PDA

View Full Version : Attn KW & Uncle Jerry. SOX NEED MAGGS

Hangar18
07-10-2004, 01:20 PM
quit being jerks.......and trying to make the guy look bad by putting junk
out in the Media. Were not Cub fans, and were not going to just Blindly believe everything we read. We see what your doing. Give Maggs His Money. You havnt had a position player who has deserved this more than Magglio. Us fans will get on him to Accept ..........You are FOOLISH if you think we can survive without Magglio ,,,,,,,,,esp Considering the Cubs are quietly starting to head, yet again, towards the WhiteSox trash can and want Maggs bad. That would be a Humongous PR Nitemare. SIGN MAGGS, and Quit F'n
Around. signed. SOXFANS

SEALgep
07-10-2004, 01:24 PM
You're jumping the gun Hangar. We all want Maggs back next year, but not at any cost. What exactly have the Sox been putting out there to make Maggs look like the bad guy. KW said we made an offer that they think is fair and that we only know if negotiations will continue by how Maggs moves from there. That's the biggest Maggs slam ever! You have to be careful, and utilize the payroll to it's maximum. Otherwise you get stuck Sosa paying $16 million a year. As I said, We all want Maggs back next year, but not at any cost.

lowesox
07-10-2004, 01:41 PM
Well, I for one am exhausted about this whole Maggs re-signing thing. Especially because I don't think the Sox really believe they're going to sign him. Personally, I think this is just another pathetic attempt by Sox brass to look as though they tried.

Randar68
07-10-2004, 01:46 PM
out in the Media. Were not Cub fans, and were not going to just Blindly believe everything we read. We see what your doing. Give Maggs His Money. You havnt had a position player who has deserved this more than Magglio. Us fans will get on him to Accept ..........You are FOOLISH if you think we can survive without Magglio ,,,,,,,,,esp Considering the Cubs are quietly starting to head, yet again, towards the WhiteSox trash can and want Maggs bad. That would be a Humongous PR Nitemare. SIGN MAGGS, and Quit F'n
Around. signed. SOXFANS
Hangar, how long you been on this site?

You still haven't learned how too format you messages so they're readable?

come on!

Hangar18
07-10-2004, 01:56 PM
Hangar, how long you been on this site?

You still haven't learned how too format you messages so they're readable?

come on!
:(:

munchman33
07-10-2004, 02:07 PM
Hangar I usually agree with you on things, but not in this case. I'm among a very large WSI contigent that doesn't believe Maggs is worth the money he's asking. At $14 million per season, I'd much rather have Edgar Renterria, who's a free agent after this year.

SEALgep
07-10-2004, 02:14 PM
Well, I for one am exhausted about this whole Maggs re-signing thing. Especially because I don't think the Sox really believe they're going to sign him. Personally, I think this is just another pathetic attempt by Sox brass to look as though they tried.What pathetic attempt?

Brian26
07-10-2004, 02:44 PM
Hangar I usually agree with you on things, but not in this case. I'm among a very large WSI contigent that doesn't believe Maggs is worth the money he's asking. At $14 million per season, I'd much rather have Edgar Renterria, who's a free agent after this year.
Look at what Mags did last night-

A couple of big hits on his first night back. It looks like he never left. This guy is a leader in more ways than one, and I'm beginning to think that he's worth every penny of the $14 million. Pitchers are a different animal, and the Colon non-signing seems to have worked to our benefit. Position players with the kind of talent Mags has, across the board, don't come cheaply.

Jerome
07-10-2004, 03:46 PM
What if Joe Borchard and Aaron Rowand tear it up the last few months?

TaylorStSox
07-10-2004, 04:19 PM

A couple of big hits on his first night back. It looks like he never left. This guy is a leader in more ways than one, and I'm beginning to think that he's worth every penny of the $14 million. Pitchers are a different animal, and the Colon non-signing seems to have worked to our benefit. Position players with the kind of talent Mags has, across the board, don't come cheaply.

He gets a couple hits last night and now he's worth $14? :?:

Flight #24
07-10-2004, 04:31 PM

Last I heard, they were at or very close to the $14mil he was asking for. The difference was some deferral in yr5 (which supposedly couldn't be deferred more than 2 years by MLB rules). That basically means that they're giving Maggs what he wants and asking for something along the lines of a small bit of protection (i.e. the value of a 2-year deferral). Without running a calculation, I'd guess that the impact to Maggs is something like a couple of hundred K. It also happens to be the same type of thing that one of his comparable contracts got - Tejada.

If Maggs isn't willing to budge when the team's giving him more than he's worth (i.e. he's worth less than Vlady and Vlady got $14), and isn't willing to come down at all to give the team the slightest bit of potential flexibility in the event that he's injured/unable to perform-- then it seems to me that his "I want to resign and will even take a small discount to do so" is a bunch of lip service and what he REALLY wants to do is hit the open market and try to develop a bidding war in hope someone gives him a ridiculous contract.

Frater Perdurabo
07-10-2004, 06:12 PM
Give Maggs $14 million per year for five years with nothing deferred. He's extremely important to the Sox, even more so with Frank's injury.

Increased attendance will pay for Maggs' contract. Plus, I'm starting to think that Loaiza may not be worth re-signing what another team might be willing to pay him.

However, if Maggs' agent plays hardball and decides to exploit the Sox situation with Frank out, then let him walk.

Maggs is not worth $15 or $16 million or more per year. I want him back, and he's worth $14 million per year to this team, but not more.

Brian26
07-10-2004, 06:16 PM
He gets a couple hits last night and now he's worth $14? :?:
14 dollars? No.

14 million? Yes, I think so.

SEALgep
07-10-2004, 06:39 PM
14 dollars? No.

14 million? Yes, I think so.It's real easy to say what he's worth, but what it really boils down to, can we pay it and still be real competitive, including having a desirable pitching staff.

jabrch
07-10-2004, 07:28 PM
Around. signed. SOXFANS

Speak for yourself. All Sox fans don't want us to overpay and have no protection for the back end of a big contract. (See Belle, Albert)

CanOfCorn
07-10-2004, 07:46 PM
The Maggs situation makes me nervous.

I can't stomach giving him $14M per year, but at the same time, he is absolutely necessary to have in the lineup. He's one guy who can be counted on to not be a rally killer.

It's one of the 1,527 things about which I haven't been able to form a full opinion this year.

munchman33
07-10-2004, 10:05 PM

We can play that game every night. Tonight he looked lost up there. Maggs is talented, but he's not that talented. You guys need to take your Sox goggles off and take a look at the real Maggs. He puts up good numbers, but lets not forget his propensity for not coming up big, especially with runners on first and less than two outs. Last year, the guy lead the league in GIDP. The truth is he's a little selfish in key situations, and will get himself out instead of taking a walk, like a real superstar would.

:hurt
"He's talkin' bout me"

Basten
07-11-2004, 04:20 PM
Around. signed. SOXFANS
What has Magglio done in the last 2 years that makes him REMOTELY worthy of 14-15 Mill a year?

You may or may not be rigtht about a PR nightmare - so, should Sox pay 20 Mill a year to avoid it at any cost? 30?