07-09-2004, 10:24 PM
That was much better.

:winner

SEALgep
07-09-2004, 10:25 PM
I'll take it. :bandance:

mealfred13
07-09-2004, 10:25 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem like maggs was cryogenically frozen for a month and then thawed out last night?

Hasn't skipped a beat. Picked up right where he left off.

Kenny needs to sign this guy immediately.

gobears1987
07-09-2004, 10:27 PM
Maggs looked good and surprised me, I expected him to get 3 SOs since he hasn't seen much pitching. He is the key to our offense

Frater Perdurabo
07-09-2004, 10:27 PM
Garland grew up a whole lot tonight. He showed me something. He is a different pitcher this year than last. He's leapfrogged Loaiza in this rotation.

gobears1987
07-09-2004, 10:28 PM
That is 2 good outings in a row where he went 7 innings for 1 ER. Good job Jon.

SEALgep
Garland grew up a whole lot tonight. He showed me something. He is a different pitcher this year than last. He's leapfrogged Loaiza in this rotation.I agree he is a much better pitcher, but keep in mind, it was Seattle.

gobears1987
KW better pay up we need MAGGS

Frater Perdurabo
Maybe Maggs WAS working in a batting cage during his layoff.

Get on the phone with Maggs' agent, Kenny. If he can keep this up, perhaps losing Frank to the DL won't be such a disaster.

mealfred13
07-09-2004, 10:29 PM
Looks like Lee found his power numbers tonight. Those were some monster homeruns.

gobears1987
07-09-2004, 10:30 PM
Maybe Maggs WAS working in a batting cage during his layoff.

Get on the phone with Maggs' agent, Kenny. If he can keep this up, perhaps losing Frank to the DL won't be such a disaster.
The cage won't prepare you for RL pitching. I was surprised he didn't strike out alot. Pleasantly surprised that is. Kudos to Maggs.

SEALgep
07-09-2004, 10:30 PM
KW better pay up we need MAGGSAlright, let's keep things in perspective guys. The Maggs situation hasn't changed at all. We don't want him to go, but we can't give him a blank check.

gobears1987
07-09-2004, 10:31 PM
With the increased attendance and therefore money we can pay him enough. I would take Maggs over Frank anyday.

Frater Perdurabo
07-09-2004, 10:31 PM
I agree he is a much better pitcher, but keep in mind, it was Seattle.
Oh of course. But Seattle, though they have a poor record, are more dangerous than their record indicates, and tonight was a good win.

Garland's win tonight only builds upon his general improvement over the course of this season.

SEALgep
07-09-2004, 10:32 PM
Oh of course. But Seattle, though they have a poor record, are more dangerous than their record indicates, and tonight was a good win.

Garland's win tonight only builds upon his general improvement over the course of this season.Agreed.

OurBitchinMinny
Garland grew up a whole lot tonight. He showed me something. He is a different pitcher this year than last. He's leapfrogged Loaiza in this rotation.
I think pretty much everyone has leapfrogged Elo. He and SS are fighting over who should be the #5.

Buerhle Garland and Garica are clearly the top 3. But our all star is the #4/5

mealfred13
Alright, let's keep things in perspective guys. The Maggs situation hasn't changed at all. We don't want him to go, but we can't give him a blank check.
At least he looked like he was really enjoying himself out there with his teammates. Hopefully he really DOES want to stay with the Sox and he's not just blowing smoke up our [donkey]s.

Frater Perdurabo
With the increased attendance and therefore money we can pay him enough. I would take Maggs over Frank anyday.
Should be enough to pay both of them. They just need to find hitters to bat leadoff and #2, and this offense will really click.

SEALgep
07-09-2004, 10:33 PM
With the increased attendance and therefore money we can pay him enough. I would take Maggs over Frank anyday.Pay day has nothing to do with Frank and everything to do with Maggs overall value in comparison to our other needs.

gobears1987

Garland's win tonight only builds upon his general improvement over the course of this season. Amen, Garland will be a solid person in our rotation if he stays in a game mentally. He loaded the bases tonight and didn't fold. that is a good sign. Pitching is about half mental and that part has usually been Jon's trouble, but it seems he is improving immensly there.

