts for 3 hours I wouldn't do it at a ball game. Stay in your dam seat and watch the game or go home; you're not paying attention anyway so get out or go to Wrigley.

SaltyPretzel
07-12-2004, 10:01 AM
What I don't understand is why some people find it necessary to stand up while buying a beer. If you need to stand up to get your wallet out of your pocket, fine. But there's no need to remain standing for the duration of the transaction.:mad:

Dadawg_77
07-12-2004, 10:22 AM
I used to work as a Andy Frian usher over at Wolves, so some people got testy when I was enforcing hockey etiquette. The bigger hockey fans understood and liked the fact we were enforcing it, but the casual fan had no clue. I find it funny when usher tell to move along when you are waiting for an at bat to conclude and when you explain what you are doing they look at you funny.

As a fan I love the idea of hockey etiquette at baseball games. Yesterday my father was at the game, and in the row in front of him an entire family got up to leave just as the 8th inning was starting. I mean if they left minute earlier they would have left between innings but it seemed they waited till the first pitch was thrown.