PDA

View Full Version : Checking in on Clueless

NUCatsFan
09-26-2001, 05:23 PM
So I was at lunch today, and it was one of those places that has the newspaper up on the wall in front of the urinals. Anyway, one was the front page of the SJ Mercury sports section, which, as we all know, is the newest home of Skip. The article I read, essentially, blasts any opposing manager for *gasp* actually pitching to Bonds. According to him, Barry should just be given an IBB on every at bat for the rest of the season. How about this nugget, concerning James Baldwin:

Baldwin obviously didn't think so. I often had the frustrating assignment of watching and listening to Baldwin for the last three seasons in Chicago, where he pitched for the White Sox. His lively right arm often disconnected from what there was of his brain.

Even out here in California, he brought his hatred of our Beloved with him.

charlie browned
09-26-2001, 11:16 PM
I often had the frustrating assignment of watching and listening to Baldwin for the last three seasons in Chicago, where he pitched for the White Sox. His lively right arm often disconnected from what there was of his brain.

I often had the frustrating assignment of reading and gagging on Clueless over coffee and cereal for the last three seasons in Chicago, where he wrote for the Cubune. His lively, word-processing fingers often disconnected from what there was of his brain.

(I couldn't resist)

Tragg
09-26-2001, 11:18 PM
Is that bayless? With the san jose news?

Nice upward-moving career there bayless. (no offense there, san jose, but san jose mkt isn't chicago)

voodoochile
09-26-2001, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
Is that bayless? With the san jose news?

Nice upward-moving career there bayless. (no offense there, san jose, but san jose mkt isn't chicago)

Yeah, I imagine his effective audience went from 2.5 Million (it's a guess) to 500K or less... Just to clarify this is NOT the way a career path is usually laid out...

FarWestChicago
09-26-2001, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Yeah, I imagine his effective audience went from 2.5 Million (it's a guess) to 500K or less... Just to clarify this is NOT the way a career path is usually laid out... And one less when I cancelled my subscription.

KempersRS
09-26-2001, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
And one less when I cancelled my subscription.

Lol, I would have to love to been there when you called them up for that one. I know you told us before, but still, WTG West!

voodoochile
09-26-2001, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
And one less when I cancelled my subscription.

My bad... Make it 499,999 effective audience...

:)

FarWestChicago
09-26-2001, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by KempersRS

Lol, I would have to love to been there when you called them up for that one. I know you told us before, but still, WTG West! LOL! The guy was shocked. But, he typed my reason for cancelling into their database. He was trying to offer me stuff to remain a customer until I unloaded on Cluless. That's when he said I understand and cancelled my last bill.

NUCatsFan
09-27-2001, 01:09 AM
I was actually going to get a subscription to the Merc (I've been out here a year, and I haven't gotten a newspaper subscription yet) until this happened. I wouldn't even have seen today's little tidbit if I hadn't gone to the bathroom at the restaurant :)

FarWestChicago
09-27-2001, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by NUCatsFan
I was actually going to get a subscription to the Merc (I've been out here a year, and I haven't gotten a newspaper subscription yet) until this happened. I wouldn't even have seen today's little tidbit if I hadn't gone to the bathroom at the restaurant :) I got the Chronicle for years before I left the area for a while. I got the Merc when I came back. The Chron isn't bad. Go for that if you're gonna get a paper. The Merc is now taboo!

charlie browned
09-27-2001, 11:16 AM
He's on the mark with this (http://www.bayarea.com/c/category/sports_and_recreation/columnists/bayless/docs/bayless20.htm), though (from a few days ago):

. I have spent the past four seasons around one of the great actors of our time -- Sosa.

Off camera, Sosa can be every bit the ``bad guy'' Bonds is upfront. Sosa's image survived a spousal abuse charge. Sosa is no after-hours saint. He clashed with several Chicago Cubs teammates. Mark Grace wound up in Arizona because, as insiders will tell you, he or Sosa had to go before their differences exploded publicly.

After the 1998 season, McGwire confided to St. Louis writers how amazed he was that Sosa made fans believe the two were off-season golfing buddies. Their only conversations occurred when Sosa was on first base. Sosa can play the game off the field as brilliantly as Bonds can on it.

Sosa is made for gullible mass appeal. Easily amused fans still want easily identifiable ``heroes'' and ``villains.'' Sammy sends kisses to his mother and launches home runs that appear on O'Hare International Airport's radar. He's a ``hero.'' Bonds is ripped by teammates in Sports Illustrated and hits too many first-row homers. He's a ``villain.''

cheeses_h_rice
09-27-2001, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by charlie browned
He's on the mark with this (http://www.bayarea.com/c/category/sports_and_recreation/columnists/bayless/docs/bayless20.htm), though (from a few days ago):

. I have spent the past four seasons around one of the great actors of our time -- Sosa.

Off camera, Sosa can be every bit the ``bad guy'' Bonds is upfront. Sosa's image survived a spousal abuse charge. Sosa is no after-hours saint. He clashed with several Chicago Cubs teammates. Mark Grace wound up in Arizona because, as insiders will tell you, he or Sosa had to go before their differences exploded publicly.

After the 1998 season, McGwire confided to St. Louis writers how amazed he was that Sosa made fans believe the two were off-season golfing buddies. Their only conversations occurred when Sosa was on first base. Sosa can play the game off the field as brilliantly as Bonds can on it.

Sosa is made for gullible mass appeal. Easily amused fans still want easily identifiable ``heroes'' and ``villains.'' Sammy sends kisses to his mother and launches home runs that appear on O'Hare International Airport's radar. He's a ``hero.'' Bonds is ripped by teammates in Sports Illustrated and hits too many first-row homers. He's a ``villain.''

Christ, why can't these writers speak this Truth while they're still in this stupid city?!? Gutless, absolutely gutless. You gotta wonder what the Moron really thinks.

:moron

I don't do sacrilege.

Jerry_Manuel
09-27-2001, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Christ, why can't these writers speak this Truth while they're still in this stupid city?!? Gutless, absolutely gutless. You gotta wonder what the Moron really thinks.

Because the Tribune is not going to put a story that bashes their team's hero on the front page of their sports section. Besides even if they did the cub fans would say he is trying to run Sosa out of town.