OurBitchinMinny
You would be insane not to. Frank is a .260 to .270 hitter at best and he Ks too much. Frank has been great, but he is on the downside. If maggs signs long term, he will go down as the best hitter in sox history

SEALgep
07-09-2004, 10:34 PM
At least he looked like he was really enjoying himself out there with his teammates. Hopefully he really DOES want to stay with the Sox and he's not just blowing smoke up our [donkey]s.I hope so too, because that's the only way he would stay at this point IMO. I haven't given up hope, I just want to make sure we have a good overall club for years to come.

SEALgep
07-09-2004, 10:36 PM
You would be insane not to. Frank is a .260 to .270 hitter at best and he Ks too much. Frank has been great, but he is on the downside. If maggs signs long term, he will go down as the best hitter in sox historyDon't short change Frank's overall hitting career. Maggs has a way to go to surpass what he's done. Besides, .260-.270 with his production while hurt isn't so bad.

mealfred13
07-09-2004, 10:37 PM
Just interviewed Maggs during the postgame. Said he was nervous about playing this game and he felt like it was his first time playing. Said he got some good swings in and he was genuinely impressed with Carlos' hitting today.

[Edit] I didn't interview him, if that's how it sounded :tongue:

sendimjoey
07-09-2004, 10:38 PM
But is anyone else getting tired of Lee posing at home plate when he thinks he's hit one out? His first home run was no more than two or three rows back. I kind of understand the second one -- he shellacked that one. Has he already forgotten what happened in that game against Cleveland when he got thrown out at second base? It's not as bad as the Soso hop, but still ... just run when you hit it.

greenpeach
07-09-2004, 10:38 PM
Jon Garland is quickly becoming our most consistent starter. It's kind of refreshing with this club.

pissonthecubs
07-09-2004, 10:39 PM
always good to see a white sox winner. was very good to see Mags come back tonight not showing any rust, CLee swinging the bat real well, and really really good to see Jon Garland come out tonight and shut down that he should have and not giving up easy runs. he worked 7 strong innings and didn't fade until the last two batters in the seventh, but was able to get the job done!!! WAY TO GO!

mealfred13
07-09-2004, 10:39 PM
Jon Garland is quickly becoming our most consistent starter. It's kind of refreshing with this club.
Let's not forget Buehrle of late. He's been doing alot better since Coop got him to start throwing inside more often again.

owensmouth
07-09-2004, 10:40 PM
Looks like we're back to put a guy on base and wait for a home run...it's grand when it works

OurBitchinMinny
07-09-2004, 10:40 PM
Im not shortchanging him. As of right now frank is the best hitter in sox history IMO. However his production has been down the last few years. Im talking compared to previous years in his career and to the league leaders. No question this lineup is better with thomas in it, but this team can win w/o him. At this point Im more confident getting maggs back then losing frank. We will get a chance to see what borchard can do for a while. I hope frank comes back, but they should be ok w/o him

Daver
07-09-2004, 10:48 PM
Im not shortchanging him. As of right now frank is the best hitter in sox history IMO.
You need to do some homework.

Frank for the first ten years of his career put up numbers that has him in the company of the top ten hitters in baseball history.

Mohoney
07-09-2004, 10:50 PM
Should be enough to pay both of them. They just need to find hitters to bat leadoff and #2, and this offense will really click.

Jason Kendall and Steve Finley

OurBitchinMinny
07-09-2004, 10:51 PM

Frank for the first ten years of his career put up numbers that has him in the company of the top ten hitters in baseball history. Wouldnt that make him the best hitter in sox history? I agree that he put up #'s with some of the all time greats in his first 10 year. I dont see why I need to do HW. I basically just said that. But he is not that player anymore. I think .300+, 35-40 HR, and 120+ RBIS when I think frank thomas.

mealfred13
07-09-2004, 10:53 PM
Well looks like the Tigers took a bite out of the Twins and put as at 1.5 games back. Thank you tigers. Try not to be too hard on us when we play you 532 times before the end of the regular season.

