PDA

View Full Version : A's ink Mulder to four-year, $14.2 million contract extension

Jerry_Manuel
09-26-2001, 07:01 PM
Good for him.

A's ink Mulder (http://msn.espn.go.com/mlb/news/2001/0926/1255678.html)

LongDistanceFan
09-26-2001, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Good for him.

A's ink Mulder (http://msn.espn.go.com/mlb/news/2001/0926/1255678.html) i am really surprise of the money.......... either he is a good kid, or have a lousy agent.

KempersRS
09-26-2001, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
i am really surprise of the money.......... either he is a good kid, or have a lousy agent.

Hudson was the jackass, right? Wasn't Mulder, was it?

Jerry_Manuel
09-26-2001, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by KempersRS
Hudson was the jackass, right? Wasn't Mulder, was it?

I'm not sure what your talking about Mr. Positive. Are you talking about when Buehrle hit Giambi and Hudson was swearing at him?

KempersRS
09-26-2001, 07:17 PM

I'm not sure what your talking about Mr. Positive. Are you talking about when Buehrle hit Giambi and Hudson was swearing at him?

Yeah, that was it. I didn't remember if it was Hudson or Mulder.

FarWestChicago
09-26-2001, 07:24 PM

Yeah, that was it. I didn't remember if it was Hudson or Mulder. It wasn't X-Files.

KempersRS
09-26-2001, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
It wasn't X-Files.

That wasn't one of your best. You've done better than that, West, MUCH better... :)

FarWestChicago
09-26-2001, 07:35 PM

That wasn't one of your best. You've done better than that, West, MUCH better... That's not mine. He is called X-Files.

Jerry_Manuel
09-26-2001, 07:35 PM
That wasn't one of your best. You've done better than that, West, MUCH better... :

Mr. Positive this isn't Def Comedy Jam!
:)

Jerry_Manuel
09-26-2001, 07:36 PM
He is called X-Files.

:clueless
Or overrated phenom..

KempersRS
09-26-2001, 07:36 PM
That's not mine. He is called X-Files.

Who came up with that?! Thats almost as bad as a Berman.

Tragg
09-26-2001, 11:04 PM
The As got him damn cheap.

And foulke wants 8 million a year? I don't think so.

LongDistanceFan
09-26-2001, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Tragg

And foulke wants 8 million a year? I don't think so. so i take it you don't think foulke is worth that much....... compared to other relievers, i may think he is worth it.

Tragg
09-26-2001, 11:16 PM
relievers aren't worth nearly what staters are worth.

Foulke isn't as good or as valuable as Mulder, not to mention more than twice as valuable.

LongDistanceFan
09-26-2001, 11:18 PM
relievers aren't worth nearly what staters are worth.

Foulke isn't as good or as valuable as Mulder, not to mention more than twice as valuable. i wonder what our record would look like if we didn't have foulke and relied on who, howry as closer?

you have a point of mulder salary, i think we are in agreement there, or he had a lousy agent.

Tragg
09-26-2001, 11:34 PM
foulke's a good pitcher - certainly the best reliever we have. I just think we could spend 8K a year a lot better (ss?, cf? c?), and get a closer out of our pitching rich minors.

Foulke's a good player - he's worth 4 mill a year - I just don't see him as a great player. I don't think he's ever made the all star team (not a decisive point, as torre has not exactly been sox friendly when filling out the roster).
I like him and I hope he stays on the team.

GASHWOUND
09-26-2001, 11:56 PM

And foulke wants 8 million a year? I don't think so.

Now thats cheap. His agent should be fired. If thats the best he could do, thats pitaful. But why would Mulder agree to sign that cheap. He should be gettin 10 millio a year. That dude is a solid ptcher.

LongDistanceFan
09-27-2001, 12:14 AM
foulke's a good pitcher - certainly the best reliever we have. I just think we could spend 8K a year a lot better (ss?, cf? c?), and get a closer out of our pitching rich minors.

Foulke's a good player - he's worth 4 mill a year - I just don't see him as a great player. I don't think he's ever made the all star team (not a decisive point, as torre has not exactly been sox friendly when filling out the roster).
I like him and I hope he stays on the team. and where did you get a figure of 4 mil????????? justify that amount. I personally think he worth 6.5 -7 mil

Randar68
09-27-2001, 08:54 AM
Now thats cheap. His agent should be fired. If thats the best he could do, thats pitaful. But why would Mulder agree to sign that cheap. He should be gettin 10 millio a year. That dude is a solid ptcher.

1) The guys only got a little over 40 career decisions.
2) He's not arbitration eligible until after the 2002 season
3) With a signing bonus and escalating clauses, the deal could turn out great for Mulder, great for the A's, or both!
4) The money he's getting by the time he turns 28, no complaints
5) When an organization shows interest in locking up it's top young talent to fair long-term deals during which arbitration is the norm, players return that respect more often than not. Now you see what going to arbitration time after time has done to the desire and willingness of Sox players to give a home-town discount or incentivated deal...

ma-gaga
09-27-2001, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Randar68

1) The guys only got a little over 40 career decisions.
2) He's not arbitration eligible until after the 2002 season
3) With a signing bonus and escalating clauses, the deal could turn out great for Mulder, great for the A's, or both!
4) The money he's getting by the time he turns 28, no complaints
5) When an organization shows interest in locking up it's top young talent to fair long-term deals during which arbitration is the norm, players return that respect more often than not. Now you see what going to arbitration time after time has done to the desire and willingness of Sox players to give a home-town discount or incentivated deal...

I agree. It's sad when people think that a 'star' pitcher should be earning $10M+ a year. They signed him through his arbitration years. Instead of fighting and haggling for an extra $500k each and every year, they have it all worked out now for the next 4 years.

Milton did the same thing with the Twinkies last spring. I do admit, it does seems cheap. I guess you can blame $252M, pretty boy, Pedro, pre-injured :XL and Kevin Brown... Plus the mouth piece for Chan-Ho Park is claiming he's going to need to be PAID after this year...

:payrod
'greatest shortstop ever'

LongDistanceFan
09-27-2001, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

Now you see what going to arbitration time after time has done to the desire and willingness of Sox players to give a home-town discount or incentivated deal... but are todays players willing to give the home town a discount? There are very few of those players........... it seems to me, that all the players want to the max that then can get.......... then who is to blame them.

Joel Perez
09-27-2001, 01:26 PM
We should be wondering what :burly is thinking about now...

Randar68
09-27-2001, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Joel Perez
We should be wondering what :burly is thinking about now...

"Man, I wish JR gave pitchers long-term contracts...I guess I'll just have to fight through 4 years or arbitration and the inevitable distaste for Sox management before skedaddling as fast as possible...."

doublem23
09-27-2001, 07:41 PM
Good for him.

A's ink Mulder (http://msn.espn.go.com/mlb/news/2001/0926/1255678.html)

Dang! I would have liked to see Mulder come back home to the South Side. Oh well...

I hope Unlce Jerry is taking notes. Sign the young pitchers. SIGN THE YOUNG PITCHERS!