OurBitchinMinny
07-09-2004, 10:53 PM
This schedule sucks. We are gonna see the tigers like every other series from the end of july on. And they dont suck anymore

mealfred13
07-09-2004, 10:57 PM
Wouldnt that make him the best hitter in sox history? I agree that he put up #'s with some of the all time greats in his first 10 year. I dont see why I need to do HW. I basically just said that. But he is not that player anymore. I think .300+, 35-40 HR, and 120+ RBIS when I think frank thomas.
"2-time AL MVP with Chicago (1993,94); 5-time All Star; first player in MLB history to hit .300, hit at least 20 home runs and have over 100 walks, RBIs and runs scored in seven straight seasons; has hit 40 home runs 5 times (1993,95,96,00,03)"

That about says it all.

sendimjoey
07-09-2004, 10:57 PM
Wouldnt that make him the best hitter in sox history? I agree that he put up #'s with some of the all time greats in his first 10 year. I dont see why I need to do HW. I basically just said that. But he is not that player anymore. I think .300+, 35-40 HR, and 120+ RBIS when I think frank thomas.

I love Magglio Ordonez and think he's had an excellent career so far, but he will need to have four or five seasons like your expectations for Frank Thomas to pull even with the Big Hurt on a career basis.

Flight #24
07-09-2004, 10:58 PM
The payroll/budget doesn't seem to be the issue, Maggs pricetag v. value does. From all the reports I've seen, he wants a Tejada/Vlady deal.....but without any option or deferred money. Well, any deferred money can only be deferred by 2 years, and Tejada does that in his deal. The cost to Maggs is minimal. If the Sox are at all close to what he originally asked for (as was reported), and there's a 2 year deferral on part of it, then if that's preventing Maggs from signing then he doesn't want to be here and is using it as an excuse.

mealfred13
07-09-2004, 10:58 PM
This schedule sucks. We are gonna see the tigers like every other series from the end of july on. And they dont suck anymore
Well they have been putting up a lot of runs. Hopefully our pitching can keep us in some games long enough for our hitting to pick us up. I don't think the Tigers' pitching has been all that great this year.

pissonthecubs
07-09-2004, 10:59 PM

Frank for the first ten years of his career put up numbers that has him in the company of the top ten hitters in baseball history.
even with Frank's seasons that he was off of his early career numbers, the last couple of seasons have put him back up there maybe in the top ten hitters of all time , and without a doubt in the top twenty.

WHITE SOX BASEBALL: THE MAYOR LIKES US BETTER!

Iron Dragon
07-09-2004, 11:02 PM
I was pumped to see Maggs not only not K 3 or 4 times, but get an RBI double in his 2nd AB. And with Garland, I was waiting for the meltdown when he loaded the bases the inning after the homerun. As another poster said, he showed me something tonight...mental toughness. Keep it up, Jon!

Win1ForMe
07-09-2004, 11:15 PM
Carlos Lee's latest power surge (5 HRs in 8 games) has brought back memories of last year's monster second half. I know one guy can't replace Frank but if Carlos gets going, he can at least make losing Frank easier to take.

WSox8404
07-09-2004, 11:19 PM
Carlos Lee's latest power surge (5 HRs in 8 games) has brought back memories of last year's monster second half. I know one guy can't replace Frank but if Carlos gets going, he can at least make losing Frank easier to take.
You got that right. If Carlos stays hot, Mags stays hot, and Konerko stays hot, we are in for some fun. Oh for the leadoff hitter.....

Frankfan4life
07-09-2004, 11:25 PM
Just got back from the game tonight and it was another goodie. What a great evening! The Sox win, the Twinkies lost, Maggs is back, the rain stayed away, St. Louie won and I got nesting dolls too! Life is good! :D:

Scotty347
07-09-2004, 11:43 PM
Nice win! Hope Borchard gets the start tomorrow - it will be fun to see how he does.

Monster HR by Carlos. Nice pitching from Garland. And Shingo shakes off the rust.

pudge
07-09-2004, 11:43 PM
I got seats just a few rows in front of the bullpen, close enough to yell "JUDY, DON'T CHOKE!" loud enough for Garland to hear.
Classy.

kcsportscaster
07-09-2004, 11:59 PM
OH YEAH, another HUGE win!!!! While only seeing highlights, the offense continues to get it done again, especially with El Caballo's two homers. I think this will get him on a tear for the next several games. Finally, Maggs is back in the lineup. If he just focuses on the task at hand and forgets about the contract negotiations, Maggs will be just what DA SOX needed with Big Frank apparently on the D-L and possibly needing surgery. Hopefully, he will not need surgery and will return to the lineup sooner than expected. DA SOX MUST keep this going, especially with Mark Buehrle on the mound Saturday night and just focus on pounding the Mariners in the last two games.

DickAllen72
07-10-2004, 12:01 AM
Why was the crowd so small tonight? 21,000 for a Friday night with good weather??? Yikes!

I'll be there tomorrow.

A.T. Money
07-10-2004, 12:05 AM
Since it became awfully clear that I wouldn't be able to get the nesting dolls without going to the game, I decided to make a last minute appearence in Section 158. I took the car instead of the el (grr...parking fee) so I managed to get the dolls. I got seats just a few rows in front of the bullpen, close enough to yell "JUDY, DON'T CHOKE!" loud enough for Garland to hear. He appeared to have taken my advice to heart.

I usually sit in section 159. Today, I wasn't there, and what happens? Two homeruns go into Section 159, including that monster shot by Carlos. That thing went 20+ rows deep. A wonderful sight.

Sitting in front of me was a family who had come in from Cincinatti; a grandfather, his son, and two grandkids. One of the grandkids had become a Cub fan and was wearing Cubs gear, the others were all Red fans. Sitting next to me were three Cub fans dressed up in Boston, Oakland, and Detroit gear. As the St. Louis runs multiplied, I turned over to give the Cub fans crap, but they had mysteriously disapeared, and I lamented this fact out loud; not to worry, though; the family in front of me gave their little Cubbie boy tons of crap to make up for it.
:troll
:dtroll:

Frankfan4life
07-10-2004, 12:08 AM
Why was the crowd so small tonight? 21,000 for a Friday night with good weather??? Yikes!

I'll be there tomorrow.I was also shocked by the size of the crowd. What gives Sox fans? I guess most people will show up tomorrow for the fireworks. Also, the weather was a little suspect late in the afternoon. Still, I expected more people tonight.

LongLiveFisk
07-10-2004, 12:33 AM
I was also shocked by the size of the crowd. What gives Sox fans? I guess most people will show up tomorrow for the fireworks. Also, the weather was a little suspect late in the afternoon. Still, I expected more people tonight.
Well, I was there and very glad I went! :bandance:

Vernam
07-10-2004, 12:59 AM
Why was the crowd so small tonight? 21,000 for a Friday night with good weather??? Yikes!I pulled into the south lot at 6:00 and was shocked to see how empty it was, especially compared to Thursday's afternoon crowd. Asked the parking attendant where everyone was, and she said, "It's early." Wrong -- it was discouraging to see the vacant seats never fill up.

People missed a good game, much more confidence-instilling than the one that broke the losing streak. There's no saying whether Ozzie succeeded in lighting a fire under them on Thurs, or if the odds finally turned in their favor. But it's good to see he's not going to tolerate complacency. Nice to have a manager who isn't afraid to show he gives a damn, even when it makes him look borderline silly or psycho. :gulp:

Vernam

milrtyme28
07-10-2004, 02:09 AM
it was a small crowd - i had figured there to be a lot of people there tonight. thats ok - it was a fun game to watch. I was suprised at the number of mariner fans tho - i was sitting in sec 117 and it seemed like most of the people around me were all mariners fans. ( there were about 4-5 flubbie fans sitting behind me as well )

I loved shingos new intro and putting the post-game interview on the jumbotron is kinda cool too.

inta
07-10-2004, 02:15 AM
yeah i too was wondering where the heck everyone was. we got 27000 yesterday and only 21000 today?
i guess most sox fans thought the rainy weather was going to stick... i did too but took a chance on the game, and i'm glad i did.

inta
07-10-2004, 02:17 AM
and putting the post-game interview on the jumbotron is kinda cool too.
yeah that was a great idea.
but it kind of freaked me out when they said "stay around to watch ozzies press conference on the jumbotron"
i thought for sure they were going to announce a huge blockbuster trade or something.

Mohoney
07-10-2004, 02:48 AM
I was also shocked by the size of the crowd. What gives Sox fans? I guess most people will show up tomorrow for the fireworks. Also, the weather was a little suspect late in the afternoon. Still, I expected more people tonight.

I'm thinking that Sunday's crowd will be big, too. Willy Wonka Kids Day is usually a decent draw. Plus, people that couldn't make it to see Freddy pitch on Tuesday will show up Sunday.

Maybe we can get over 30,000 for both Saturday and Sunday, putting us at over 80,000 for a 3 game set against a last-place team.

StockdaleForVeep
07-10-2004, 03:01 AM
I was unable to see tonights game, can i get the low down as to how magz ran\fielded today? I know the concern wasnt swinging but running and despite a great day today, it may affect him, then again vlad still runs sorta with a limp and yet he still titanly hits the ball out.

SSN721
07-10-2004, 09:38 AM
I was very pleased with tonight. Jon is becoming more and more of an ace in my opinion, if he can get over that mental hump that has plagued him in his still very young career he will be a 3 or 2 or dare I say staff ace. He has dynamite stuff and even though I have been mad at him this year you cant deny how dominating he looks when his game is on. Also have to say I am very dissapointed in Carlos Lee lately. Not the hitting, but this ridiculous grandstanding. Like an earlier poster said, I think he forgot what happened earlier this year, it is very ppor sportsmanship in my opinion. That first home run was not a no doubter, he had no right not running it out til he saw it go, and even thought hte second one was clocked he needs to just take his bases and not ****ing grandstand, drives me nuts. ANd I also didnt understand using Marte and Shingo in a 5 run (til marte gave up the homer) game. But screw all that, 2 game in a row one tonight and we have a winning streak on our hands. :D: :bandance: :gulp:

Blob
07-10-2004, 09:50 AM

THANK YOU!

LongLiveFisk
07-10-2004, 09:56 AM
I was unable to see tonights game, can i get the low down as to how magz ran\fielded today? I know the concern wasnt swinging but running and despite a great day today, it may affect him, then again vlad still runs sorta with a limp and yet he still titanly hits the ball out.
Mags was the DH tonight so we can't help you with the fielding aspect, but as far as I could tell he seemed to be running the bases just fine.

Realist

I'll be there tomorrow.
I had tickets, but I was freaking exhausted and I slept through the entire game. I fell asleep at 6:30 pm and woke up at 10:45 pm. It's probably best. Our record in games I've attended is terrible this year. In fact it's the opposite of last year (24-9). I'm even thinking of nicknaming myself the "Mook". Put a towel on my head and lock me in the bathroom. I want wins.... lots of wins.

Wake me for the parade. :drunken:

Blob
I got seats just a few rows in front of the bullpen, close enough to yell "JUDY, DON'T CHOKE!" loud enough for Garland to hear.
More positive reinforcement from you, you have to be the best Sox fan ever!

You, are awesome...

Blob
07-10-2004, 09:58 AM
:troll
:dtroll:
THAT is hitting the nail on the head!!!

Blob
07-10-2004, 09:59 AM
yeah that was a great idea.
but it kind of freaked me out when they said "stay around to watch ozzies press conference on the jumbotron"
i thought for sure they were going to announce a huge blockbuster trade or something.
They have been doing that for almost a month now. Awesome idea!

samram
07-10-2004, 10:01 AM
He was the DH, so obviously no problems in the field. He seemed to run ok- he was able to get a double on a ball in the gap. The good thing was he scored on both on Carlos' homers, so he didn't have to make a hard turn at third or slide into home.

jabrch
07-10-2004, 11:22 AM
But should we OVERpay him?

owensmouth
07-10-2004, 12:02 PM
But should we OVERpay him?
If you don't pay him what some others will pay him, you won't have him.